Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Well ... so much for Global Warming this year ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Well ... so much for Global Warming this year ...

Sep 23, 2020, 4:16 PM

My Zoysia Grass is gonna be pizzed ! It was hot in July and into August though for some reason ...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/october-begin-widespread-arctic-outbreak-181321312.html
https://media.zenfs.com/en-us/accuweather_297/91a64c84cee47a26286df4fe1dbcf336">
https://media.zenfs.com/en-us/accuweather_297/91a64c84cee47a26286df4fe1dbcf336">

fred

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well ... so much for Global Warming this year ...

Sep 23, 2020, 4:22 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spiders are extinct...

Sep 23, 2020, 4:25 PM

I didn't see one today.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?

Sep 23, 2020, 4:31 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtHZn5X5bXM&ab_channel=allluckyseven

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2020, 4:33 PM

I guess I could get into a long winded diatribe about our jet stream is becoming destabilized and causing these polar vortexes, but it would be lost on you.

I am sure at some point you daddy pulled you aside when you where a kid and told you that if you had nothing to add to the conversation, then it is best to keep quiet.

I am offering you that advice again.

For those of you that have any actual interest in the science, here you go.

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/31102018/jet-stream-climate-change-study-extreme-weather-arctic-amplification-temperature

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2020, 5:00 PM

Owning both sides of an argument is the strategy of the day. Pick a topic...any topic...and see that strategy employed to the fullest extent.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Weather isn't climate, they like to say. Unless it's hot. Then, ZOMG!!1! **

Sep 23, 2020, 8:27 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Sep 23, 2020, 7:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Well ... so much for Global Warming this year ... ]

I wonder if “inside climate news dot ORG” gets any clicks if they say things are normal.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's called climate change. Keep up with the times.

Sep 23, 2020, 5:22 PM

The climate is guaranteed to change.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As someone who is is obsessed with disease killing us all

Sep 23, 2020, 5:26 PM

it's amazing how dismissive you are regarding climate change.

I'm not dismissive at all. The climate is changing.

Sep 23, 2020, 5:28 PM

Always has. I'd be worried as hell if it didn't change.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

right, but you're not worried about what that means

Sep 23, 2020, 5:38 PM

especially in relation to disease.

Of course. You can blame everything from famine,

Sep 23, 2020, 5:46 PM

Starvation, disease, wars...... Anything and everything on climate change. But.... Just what should we do to stabilize the climate so it doesn't change. Because that would be very weird having an unchanging climate.

Climate scientists in 60s/70s were predicting starvation

Sep 23, 2020, 5:50 PM

From global cooling reeking havoc on farming

It's the same anticapitalists.

Sep 23, 2020, 5:53 PM

Global cooling. Warming. Climate change. BLM. Peace. Hippies. Occupy Wall Street. MeToo. Same crowd. Whatever reason they can find they will find.

Re: It's the same anticapitalists.

Sep 23, 2020, 6:58 PM

You know I have gained a lot of respect for you in the past few months. I know that you are smart enough to understand that 7 Billion people digging billions of years of trapped sunlight from the earth and setting it on fire might just be be accelerating this process.

^^^WPOTD^^^***

Sep 23, 2020, 8:33 PM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Thank goodness.

Sep 23, 2020, 8:40 PM [ in reply to Re: It's the same anticapitalists. ]

The ocean temperature here is a little too cold for a lot of coral. Warming will make it better.
And Canadian farming. Siberian too.

Do you happen to know what the ideal temperature of the Earth really is? With all the warming and cooling over billions of years, we wouldn't have happened to just luck out and be on the ideal temperature 100 years ago, could we?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

eggzackly***

Sep 23, 2020, 8:26 PM [ in reply to Climate scientists in 60s/70s were predicting starvation ]

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Well, if the rate of change is accelerated

Sep 23, 2020, 5:56 PM [ in reply to Of course. You can blame everything from famine, ]

due to human activity, I probably would look at strategies involving mitigation, adaptation, and engineering to deal with the threat. (Obviously this is the very concise answer to your question, but we can expand on just what might be involved in those strategies if you wish).

and even if you don't think climate change is caused or made worse by human activity, then you still should be very worried about the accelerated change we've seen in the climate and what that means regarding faminine, starvation, disease, wars and agree that we need to start dealing with it.

Nature will deal with us.

Sep 23, 2020, 6:05 PM

Way I see it. Honestly with population growth as it is.... Nature will take care of long before global warming does. Not worried at all.

In fact this entirely consistent with my first post on covid in January. Said it worries me more than global warming.

"nature will take care of us before global warming does"

Sep 23, 2020, 6:08 PM

wait, are you saying nature and global warming aren't the same?

I'm saying we won't destroy the Earth.

Sep 23, 2020, 6:25 PM

It will destroy us first. We're reaching that point. Global warming, cooling, climate change, we are a blip among life on Earth. And our population expansion is a hairline sliver in the scheme of life, earth, the climate, whatever. We are not going to ever have a Wall-E world. ###### movie scared the hell out of my kids. That will not happen. Covid is just a tap on the shoulder to remind us. So was. AIDS.

But for anticapitalists it's a helluva opportunity to attack.

Ever wonder why the global warming alarmists seem so prevelent in capitalist democracies. Where are THE Iranians here. The Chinese? The Russians? The DPRK? Humm..... Most populous country on Earth and they're worse than we are with the environment. It's politicized just like covid.

Let's not help the Earth destroy us, how about that?

Sep 23, 2020, 6:36 PM

I just can't understand such a nihilistic approach to our existence on this Earth. Nor can I understand decrying the politicizing of climate change while also exclaiming it's all a ploy driving by the anticapitalists.

My only point(s) I want to get across to you is that whether or not you see the threat of climate change as driven by human activity, nature, or God bringing about the apocalypse that 1.)Climate Change drives many of the threats you are passionate about and 2.)There are things we can do to solve the problem if we can all agree there is a problem.

Well, I’m about to check out because I got a rehearsal...

Sep 23, 2020, 6:15 PM [ in reply to Well, if the rate of change is accelerated ]

so I can’t stay and debate and argue.

I think your post is a very good post.

As my response to the OP demonstrates, it is foolish to deny climate change. It is observable science. It is happening. Obviously we disagree on its cause.

I think we should be responsible with the earth and not pollute it. But I also believe climate change is the natural cycle of our earth existing in our universe.

I believe man, on one hand, underestimates his significance in our universe as exhibited by our hatred and mistreatment of each other. On the other hand, I believe we overestimate our power to control the universe. We really only have control over ourselves.

Of the things you mentioned, yes, I am concerned. Am I worried, no. I usually do not worry about things I have no control of...and interesting it seems I have read about famine, starvation, disease, and wars somewhere before. They may be significant. Looking around the planet at all the unrest and natural phenomena is certainly something to think about.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll post the example of the Ozone Layer Hole again here

Sep 23, 2020, 6:29 PM

to illustrate that sometimes we undervalue/underestimate our ability to destroy but also correct our mistakes and their effects on the planet. The success we saw in dealing with the very real threat/event/scenario of the Ozone layer depletion should serve to illustrate what can happen to deal with Climate Change as well. We should not discount the ability of human ingeniuity and problem solving. We just have to get everyone to first agree there is a problem...

That's just more evidence that climate is changing.

Sep 23, 2020, 6:35 PM

I've seen climate change for 68 years now. About every 3-4 months it changes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you obviously have a lot more experience here

Sep 23, 2020, 9:08 PM

how far into the greek alphabet will we go with Atlantic storm names this year?

what's disappointing is that 2020 likely won't surpass 2005 in

Sep 23, 2020, 9:19 PM

either hurricanes or major hurricanes. where's the juice?

we can keep hoping for Trump's Katrina though.

Re: what's disappointing is that 2020 likely won't surpass 2005 in

Sep 23, 2020, 9:37 PM

We made it to Alpha in 2005, on October 22nd.

Grapes vines grew in Newfoundland back in days of old ...

Sep 23, 2020, 11:07 PM

Thats why the Vikings called it "Vineland", cause it had grapes and they could make wine and grape jelly.

But then, it got cold ... and the Viking abandoned Newfoundland cause it got way too cold and the Native Americans there were kicking their buttocks

So they went back to Europe and became French (Normandy) and invaded England

Yes, the Climate Changes all the time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic