Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It’s an honor to be named in top schools for top players that we aren’t actively recruiting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

It’s an honor to be named in top schools for top players that we aren’t actively recruiting

May 28, 2019, 7:26 AM

This is how good the program is right now

Marshawn Lloyd listed us as one of his top schools yesterday. I didn’t think we are actively recruiting him.

My UGA friend came to me pounding his chest saying that they beat us out for Jalen Carter. I said who?

And as much as I would like to have Darnell Washington. Who is the number 1 TE and some people say he is the next Zion Williamson of college football. Is this the case again? Are we actively recruiting him? He listed us in his top 7.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think either Lloyd or Carter had committable offers

May 28, 2019, 7:59 AM

from Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Actually, Clemson (Dabo) will only make a committable offer

May 28, 2019, 11:59 AM

to recruits, which is why we offer the least amount of schollys than any other school. I believe that all that happens is that once a player decides that they want to continue their recruiting process, they simply get placed on the position board at a priority number based on the other recruits that have offers. What Clemson (Dabo) won't do is rescind the offer, but will tell the recruit where they stand on the board in order of priority. We've actually heard from recruits that this happens.

For instance, early in the recruiting process, Jaylon Knighton received an offer, was slotted based on priority but he also expressed very high interest in the program but was not ready to commit. I don't know how TE, JS and DS decided on the priority order, but Knighton was not slotted as high as Bowman, Evans, Milton or Pryor so that when he was actually ready to commit, he had to be told that there were higher takes now on the board.

Could that be called a non-committable offer? For me, it doesn't because the recruit did have an opportunity to make his commitment but chose not to. I would like to think that Dabo & Co. would only offer a player they would like to take, and would be willing to accept the offer if the player agrees to honor their "commitment' as Dabo defines it. If said player wants to continue to take visits and such, then they get a priority slot and are told where they fall and that other offers may be extended. To me, this is reflected in the staff telling players that an offer could be coming but they have to work hard and remain patient (as in the case of Michel Dukes and Kobe Pryor). NOw, this is all my humble opinion based on my observation and reading of various recruiting stories, but it is also based on Dabo's value of honesty with players and their families and maybe only one or two recruits ever having accused Dabo of not being honest...

and honestly, I don't want Clemson to ever have committable vs non-committable offers out there because so many other schools actually do have them out there, and this will continue to set Clemson above and apart from all the rest...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Actually, Clemson (Dabo) will only make a committable offer

May 28, 2019, 1:29 PM

I agree with you on Dabo's philosophy, although I'm not sure about the prioritizing after the fact. It seems that once a player receives an offer it remains available until numbers are full at the position. Many times you see players speed up commitments due to numbers. We may back off and not show interest if we have alternate priorities, but it would surprise me if a player with an offer was told no for anything other than numbers.

Another contributing factor is Dabo's stance on players visiting. If your not willing to show up we are not interested. If you are truly interested in Clemson you will hold an official for September when we start hosting recruits.

It does amaze me that we are sitting on the #1 class and still being very selective with our offers. Character remains the #1 criteria for recruitment by Clemson. Go Tigers!

null

May 29, 2019, 5:48 PM

I would tend to agree except, Bowman and Knighton have both had offers for a while but there seemed to be a shifting of staff priority once Bowman visited for the Feb Junior Day. Trenton Simpson has always coveted an offer, but we are going all the way to signing day for Justin Flowe, Sa'vell Smalls appears to only be a fall back should Burch go elsewhere, and Reggie Grimes has been turned away for numbers for both as a DE or a OLB even though Burch and Flowe are not committed.

Mikey Dukes got his offer last year only after Jerrion Ealy committed to ole ####, and was told to be patient because we were only taking 2 RBs last year. I just see priorities in those scenarios...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2019, 1:49 PM [ in reply to Actually, Clemson (Dabo) will only make a committable offer ]

I believe when Bowman and Pryor committed the opening for any other RB narrowed to a sliver.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 29, 2019, 5:35 PM

definitely, but prior to Bowman and Pryor, Knighton was on the radar, stated Clemson as his leader but continued to take visits and enjoy the process. When Bowman visited early this year and made his interest known, our interest in Knighton cooled... maybe Bowman had already given a silent commit after the Feb Junior Day but that was also about the time that Knighton made some curious comments that I interpreted that the priorities shifted for the staff and Knighton was not as much a priority anymore... recruits over the years have also stated that they know where they stand on the position board; the the top guy on the board, the coaches tell them that they want them, the coaches tell them they will hold a spot until signing day. I think Justin Flowe will have a spot until he says he's going elsewhere, where as Trenton Simpson still has not received an offer. Simpson is a guy I take right now if he wants to sign but the staff has held back on him, staff has held back on Sa'vell Smalls because we are pursuing Burch. Staff told Reggie Grimes he was not a take because of the "numbers"...

I just think that the staff has priorities and will share that with recruits to be transparent...

May 28, 2019, 5:01 PM [ in reply to Actually, Clemson (Dabo) will only make a committable offer ]

This is a very insightful post. Thank you for sharing

Thanks for the kind words...

May 29, 2019, 5:38 PM

two eyes, two ears and one mouth has learned me to see and hear more than I speak... ??

A Clemson offer is like a Wonka golden ticket

May 28, 2019, 8:05 AM

We kinda recruited Washington, but didn't gain any traction. I think the staff still communicates with him lightly. If we can score a visit, then might as well keep recruiting him.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: A Clemson offer is like a Wonka golden ticket

May 28, 2019, 8:53 AM

A point for the "golden ticket" reference!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's nice to see Clemson's name in the marquee lights...

May 28, 2019, 9:23 AM

247 reports each of the three had offers from the Tigers, which means, according to @davidhood®, these recruits were pretty much lavaliered by Dabo before that offer went out. There are a precious few extended.

DHood's article mentions 165 offers for 2019, fewer in 2018, not sure how many in 2020[?], but even if Clemson extends the fewest in all of college football again this cycle, there's just not room for all - things sometimes changes, spots will fill up, which seems the case with Carter & Lloyd.

https://www.tigernet.com/story/Clemson-Recruiting-Why-Dabo-Swinney-extends-fewer-offers-than-everyone-else-17546

This board used to long for any mention, any fond word toward Clemson from a targeted recruit, something, anything to give people hope and the feels good.

Now, a few, short years removed, it's given freely & often - these are good times, enjoy them.

The only two things in life that make it worth livin', is guitars that tune good and firm feelin' women...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^Bought off Crump^^^

May 28, 2019, 9:28 AM

Glad to have you back my friend.....

null

Speek four your self.

May 28, 2019, 9:29 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Shhhh....I'm trying to butter' her up. She just

May 28, 2019, 9:31 AM

got out of prison......she's vulnerable.

null

Hey, hey, back off big fella...

May 28, 2019, 9:36 AM

I'm spoken for...

There's an old face, not even a mother could love...

May 28, 2019, 9:36 AM [ in reply to ^^^Bought off Crump^^^ ]

Haha, sup DTU? Good to see you still kickin' it around brother.

Don't get to post as much as before....but I do

May 28, 2019, 1:14 PM

daily drive-bys...

null

Re: Don't get to post as much as before....but I do

May 28, 2019, 5:09 PM

I think what is most impressive is how well we develop players. Which first starts from identifying talent correctly. It seems our team is finding treasures everywhere. The next thing is finding hungry players (Academically, Personally and Football). This drive to fill all three buckets helps us build that winning culture.

But last but not least. Winning big games, national championships and having success around the country helps younger kids wanna come to Clemson. It’s the hip school. Everyone wants an offer from here.

What I like about this class is we could recruit anyone we wanted and sell out culture, fit or personality. Yet we hold to our standard. This is why we will continue to have success against other programs.

No Waylan reference should go unnoticed +1***

May 28, 2019, 11:14 AM [ in reply to It's nice to see Clemson's name in the marquee lights... ]

He left out his penchant for bourbon....***

May 29, 2019, 8:13 PM [ in reply to It's nice to see Clemson's name in the marquee lights... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic