Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Special teams observation .....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,089

Special teams observation .....

Dec 26, 2020, 1:56 PM

I think a lot of people in the media and others in general look at where we typically rank in special teams and think our special teams are not very good. I even see people on here that complain about our special teams statistics..

I think this is 100% by design!

If you notice in the big games we have ETN return kicks and our punt returner‘s, whether it’s Amari or whoever, get much more aggressive!

I think Dabo’s philosophy is, why risk an injury or a turnover, which can happen easily on a kick or a punt return, when you have an offense as good as ours. Obviously in the big games a huge special teams play can make a game changing difference, but in other games he has so much confidence in our offense and defense that it’s not worth the risk of getting someone hurt or a turnover.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Special teams observation .....

Dec 26, 2020, 2:02 PM

In general if you are superior physically to another team you can play safe on special teams - kick out of the end zone, don’t return kickoffs or punts, rugby style or hang time punts with no return and kick field goals. You count on beating those teams easily with your O and D. No need to risk anything. In the postseason you may need to steal a possession with a fake or turn momentum with a big return or a blocked kick or fake. Most days you would take a draw on special teams and win with O or D. We are lucky we are superior to most teams talent wise.

Dec 26, 2020, 2:08 PM

Interesting observations and I’ll bet you’re not far off the truth. Eager to see how it plays out Friday.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 26, 2020, 2:47 PM

Precisely.

We know for a fact that a disproportionate number of injuries happen on kick/punt returns which is why those rules have been changed over the last few years.

And I would be willing to bet if you took the time to do the statistical research you would find that turnovers happen at a disproportionate rate on special-teams plays.

Dec 26, 2020, 2:52 PM

One of these days I’m going to try and research exactly how they compute special-teams rankings because we always have good kickers and punters and we usually don’t give up many big returns. Usually the only part of our special teams that you would expect to rank low would be our punt and kick return yardage because we prefer to play it safe, but in all other ways our special teams are typically very very good! So it is odd that our special teams always rank so low.

Dec 26, 2020, 4:20 PM

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,089
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic