Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Speaking of Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 597

Speaking of Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben...

Jun 17, 2020, 10:11 AM

any of yous ever pick up on this in grade school in the south? Of course not. It's subtle and nefarious. I wonder where we'd be as a region if this wasn't taught for most of the 20th century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOkFXPblLpU&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1xjoveqUB17s_LfWUPLsc9pSl_KLb3OACm-uMIP7HSSOTYZiy_WR_goKc

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you had a grandfather like mine

Jun 17, 2020, 10:18 AM

even though men at work would call him a ###### lover behind his back, my grandfather still let my dads black football buds stay over for sleepovers, camping, family trips.

I am extremely proud of my Southern upbringing and very proud that my family took that stance when it wasn't popular. My granddad was knows as man of character and as time marched on, the way he treated the black kids as the same as the white kids, he became a legend.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you had a grandfather like mine- my grandfather owned

Jun 17, 2020, 11:27 AM

Oldsmobiles and Pontiacs. Cant even get those anymore. Another example of taking away anything a southerner might have owned. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Speaking of Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben...

Jun 17, 2020, 10:28 AM

I grew up believing the lost cause and states rights version of the Civil War. Sorry guys, of course I mean the War of Northern Aggression.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Speaking of Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben...

Jun 17, 2020, 11:28 AM

we love the Uncle Bens rice in a pouch. Probably that will get taken away too

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Y’all must have gone to school at the Jefferson Davis

Jun 17, 2020, 11:49 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You may be too young. All those private schools like

Jun 17, 2020, 12:17 PM

Jefferson Davis were created when SC was finally forced to integrate in the late 60s.

The confederacy was glorified in public schools before integration in the 60s when I attended public school.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You may be too young. All those private schools like

Jun 17, 2020, 12:25 PM

Outlaying areas? Are you saying the Confederacy wasn’t

Jun 17, 2020, 12:49 PM

glorified in Charleston, Columbia, Greenville, and other larger towns?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Outlaying areas? Are you saying the Confederacy wasn’t

Jun 17, 2020, 1:34 PM

Where did you grow up? Ft. Jackson?***

Jun 17, 2020, 3:03 PM

60 and 70 year olds passed their beliefs, ideals,

Jun 17, 2020, 1:34 PM [ in reply to Re: You may be too young. All those private schools like ]

and knowledge to their kids, which has a MUCH bigger impact on kids than textbooks in the '70s, '80s, and '90s.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Y’all must have gone to school at the Jefferson Davis

Jun 17, 2020, 1:27 PM [ in reply to Y’all must have gone to school at the Jefferson Davis ]

Considering the Confederate flag wasn't taken down from the State House until 2000 (and then promptly displayed at the confederate monument on said grounds), I have a hard time believing this. It's possible you don't remember just how romanticized the version of history they taught you was. For example, much after you came along we took a field trip to a plantation in Charleston for our 8th grade SC History class. We even got to pick some cotton ourselves! We oohed and aahed at the slave quarters. Oh memories. Don't get me wrong, we weren't taught that slavery was good per se, yet everything about the trip sure did have a fun feel. That's just the more gentle version of slavery, I didn't want to turn this into a states rights vs. slavery for succession thread.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Y’all must have gone to school at the Jefferson Davis

Jun 17, 2020, 1:44 PM

Sure. Edgefield is like the heart of Dixie. We

Jun 17, 2020, 12:10 PM

would have field trips to Oakley Park the Red Shirt Shrine and the Red Shirts would be glorified:

https://www.deseret.com/2014/12/20/20474706/museum-remembers-controversial-sc-red-shirts#the-mansion-at-oakley-park-is-shown-on-friday-dec-5-2014-in-edgefield-s-c-the-home-was-owned-by-a-confederate-general-and-is-now-a-museum-run-by-the-united-daughters-of-the-confederacy-to-remember-the-red-shirts-who-ended-reconstruction-in-south-carolina-through-violence-intimidation-and-political-maneuvering

My dad was taught this and he’s not 60 yet. Attended

Jun 17, 2020, 12:53 PM

schools in Columbia.

It depended on the teacher for the most part when I was coming through. There was always some editorializing by some of them. And why wouldn’t they? It’s what they were taught.

Don't remember anything like this

Jun 17, 2020, 1:30 PM

Also, LOL at the guy wearing a "Let Trans Women Live" shirt while trying to make an explainer video

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You’re way too young.***

Jun 17, 2020, 1:31 PM

I was taught this living in Chesterfield VA in the 70s.***

Jun 17, 2020, 3:11 PM

Replies: 18
| visibility 597
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic