Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sorry. Yet another Rush post.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Sorry. Yet another Rush post.

Feb 18, 2021, 8:28 AM

Let me first say, I'm not mocking or celebrating the man's death. I know he had friends and family who are mourning him. Let me say that again because some people don't read well here: I'm not mocking or celebrating his death.

But what I am saying is, pretty much no one has room to get butthurt about those who are.

Let me take y'all into the Tigernet wayback machine. Let's go back to the early 2000s, when gas was still under a buck, N'Sync was poisoning the airwaves, and Donald Trump was still authentically behaving like the pro-choice, atheist, anti-family values man that he really is.

There was a Gamecock fan named Trooper Del. If you were around here during that time, just the mention of his name will start to make your temperature rise.

Trooper wasn't your typical annoying Gamecock fan who was riddled with sad, faulty logic. Trooper Del was genuine sociopath. He actively sought to make life miserable for others. His most infamous moment came when he offered a $1,000 bounty for any player to break Jad Dean's jaw. He was well known for trying to track down identities of posters (and not just Clemson fans... he would target Gamecock fans whom he felt were not fully loyal to Lou Holtz) and try to ruin their lives. This man saw the Internet as his personal battleground, and anyone with a different opinion than him deserved ruin at his hands in his twisted little mind. He once referred to Jim Valvano as "Cancer Boy".

Trooper was likely the kind of guy who vandalized Clemson cars at games, or threw liquor bottles at people

I like to mock people on here who challenge others to fights, and deservedly so. But I'll have to make a confession. I told ole Troop online way back then that I wanted to have a go with him, and I #### well meant it. So maybe I'm in that crowd too, but this guy deserved it.

Trooper Del was also a fat ###. This isn't important to the story, but details are worth noting.

One day, word came around that Trooper had died. I think maybe a heart attack or something along those lines. Some Gamecock fans dug up an article on him in a local paper; apparently he was a regular at some diner in the Midwest and the patrons talked about him. He was, not surprisingly, pretty alone in life other than this diner. Well, it wasn't long before both Clemson and Gamecock fans were pouring on in the comments section of the article, setting the record straight about what kind of person he actually was.

I think maybe it was his sister that jumped in there and started going at everyone in the comments. How dare they attack this man after he just passed? Show some respect! We're mourning him.

One person replied gently but firmly with her along these lines, "Ma'am, we're sorry for your loss, but your brother worked actively to hurt others and make other people's lives miserable. I'm sorry you never saw that side of him, but that's who he was. You'll have to excuse us if we do not exhibit any respect, but he had it coming."

And so did Rush. Rush Limbaugh wasn't a good person, and shame on anyone who thinks he was. That's fine if you agreed with his political opinions. There's nothing wrong with that. There's nothing wrong with Rush having his political opinions.

It's the way Rush attacked and treated other people who were different than him, the same way Trooper Del did. If you are mad that people are celebrating his death, but you didn't get mad at Rush when he cheered the deaths of gay people from AIDS, you have no room to speak. You're part of the problem.

I 100 percent recognize all Rush did for radio. He is deservedly an icon and an innovator when it comes to that craft. And sure, honor him for that part. But do not pretend he was a saint or that this hate directed at him isn't deserved. He attacked and mocked others. He was good at it. It helped him build his brand. But that was the choice he made. So tuck in the butthurt... again, if you didn't get mad when Rush attacked people, don't get mad now.

It simply goes back to the old adage: Don't start none, won't be none.

Hope the fires are extra hot today, Trooper Del.

Message was edited by: Catahoula®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

I'm going to ignore the Rush part and simply remember

Feb 18, 2021, 8:46 AM

TrooperDel. What an unbelievable character that guy was. He haunted FGF. He was QAnon before there was QAnon. The most vile, vicious, unbelievably hateful bottom dweller. I seem to remember a series of scoks after Del disappeared that posted very much like him, if not scoks then copycat accounts.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm going to ignore the Rush part and simply remember

Feb 18, 2021, 8:47 AM

No doubt, a truly miserable individual. I'm assuming he had a sad real life and took it out online. I do remember those scoks as well.

There are few times in my life where I've been pleased when someone kicked the bucket, and he is one of them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Re: I'm going to ignore the Rush part and simply remember

Feb 18, 2021, 8:50 AM [ in reply to I'm going to ignore the Rush part and simply remember ]

Also, want to add, I have an alter ego on FGF that I've been meticulously crafting since I want to say 2004? Whenever they hired Steve Spurrier. I created the handle "GameCockNFire," which still returns to twist the knife into the heart of gamecocks to this day. So many times called a tater, so many vociferous arguments claiming that no, in fact, middle-aged, twice divorced, retired due to disability former forklift operator at Michelin one Bill Franco of Saluda aka "GameCockNFire" was a two-time graduate of USC. An Alum. A TRUE fan.

Not all heroes wear capes.***

Feb 18, 2021, 8:53 AM

Re: Sorry. Yet another Rush post.

Feb 18, 2021, 8:59 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2021, 9:19 AM

I never listened to Rush much after the mid 90's. He had an agile mind, but his success to me was based more on showmanship than what he was articulating. To me, he was sort of like Ali who said outrageous things about Joe Frazier to pump the gate.

Rush paid Elton John a cool million to perform at his wedding in 2010. Rush personally believed homosexuality was biologically determined and even supported civil unions. I'm not sure he was a true gay basher.

A number of people have come out with anecdotes regarding the generosity of Limbaugh behind the scenes.

I don't know the man, doubt anyone on this site does. I'm not sure we can say with certainty that he was not a good person.Again, while I am conservative, Rush was too bombastic and too much of a shock jock for me to enjoy. I prefer my tea a tad cooler with Hugh Hewitt and Dennis Prager as examples.

I do appreciate the efforts of Rush in promoting conservatism. RIP Rush.

Feb 18, 2021, 9:23 AM

Have you ever seen the movie The Last Supper? I sometimes wonder if Rush is like Ron Perlman's character (and I think that was the insinuation in the movie). All of his act is just for show, but in reality, he's not really that way.

Which gives me mixed feelings when people attack him after he dies. Does a person deserve such hate for pretending to be cruel when he really wasn't that way?

I don't pretend to have answers to that. I didn't hate Rush; I had more problems with the people who just blindly believed whatever he told them. I won't celebrate his death because, again, I know a lot of people are hurting because of it. Just wish people would pump the brakes on the sainthood and outrage.

This isn't directed at you whatsoever, but I genuinely

Feb 18, 2021, 1:38 PM

believe that the glee and pride that a certain percent of the population celebrates other's deaths is a real sign of how far we have devolved as a "civilization".

It's this whole "right side of history" mantra and mindset just emboldening us into reprehensible behaviors, and I'm not limiting the topic to Rush.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Perhaps...

Feb 18, 2021, 1:47 PM

But then again, has much changed? We used to have public executions and people cheered. Deaths were probably celebrated even more in long ago. I think we can just see it quicker now with social media.

I dunno. A lot of people have always sucked and they cheer the misfortune of others. I think celebrating a person's death because you disagreed with his politics is pretty poor taste. I think with Rush, their ire is misguided. There's a good chance a lot of Rush was an act and a caricature. The anger probably is better directed at those who lapped it up.

But yeah, I would agree, if you're celebrating the death of a celebrity because you just didn't like his opinions, well...

Celebrating an Osama or something like that? I mean, you know, that's fine. I guess. Or, you know, Justin Bieber.

Perhaps you should google "Rush Limbaugh Philanthropy"

Feb 18, 2021, 9:30 AM

You might be surprised.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Hey, I think that's great.

Feb 18, 2021, 9:33 AM

Good on him. Does that erase the hateful things he has said and directed at others, while also influencing others to embrace that hate? Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe we're all just like Rush. Villain to some and hero to others. He was just louder and had a platform.

Re: Hey, I think that's great.

Feb 18, 2021, 10:05 AM

I listened to Rush when it was convenient (e.g., out to lunch in the car). Didn't go out of my way to turn on the radio very much at home or in the office, but would from time to time. I knew of him and the 90s and would listen then and now.

In 30 years, never heard him attack anyone, mock people, make fun of people to such an extent that gave me pause.

When you are on air for 3 hr/day every weekday, a lot of chitty people can take a lot of chit out of context to give you the opinion you have...

I heartily agreed with the yuge majority of his comments about the left.

Feb 18, 2021, 10:11 AM

Which part about the gay people dying of AIDS was taken out of context?

He said that it didn't give him pause

Feb 18, 2021, 10:30 AM

not that it didn't happen.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2021, 10:43 AM [ in reply to Re: Hey, I think that's great. ]

Dunno, but give me the entire context and I will tell you. Entire context would mean, for example, a tape of the whole broadcast. Or if it was a tweet or whatever, the entire context would be tweets before and after and the discussions he was having at the time on the radio show.

Do you get "context?"

I know you people only think in 140 character snippets, so context could be a foreign term.

I never heard him say he wanted all gays to die from aids. It sounds over-the-top and I suspect if you asked him in a private, locker-room setting if he wanted all gays to die, he would say no like all reasonable people.

When you die, do you think people will pull out a few TNet posts to defend their celebration. If they did do you think it would be fair? How about if those people got together and made some signs and took those signs with bullhorns to your funeral to exercise their first amendment rights to make their opinions known to your family?

We can't ask him in any setting

Feb 18, 2021, 10:50 AM

cause he's dead. What a ##### dumb### argument. Can you give any context that would be appropriate for a segment devoted to people dying from aids?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2021, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Hey, I think that's great. ]

When you die, do you think people will pull out a few TNet posts to defend their celebration.

When I'm approaching the end, I will not give two ##### what is said about me on Tigernet or my post history, and if that did matter to me, I've taken some serious missteps somewhere in life.

Ain't none of y'all really know me anymore than I really know you. Except Aero. He and I have both seen each other at some of our drunken worst.

Like anything, it appears there's quite a bit more nuance

Feb 18, 2021, 1:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Hey, I think that's great. ]

to it than initially presented.

He certainly apologized for it quickly and attempted to make amends for his error in judgement in a manner that was far more extensive than others whose deaths we aren't comfortable mocking.

https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check-did-rush-limbaugh-mock-aids-death-radio-show-1570282

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rush ran a segment in the 90s where he made fun of AIDS victims dying

Feb 18, 2021, 9:36 AM

So I don't want to hear from snowflakes who clutch pearls because the ghey community is celebrating the world ridding itself of a cancer.

Feb 18, 2021, 9:42 AM

LOL. I remember old Trooper Del well.

Actually there's a reminder of old Trooper still lingering on the "comments" section of my profile since I never took it off about ole Del.

"quozzel sez: "My lifelong ambition is to be a Viking, and to pillage and burn Columbia....I vill al-so grind Rusty de Rooster and Pooper Del underfoot and heah da lamentations of de womens."

He was a character that fellow.

Old Rusty, too.

Feb 18, 2021, 9:57 AM

Talk about your quintessential mullet-headed, Fighting #### Whiskey drinking, ride your bumper on the interstate with his old pickup, Toby Keith-listening Gamecock fan.

Trooper Del...

Feb 18, 2021, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Re: Sorry. Yet another Rush post. ]

A guy I haven’t thought of in years. Had a few online run-ins with him back in the day. Miura reminds me of him a bit...maybe ol’ TD back to haunt us.

Can't believe I'll defend Miura here...

Feb 18, 2021, 10:14 AM

But I don't think he (or anyone on this particular board) fits Trooper's mold. That guy was pure evil scum. Some folks are loud trolls, but they aren't trying to ruin people's lives.

Fair enough...

Feb 18, 2021, 10:21 AM

should have said that it’s not so much the vitriol, but the persistence! Agree that I’ve never quite seen anyone like TD!

Feb 18, 2021, 10:47 AM

I looked it up and he apologized and showed remorse for doing that. Said it was the single most regretful thing he had ever done.

Feb 18, 2021, 10:58 AM

Didn't know that, and I'm glad to hear he had a change of heart.

Oh yeah, I remember Trooper well... and Rusty too... I posted

Feb 18, 2021, 11:21 AM

about it a while back in the Football forum. I'll look for it in a minute. I was a member of several message boards besides TigerNet, back in the day - borderwars & allsportstalk come to mind. As well as Lamecock boards. Went back and forth with those aholes many times on different forums. They were everywhere. My handle was typically "79Tiger" or some variation of that...

I also remember the article you referenced, I think it was linked on CockyTalk. As I recall, he was in the Chicago area and fancied himself to be a hardcore "foodie" and culinary expert...

As you said, he was a foul human being... or at least his online persona was. Just way outside the norms of decency. I can remember him bragging about sending gay pron to the offices of several people.

As my Mom used to say: don't make your bed hard, cause you'll have to lay in it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

here it is

Feb 18, 2021, 11:39 AM

trooper
2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that was me.

Feb 18, 2021, 11:29 AM

and it was his obituary blog. I linked it in the mange.

I was a bit of a drunk back then. he committed bank fraud against me and several other members of CU tigers., he sure as shit had it coming.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sorry, disagreeing with and mocking liberals isn't nearly

Feb 18, 2021, 11:31 AM

the same thing as trying to ruin people's lives.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2021, 1:16 PM

I, too, send positive thought to his family. They lost someone important to them. As a human being I empathize with them.

OTOH, Rush Limbaugh was a misleading, divisive SOB who did damage to this nation for his own profit. All of this undue respect and Medal of Freedom bullyshitt is just that - bullyshit.

America will be better off without him.

I would like to fully apologize to you on behalf of all

Feb 18, 2021, 1:31 PM

of those whose opinions are different from yours. Godspeed.

Re: I would like to fully apologize to you on behalf of all

Feb 18, 2021, 2:39 PM

O

Thank you

God speeds, but he has a lousy connection.

Cotdam, Cata, I am not going to sit here and allow you

Feb 18, 2021, 1:49 PM

to besmirch N'Sync.

#### you, kind sir

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only thing I will say about Rush is that I just never "got it".

Feb 18, 2021, 1:58 PM

Never understood his appeal. Like everybody else, I tuned in a few times early on to see what all the hubbub was about. One of the first shows I listened to... he was mocking Chelsea Clinton. Whenever he mentioned her name, they'd play a quick sound bite of dogs barking and howling. OK, I get it. She's ugly. But she's like 12 years old or something. And he's guffawing in the background. Wow. That's pretty lowbrow. A grown man making fun of a child...

Not exactly the biting, intelligent, insightful commentary that I was expecting.

Then I read an article about him. Flunked out of college, bounced around from job to job as a DJ, had to move back in with his parents, etc. Nowhere in any of this did I see a background that would lead to him being an "expert on everything". But I understood his shtick - be loud and condescending and over-the-top. There's an entertainment value in there somewhere, I guess... just not for me, not my cup of tea.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic