Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Being a wuss
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1,586

Being a wuss

Oct 7, 2015, 10:04 PM

This is in no way an attempt to belittle the situation across our state and in Columbia, but moving the game out of Columbia shows the lack of male genitalia at the University of South Carolina. My son plays for a sports team in Columbia and the parents and kids wanted, no, needed a chance to get out, run around, and generally do something they love without thinking about what has happened. They played downtown, my wife drove on I-20, Assembly, Millwood, etc., with no trouble and the kids, parents had a great time. How inspiring would it be if fans of the Gamecocks drove in to Columbia from all over the state for a game to give them something to cheer about (well, it is LSU), and perhaps even bring donations, water, etc., with them to drop off in Columbia. Could everyone make it? Probably not, but it would be a gesture of defiance to the weather gods. Does Scar have so little respect for their fans that they believe they could not act and drive appropriately with a few less law enforcement around? I have to say, what little respect I had for the chickens just went out the door with this show of a white flag. I really am shocked that they would move the game and miss an opportunity to bring their base together during an hour of need.

I am so glad to be a Clemson Tiger.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Being a wuss

Oct 7, 2015, 10:08 PM

I'm going to go ahead and assume that the situation was a bit worse than we as Clemson fans realize. We are talking locker rooms flooded and other areas that need to accommodate LSU. It's just one week, not the remainder of the season. I'm with Tanner on this one.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Oct 7, 2015, 10:14 PM

Absolutely agree. Life over a game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2015, 10:15 PM

Well...I've been told there is no running water at the stadium. That means no toilets, no showers, no drinks or ice.....that kinda makes it hard on everyone. I had heard from someone that Spurrier fought for the game to stay there, and even asked how many portapotties that they would need. Well, obviously they bring enough to satisfy 80,000 people...lol

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ This

Oct 7, 2015, 10:22 PM

Another huge problem is that law enforcement is kinda stretched at the moment. Plus, as mentioned, the infrastructure just isn't ready for something like that right now. There's still a huge mess to clean up and parts of the city still look like a war zone. Some roads and bridges are out and it would make travel for some a logistical nightmare but also a genuine hazard.

Mangus would be OK though***

Oct 7, 2015, 10:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Being a wuss ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Granted, the only article I've read on this is the ESPN

Oct 7, 2015, 10:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Being a wuss ]

article, but it makes no mention from Tanner or Pastides or Spurrier about the condition of the stadium other than the field is fine and playable. In fact, he specifically stated that their was not enough damage or water to prevent the game from being played at the cockroach. Well, he didn't actually say "cockroach."

If the stadium facilities are in such shape that the game can't be played there, then that is certainly one thing, but the USC officials, even given the opportunity to comment on it, have given no indication, at least in that article, that the stadium cannot accommodate a football game. Our parents in Rosewood have running water in their house, they just have to boil it. Of course, I'd boil any water in that dump of a city.

Again, I may need to read The State rag to find other info, but the national article on ESPN gives no mention of the issues you are talking about.

Re: Granted, the only article I've read on this is the ESPN

Oct 8, 2015, 8:08 AM

You could for once try to think of something other than being cute and a jerk about a rivalry that means nothing when compared to people's lives and property being destroyed.
If for no other reason than the state ,not Columbia, can't afford to remove law enforcement from cities and towns that are devistated and some where the flood waters are still rising to usher people in and out of Columbia where many roads and homes are washed away then that 1 reason is enough.
You obviously do not live in a place where homes and businesses and roads are under water and the National Gaurd is on patrol like a war zone.
I know you would rather try to score a point by slamming a Game #### for anything. Stop,think and grow up a little.

Re: Being a wuss- Do a Mangus

Oct 7, 2015, 10:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Being a wuss ]

and let the world be your porta potty. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is the same reasoning

Oct 7, 2015, 10:21 PM

that led that idiot with the coot sticker on his truck to drive into flood waters. I'm sure he was thinking that a real man keeps driving.

To host the game in Columbia, they would need 3 things they can't guarantee right now: clean drinking water (which if they're honest, they never had - "doo doo ice"), staff to work the game (might be difficult for those people to get into the city), and police to provide traffic support/safety (which would divert their efforts from helping the community).

The bottom line is 12 people died in this state and plenty others have been forced to evacuate their homes. Columbia seems to have been hit pretty hard. They would have been stupid to try to host the game. Admitting as much does not make their administration any less manly; it makes them not total idiots.

I can't believe some of you guys have made me defend Gamecocks today. What is this world coming to?

Oct 7, 2015, 10:35 PM

They absolutely made the right decision to move it. Clemson will not have many of it's usual traffic control people this weekend as they are needed in other parts of the state. I know some people who have been "volunteered" for Clemson traffic duty this weekend who have never done it before. And that is how it should be. The disaster elsewhere in the state takes precedence over any football game.

Sorry, Ranger, but I have to disagree with you on this. I'm

Oct 7, 2015, 10:41 PM

no apologist for South Carolina, but they made the right decision, considering circumstances here.

For very brief examples, my son is head of a key lab at the Dorn VA Hospital, and they are having to truck in water from out-of-state for basic needs and supplying bottled water for personal use. Most services requiring sterile and/or purified water have been suspended. People across the Midlands have been displaced, large areas remain flooded and many roads and bridges are either destroyed or closed. I've seen the damages myself, and they are severe.

Thus, rather than regarding the SCAR officials as wussies, I'd say they acted prudently and in the best interests of fans and the community as a whole. We can be thankful that Clemson hasn't had to make a similiar decision.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Correct, Hartins. Well over 100,000 people in Columbia

Oct 8, 2015, 1:50 AM

are boiling water or buying ice and water. My daughter down there still is without electricity. That plus law enforcement personnel are heavily engaged throughout the Midlands. A real mess.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You watch Too many Movies. Something Good has to come out

Oct 8, 2015, 6:41 AM

of every tragedy. Sometimes bad things happen and they are just BAD! Use some common sense. Los of things need to be done after a DISASTER of Epic Proportions than a feel good football game. Yea lets get 80000 people on the broken down road and bridge system. Lets get them to drive through flooded streets. Lets divert LE from directing traffic and watching out for looting so that can crowd control a meaningless football game. Lets call Victim's of this tragedy--" wusses ":
Some of these comments during this tragedy have sure shown our beautiful town in a bad light

Oct 8, 2015, 7:45 AM

So whose being the wuss here?
It's one thing for for your son's sports team to play a game,
but your son wasn't playing in front of 80,000 fans in a stadium that may still have no running water,or sewer issues,or that maybe First Responders can't get to.
There is also the possiblility of more rain in the forecast this weekend,which could also play in to the hands of more flooding in the Columbia area.
And what do the weather Gods have to do with this?
Last time I checked there was only one weather God.
No this has nothing to do with respect,or lack of or even showing a white flag.
It does have something to do ,however with safety for both the players,coaches,fans,and anyone in attendance.
I just wonder if there was any consideration giving to playing the game at Sanford Stadium,
giving the fact that UGA is on the road this weekend.
That definitly,imo,would have been a decent compromise if it could have been pulled off.

Oct 8, 2015, 8:32 AM

I've heard potable water is the issue, and the officials that declare the water safe won't do that until it is. If it is not potable, then they will not allow the stadium to be open to the public.

That sounds simple enough to me. Why is that hard to understand?

Replies: 15
| visibility 1,586
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic