Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sooooooooo Rad kept Brownell to not let Zion
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Sooooooooo Rad kept Brownell to not let Zion

Jan 21, 2018, 9:08 AM

Get away, and they are playing pretty well this year. Has a squad that can be solid next year also, so does this quiet the hot seat for a while?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes***

Jan 21, 2018, 9:09 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think BB had two ways to get another

Jan 21, 2018, 9:12 AM

Year after this year. Either sign Zion or make the tourney. Ship has sailed on Zion but we are looking good for the tourney at this point.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I seriously doubt that getting Zion had anything to do

Jan 21, 2018, 9:38 AM

with Brownell's extension, except of course, in the colorful imaginations of T-Netters.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

In my colorful mind it had everything do w w everything...

Jan 21, 2018, 11:12 AM

;)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sooooooooo Rad kept Brownell to not let Zion

Jan 21, 2018, 9:41 AM

Brownell was left a mess when he took over a bball program that does NOT have great history and plays in a very tough and deep conference. I've said it before, the best our bball teams have ever been was under Cliff Ellis who would have a really good team every 3-4 years. We have not had sustained success since that time. He finally has found a formula for building this program, start the clock on his coaching tenure now.

Jan 21, 2018, 10:05 AM

Disagree about Eliis. Barnes and Purnell both had greater success than Eliis.

All three coaches (Ellis, Barnes, and Purnell) made the NCAA tournament exactly three times. It took Ellis 10 seasons to do it. Purnell was at Clemson for 7 seasons and Barnes only 4. So objectively, Barnes was by far and away our most successful coach.

Clemson is a tough job but Brownell inherited a program which has been to the tourney 3 straight years and was left with enough talent to make it 4 in a row his first year. Contrast this with what Purnell inherited from Shyatt.

Jan 21, 2018, 10:30 AM

Purcell was certainly a great coach. Just ask DePaul. He lead them to a last place finish every year.

Jan 21, 2018, 10:34 AM

I don’t like how Oliver Purnell exited Clemson and will certainly not defend him on that. However, it doesn’t negate the great job he did at Clemson. He inherited shyatt from Shyatt, and made steady improvement the first few years, eventually building a program which made the tournament 4 straight years.

Jan 21, 2018, 9:52 PM

Purnell left the cupboard bare.... he had nothing in the pipeline.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Jan 21, 2018, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Re: Sooooooooo Rad kept Brownell to not let Zion ]

It's amazing how you people pretend Purnell never won at Clemson. It must be prejudice

I'll tell you why I was never a big Purnell fan, & prejudice

Jan 21, 2018, 8:56 PM

had nothing to do with it. I was never a fan of the helter skelter pressing attack. It worked great against outmanned teams, and could occasionally catch a good team off guard, but you won't consistently beat the top ACC teams with it. Especially when we were consistently the worst free throe shooting team in the conference, also.

I remember seeing a stat that said, 40& of the time that a team broke Purnell's press, they scored on a layup! Not good!

That is born out by the fact that although he got to the tourney several timws, he never won a game. I don't think Purnell ever won a NCAA tourney game anywhere he was the head coach!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'll tell you why I was never a big Purnell fan, & prejudice

Jan 21, 2018, 8:59 PM

Yet he was consistently beating ACC teams with it and making the tourney by the time he got his program in place.

Clemson was 28-19 in conference his last 3 years and played for an ACC tournament title.

Jan 25, 2018, 3:33 PM

Those pressing teams of Purcell's played great early on but faded in the last weeks of the season cause their legs were gone. Not deep enough to rest the starters so their legs were gone by late season when it really counted

Jan 26, 2018, 11:28 AM [ in reply to Re: I'll tell you why I was never a big Purnell fan, & prejudice ]

Consistently beating ACC teams during the down years of the ACC.

What was his ACC Tourney and NCAA Tourney records?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 24, 2018, 10:32 PM [ in reply to I'll tell you why I was never a big Purnell fan, & prejudice ]

Yep, racism. Or, you're just too dumb to understand what a W is.

Jan 26, 2018, 11:29 AM

Stating someone is racist with no evidence and then calling them too dumb to understand something.

That's gold.

Jan 21, 2018, 4:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Sooooooooo Rad kept Brownell to not let Zion ]

There was a reason he left in the middle of the night. He didn't have anything coming back and knew it.

Jan 21, 2018, 10:41 PM

If that is true, maybe he should have stayed one more year and then left. Because Brownell went to the tourney his first year with Purnell’s players.

Jan 25, 2018, 4:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Sooooooooo Rad kept Brownell to not let Zion ]

He didn't exactly take over a program in good shape. Depaul was 1-35 in conference the 2 years prior to Purnell. His 5th and final year he had 6 conference wins (which wasn't last place btw). It was bad, but still an improvement from what he inherited.

Ellis made the tournament in his third season,

Jan 21, 2018, 10:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Sooooooooo Rad kept Brownell to not let Zion ]

87, we were top 10 for a while and had a pretty good seed. His 6th year, 90, we made the sweet 16.

The only year Brownell made the tourney was with Purnell's players

Jan 21, 2018, 4:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Sooooooooo Rad kept Brownell to not let Zion ]

I strongly disagree he was left a mess. I also believe OP could've and would've brought in Williamson

Yea, just like he brought in all the other 5 stars.***

Jan 21, 2018, 10:44 PM

Re: Yea, just like he brought in all the other 5 stars.***

Jan 21, 2018, 10:53 PM

You mean like Milton Jennings?

Re: Yea, just like he brought in all the other 5 stars.***

Jan 26, 2018, 10:13 AM

Oh please. Who else recruited Jennings. The worst 5 star EVER

Re: The only year Brownell made the tourney was with Purnell's players

Jan 26, 2018, 7:55 AM [ in reply to The only year Brownell made the tourney was with Purnell's players ]

> I strongly disagree he was left a mess. I also
> believe OP could've and would've brought in Williamson

Taht would not have happened. He had been a Duke fan all his life, so you cannot say that as a fact. Purnell was having a very hard time getting BB recruits to Clemson due to the crazy brand of BB he ran.

Re: The only year Brownell made the tourney was with Purnell's players

Jan 26, 2018, 11:31 AM [ in reply to The only year Brownell made the tourney was with Purnell's players ]

He had Purnell's players for his first few seasons, it's not like he only inherited the seniors from Purnell.

Included in that class was Stitt, one of the best PG's we have had at Clemson in a while and was a big reason for our success over that time frame.

Brownell with us through 2021 and he's doing

Jan 21, 2018, 9:44 AM

Well right now. But Brownell is NOT going to bend rules or cheat. Plus he has a knack for recruiting transfers and he's a pretty good developer of young talent. At least now our players make free throws!!

Re: Brownell with us through 2021 and he's doing

Jan 21, 2018, 10:01 AM

Let’s do all we can to help ruin the Tigers chance of having a good basketball program by slamming the coach and athletic director every chance we get! No great basketball player will commit to become a part of a program that is in constant disarray By the fans who ‘support’ the team. If you don’t have positive comments about Clemson, keep them to yourself!!! You are helping no one with your constant bitching

Re: Brownell with us through 2021 and he's doing

Jan 22, 2018, 12:39 AM

Amen ForestTiger.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This mess is the Tommy Bowden extension all over again

Jan 21, 2018, 10:34 AM

And we will be stuck with a mediocre HC for another 3 years....

Re: This mess is the Tommy Bowden extension all over again

Jan 21, 2018, 10:43 AM

Amen!! No more brownell

Re: This mess is the Tommy Bowden extension all over again

Jan 21, 2018, 11:47 AM

Some posters show their downright ignorance from having no clue how Brownell worked with donors, still managed to recruit and finally build a sustainable program. Cut out the crappy comments and get behind a program which is going to need positive encouragement due to the likely loss of a key player. LJC and a family environment will continue to attract solid talent to Clemson.

Brownell needs to make the tournament several years in a row to build recruiting and he knows it without “fan” comments. Nobody is perfect, but whether you like it or not he is our coach for several more seasons.

Go Tigers!

So you would rather have a coach with <4 years on his contract?

Jan 21, 2018, 11:11 AM [ in reply to This mess is the Tommy Bowden extension all over again ]

Do you have the competence to understand how that would hinder recruiting?

Not to mention we’re actually ranked this year, have a good group of younger players along with some veteran talent, and are doing fine on the recruiting trail again.

Ignorance must be extreme bliss.

^ cried when Tommy Bowden was fired***

Jan 21, 2018, 11:17 AM

^ cried when Tommy Bowden was fired***

Jan 21, 2018, 11:26 AM [ in reply to So you would rather have a coach with <4 years on his contract? ]

Actually did not, was sitting in Calhoun Courts and

Jan 21, 2018, 11:31 AM

was excited for the change.

I’m glad you could come up with such a thoughtful rebuttal to my points though, really shows your wealth of knowledge regarding college athletics.

I’m loving this 16-3 mess. Hoping it continues for the

Jan 21, 2018, 10:46 PM [ in reply to This mess is the Tommy Bowden extension all over again ]

next few years. Stick to tennis.

Jan 21, 2018, 5:07 PM

If the stands were somewhere close to full during the home games, someone like Zion might want to play at Clemson. The Duke and UNC's of the world attract the big recruits not only because of tradition but also because they are embraced and supported to the max. It is sad when tickets are offered for many games for next to nothing in the upper sections in an attempt to attract some more fans. Big time players want a big time stage on which to play...not one that has more empty seats than those occupied. Sometimes it is the environment that shapes the results now and for the future. Brownell is a good man who is good for the university and the effort given the support. He recruits not only those of talent but also good citizens to wear the orange. Look at the tweets from the players about Grantham's unfortunate season ending accident. They are at least impressive.

I hope so. I'm all in with Coach Brownell.

Jan 21, 2018, 10:45 PM

GO TIGERS!

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic