Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Solution to Pay for Play...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,768

Solution to Pay for Play...

Sep 19, 2019, 11:36 AM

...If you decide to take money for likeness and endorsements you do not get a scholarship for the free education. Thus, you pay your own way for school but still have the option of making money, possibly lots of money beyond paying your way. So you become a player that can earn money but has no scholarship and the scholarship he/she would have received goes to another kid who may not get endorsement deals.

Just a thought....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Men at 25 play football. Men at 40 play tennis. Men at 60 play golf. Have you noticed as men get older their balls get smaller.

Hmm...I will be interested to see the responses here

Sep 19, 2019, 11:39 AM

I see several potential flaws with that plan

(Edit) Ok, TigersO already answered one of my questions, so I will put my others out there:
1) If paid players count against the 85, how do redshirts and draft eligibility work? I know that anyone good enough to get paid would not likely be a redshirt, but do they have to play 3 years to be draft eligible?
2) If you have players who are not on scholarship, doesn't that hinder the ability to enforce team and/or NCAA rules?
3) Would this create a wide separation between the haves and have nots? If I were a player good enough to have endorsements entering college, I would want the biggest stage.
4) How would the transfer portal be affected?

Message was edited by: dsgriff®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hmm...I will be interested to see the responses here

Sep 19, 2019, 12:58 PM

I don't have all of those answers but I will give it a shot.

1) Everyone on scholarship follows the rules after they choose. If they get redshirted and chose the free market option then they still have to generate income to pay for everything. Draft eligibility is set by the NFL and not NCAA. It would be up to them to change it if they choose to, but my guess is they would leave it at 3 years out of high school.

2) Obviously NCAA would have to alter rules under my proposal. Rules would have to change to read "any player eligible to receive financial assistance" rather than just outlining scholarship athletes. Walk-ons currently pay tuition and housing but fall under team rules for being permitted: food, training, and medical assistance. Those things could remain the same. Walk-ons could not make money off of their likeness unless they were added to the 85 limit first.

3) I feel that it would increase the distance between have and have-nots, but I believe the biggest difference is that size and financial status of a fan base would have more effect than just the financial status of an athletic department. The more fans care, the more they will pay for their star players to be comfortable financially.

4) I can't imagine it will be affected greatly in terms of rules but fans who invest in a player to see him leave will likely have much stronger reactions. I can only imagine how strong the reaction would be for players like Feaster who would have likely been compensated very well early in his career and then chose to leave and keep the fans' money. Most likely the biggest impact is that it is likely that players, who even though they are getting significant playing time, would try to transfer to a program where they feel they could get more money.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Solution to Pay for Play...

Sep 19, 2019, 11:44 AM

I laid out a similar plan recently with the exception that each athlete that signs up for either a scholarship or the free market plan counts toward the 85.

Walk-ons continue with the same rules they currently have. If they are put on scholarship then they have to pick.

I extended mine beyond just tuition though to include having to pay for meals, training, medical care, and all of the other amenities that they currently receive for free based on being a part of the football program.

If they are going to request being paid as an employee then they should be required to pay for all of the things required in the daily life of someone with a job.

In light of our national dialogue on

Sep 19, 2019, 11:54 AM

college being way too expensive, I would say that the current structure with stipends works well. It is big stretch to reconcile the debate that the expense of college is ridiculous, side by side with the premise that the players are getting nothing in return for working to play the game that they love.

Sep 19, 2019, 11:59 AM

Wouldn't the players get paid by whoever is using their likeness, not their team?

So what happens if the player has a contract with Adidas and the team with Nike? Does the team get less money? Are we going to have a bunch of players running around with different color shoes?

Sep 19, 2019, 12:02 PM

And watches!!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2019, 12:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Solution to Pay for Play... ]

Horse55 said:

Wouldn't the players get paid by whoever is using their likeness, not their team?

So what happens if the player has a contract with Adidas and the team with Nike? Does the team get less money? Are we going to have a bunch of players running around with different color shoes?

good point.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Men at 25 play football. Men at 40 play tennis. Men at 60 play golf. Have you noticed as men get older their balls get smaller.

Sep 19, 2019, 12:27 PM

Great points all.

Did not read everyone's long post...

Sep 19, 2019, 1:09 PM

Under that scenario what is stopping an "Endorser" (aka booster) from going after the Rivals top 25 every year?

The deepest pockets win.

Sep 19, 2019, 1:09 PM

Please submit these plans to NCAA, The State of California, The State of South Carolina, and Clemson University and get back to the more urgent problems at hand like who will replace Hunter Renfrow and how to correct Trevor Lawrence's passing deficiencies. I have my own ideas on these and many other issues but would like to hear what everyone else says so I'll be able to know what I really need to believe.

Sep 19, 2019, 1:45 PM

What people fail to realize is that the whole pay for likeness, outside of a video game only effects a few select players… There are a few players that could benefit from jersey sales, and fewer that could actually be big enough to endorse a specific product or brand i.e TLaw or Tua.

Sep 19, 2019, 1:47 PM

wattythe3 said:

What people fail to realize is that the whole pay for likeness, outside of a video game only effects a few select players… There are a few players that could benefit from jersey sales, and fewer that could actually be big enough to endorse a specific product or brand i.e TLaw or Tua.

I think everyone realizes that only a few players would get endorsements.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,768
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic