Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Social media has ruined the world
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 55
| visibility 1

Social media has ruined the world

Apr 1, 2020, 8:26 AM

It is squarely to blame for this "pandemic".

Look I realize this is serious. People are dying. But people die everyday. You have a better chance of being killed on the way to the doctor to be tested for this virus than actually testing positive for it.

Areas of the country that have only a couple dozen cases should not be stuck at home. But, because you have all these PC morons all over the web coming down on people for not staying at home and screaming that the government should shut everything down this is happening.

If you want make america great again shut down facebook and twitter.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Social media has ruined the world

Apr 1, 2020, 8:35 AM

Last year, car accidents killed 38,800 people. We're estimating between 100,000-200,000 deaths in the US due to COVID-19, in just a few months. The gestation period is between 2-14 days, and you can still spread the disease in that time period while being asymptomatic. You should delete this post.

Apr 1, 2020, 5:41 PM

He can delete the post , but that kind of dumb lasts a lifetime .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Amen, if this virus rids us of social media

Apr 1, 2020, 8:36 AM

epidemic, it will be worth it. H1N1 was worse but no one remembers.

The printing press was a challenging obstacle in history. More people could get info directly and more people could print info. We have the same problem now only on a massively larger scale. Unfortunately, society is way more narcissistic than 1000 years ago. A lot of people today believe the world cannot function without their tweets.

Re: Amen, if this virus rids us of social media

Apr 1, 2020, 8:37 AM

18,000 people died due to H1N1 in 2009. These facts are really easy to find, guys.

Re: Amen, if this virus rids us of social media

Apr 1, 2020, 9:02 AM

Case in point. You think it is a “fact” that this virus is already worse based on projections.

It killed over 700 Americans yesterday and it's still

Apr 1, 2020, 9:14 AM

accelerating. It's not our fault you don't understand math.

Re: It killed over 700 Americans yesterday and it's still

Apr 1, 2020, 9:21 AM

Yea and there are counties in this state and all over the country with ZERO cases.

Why should those people be out of work?

The point was that it's going to be far worse than H1N1

Apr 1, 2020, 10:06 AM

We are probably going to pass the 12,500 deaths caused by H1N1 within the next week. This virus has really only been spreading for a month or so now.

How much we should be shutting down and for how long is a debate that we may never have a great answer to, but it's absolutely better to do something than to do nothing. Doing nothing is how you end up with overrun hospitals.

Re: The point was that it's going to be far worse than H1N1

Apr 1, 2020, 10:43 AM

I get that but every area of the country shouldn’t be out of work. The virus has been spreading for almost 5 months.

We didn't have a confirmed case in the US until late Jan

Apr 1, 2020, 11:04 AM

and the first death didn't occur until Feb 29th. Over 80% of coronavirus deaths in the US have occurred in the last week. It takes awhile for 1 to become millions, but it is happening.

Apr 1, 2020, 11:27 AM [ in reply to Re: The point was that it's going to be far worse than H1N1 ]

I get that but every area of the country shouldn’t be out of work. The virus has been spreading for almost 5 months.

We're on what's called the "heel" of the growth curve, where the number of cases is about to skyrocket exponentially.

There's a parable about the guy who invented chess. Supposedly his king wanted to reward him for inventing the game, and told him to name his reward. The guy responded that he wanted one grain of rice on the first square, two on the second, four on the third, and so forth. The king agreed...and then discovered that to fulfill that request you literally would have had to have coated the entire Earth with rice up to a depth of seven inches thick.

That's unfortunately the reality of pandemics. Their exponential nature means by the time ordinary people look around their neighborhoods and realize there's a real problem, their goose is already well and truly cooked.

Apr 1, 2020, 11:32 AM

“The number of cases is about to skyrocket exponentially”

We’ve been hearing that for a week. The cases are creeping up in my county by a handful a day. There are parts of S.C. that still haven’t seen any.

But all these people should be sitting at home unable to work because of what’s happening in more populated areas of the country?

Apr 1, 2020, 11:51 AM

I just don't think you get it. quozzel just explained to you what is probably going to happen. One person in a small town and expose and infect the whole town. How many stories have we already heard of a large number of people getting infected at church, choir practice and don't forget New Orleans and Mardi Gras. It seems that the majority of everyone who has replied to your post has replied in a negative way. Would you like to go to work now not knowing the person next to you may be infected and you carry it home to the only child you have left living and they have the potential to die from it?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2020, 12:48 PM

Yea I understand his explanation. He’s just parroting what everybody else is saying. What you don’t seem to be grasping is that there have been viruses in the past that were bad, even worse for younger people and there was no government shutdown and mass hysteria.

And, you live with the threat of taking viruses home to your kids every single day.

What’s funny is you’ve TU’d people in this thread agreeing with me but you’re still arguing.

Apr 1, 2020, 1:14 PM

If you look at my history, I TU a lot of people. Some out of habit, some I TU the poster and a lot of their threads.

Basing on your posts the last week or so, you are not taking this virus serious. You think life should go on as is and seem to careless about the outcome. I know I take a risk with a lot of things each and every day and I do what I can to minimize these risks by taking precautions and I totally understand that each day could be my last.

We, you and I, seem to be the only ones going back and forth with this. With that, have a good and safe day.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2020, 2:22 PM [ in reply to Re: The point was that it's going to be far worse than H1N1 ]

The problem with quackel's explanation is the lack of hard data he bases it on.
Get back to us Monday after Easter Sunday.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2020, 12:01 PM [ in reply to Re: The point was that it's going to be far worse than H1N1 ]

Well, look at how exponents work.

You're not going to see a lot of cases until it starts just running amok.

One case becomes two. Two becomes four, which in turn becomes eight, and then sixteen, and then 32...all pretty reasonable...

...until you get to day 20 or so, and what seemed manageable even a few days before is just ape out of control. (2 to the 20th power is 1,048,576).

Wyoming, for instance, has just nine cases right now.

New York City alone has 75,000+, with 1550 dead. Just five days ago it was just 30,000 and around 280 dead. NYC is supposedly still a couple weeks from "peak", and if that's true we're looking at 550K+ infected, and if New York's hospitals get overwhelmed - which is already starting to happen - we could see the mortality rate start climbing towards that 10% level we saw in Italy - or potentially 55,000 dead in New York City alone.

Hopefully it's less than that, but that possibility kind of chills the blood.

Apr 1, 2020, 2:16 PM

Wyoming has 120+ cases. I live there. In my county (Teton) there are 23 confirmed. At least 3 of those have already made full recovery.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2020, 2:13 PM [ in reply to The point was that it's going to be far worse than H1N1 ]

Many of these deaths could be classified as dying with covid-19 not because of. Until they come out with Seriological testing we won't know how many people got it and recovered either. This was a premeditated release of a bio weapon. It was not released primarily to kill obviously but more so to see how the land of the free and the home of the brave would respond to it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It amazes me people seriously believe that***

Apr 1, 2020, 5:36 PM

It amazes me people seriously believe that***

Apr 1, 2020, 5:36 PM [ in reply to Re: The point was that it's going to be far worse than H1N1 ]

Apr 1, 2020, 7:55 PM [ in reply to Re: The point was that it's going to be far worse than H1N1 ]

I wondered that myself, that maybe the Chinese had cooked the thing up in a lab somewhere and timed its release to coincide with the election year, because the trade war means they'd love to see Trump gone. The fact that they were not exactly forthcoming about the virus until it was crawling all over Wuhan didn't inspire trust either. But the virologists apparently say no.

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-not-human-made-in-lab.html

The number i saw was even less than that

Apr 1, 2020, 9:13 AM [ in reply to Re: Amen, if this virus rids us of social media ]

12,500ish i believe.

I meant worldwide***

Apr 1, 2020, 5:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Amen, if this virus rids us of social media ]

H1N1 was worse? Please explain . . .

Apr 1, 2020, 8:51 AM [ in reply to Amen, if this virus rids us of social media ]

I don’t remember dumping bodies in freezer trucks in NYC during that time. But I’m willing to listen.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I meant worldwide. Too lazy to look up but I believe

Apr 1, 2020, 5:22 PM

that was around 500k dead and 1 billion infected. My point was the numbers will be comparable. We are doing a great job isolating and slowing this thing. However, the panic induced by media and social media is worse. I think most of us have learned to tune it out now. That may be the good in all of this.

Apr 1, 2020, 8:37 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

I already turned the channel.***

Apr 1, 2020, 8:46 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Apr 1, 2020, 3:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Social media has ruined the world ]

Jokey, crazy posts like this is why I don't come to tnet anymore.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not a fan of Twitter and/or Face Book. It is making the

Apr 1, 2020, 8:44 AM

world a "look at me". But not taking this virus serious is beyond belief to me. If we do not take measures to prevent/stop this virus, no telling how many people will die from it. Old, young, healthy or with underlying conditions are dying. We all realize people die everyday, but people dying because people are exposing themselves or spreading the virus is totally unnecessary. I heard this morning where people who "partied" are now getting sick and dying. They know the warnings but their "it will not happen to me" attitude is just stupid. We will get through this but we all need to do our part in getting us there.

Message was edited by: MyfavOrange®

Re: I'm not a fan of Twitter and/or Face Book. It is making the

Apr 1, 2020, 9:10 AM

People have and always will carry that attitude.

80% of swine flu deaths were people under 65. Where was the mass hysteria then?

Apr 1, 2020, 9:49 AM

How many people were infected world wide, deaths, how much did we already know about the Swine Flu or how simple was it (to research) and how contagious was it? The biggest concern here is, we currently know very little about COVID-19 and do not really have a cure. And you go around and acting like it is in nothing. I have an eight year old to worry about in more ways than one. If this virus continues to spread and does not slow down because of individual attitudes, then we will never get our hands around it until 250,000 plus people perish. Whether you want to or not, do what is best and listen to the people who "know" and heed their advice.

Message was edited by: MyfavOrange®

Apr 1, 2020, 9:53 AM

Never said it wasn’t serious or that measures to stop it shouldn’t be taken where it is bad but a mom and pop restraunt in the middle of nowhere S.C. shouldn’t have to shut their doors.

Also, the swine flu was particularly hard on young people. Why were all the schools not shut down then? There was no vaccine. It was a novel virus just like this one.

Apr 1, 2020, 12:08 PM

I will take a stab at it. I looked on Wikipedia. It says 18,000 people died world wide of the 2009 swine flu. It says studies indicated that 700,000,000 were infected world wide over 18 months. Mortality rate is .002%. Covid has infected 886,000 and has killed 44,000 world wide over 4 months. Mortality rate is 5%. I don't know what the projected spread is, but let's say 700,000,000 get this thing, and the mortality rate stays constant, that is 35,000,000 world wide that may die over the next 18 months. That is significant. Yesterday President Trumps team showed graphs based on real time data that showed that the viruses spread has been managed best by Washington State, California, etc. My take on this is that strong social distancing policies are having a more desirable effect. So let’s do that. It is the only defense we have. I am hoping that the mortality rate keeps falling. The more testing that IDs positive results without additional deaths can bring that number down. I am praying for that. I pray that our doctors can whip this thing. But right now, by the numbers, I don't think 2009 flu is comparable to 2020 covid-19. You are not the only one raising this question. This will not be forever. We will hip this thing. But these are the steps that need to be taken to get there!

Apr 1, 2020, 9:19 AM [ in reply to I'm not a fan of Twitter and/or Face Book. It is making the ]

The OP is doing his part by lifting free weights and perpetuating the very thing he is criticizing.

Before the inner-net was the National Inquirer. Before it, people wrote on cave walls... Facebook is garbage for the reasons mentioned, I agree, but to complain about it ON Social Media as a means to downplay this is hypocritical though I wouldn’t expect less from OP’s typical troll routine.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2020, 9:58 AM

The reason why old folks think it was more peaceful during their hay day is because of the lack of news sources. Bad things have happened all throughout history, the difference is everybody wasn’t getting updates on their mobile device the minute something happened.

Apr 1, 2020, 10:10 AM

That’s profound.

Hopefully those updates will save a life or two.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2020, 8:50 AM

Have you noticed how many unhinged, hysterical posts we've been subject just on TNET since this whole thing began?

Social media definitely makes it worse, but human nature hasn't changed. People just panic easily, and social media helps all the hysterical handwringers communicate their worst fears amongst each other.

(I have a friend with 50 guns who went out and bought every roll of toilet paper he could lay his hands on 4 weeks ago. Super nice guy...but he's on my "panicker-list" of people I wouldn't necessarily want to be stuck in a foxhole with).

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

how else you gonna try to ruin those christian businesses

Apr 1, 2020, 9:00 AM

tho?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m gonna go by what the docs say...

Apr 1, 2020, 9:22 AM

And they seem ‘hopeful’ to keep the deaths between 100,000-200,000...

So I’m gonna have to disagree...

Re: I’m gonna go by what the docs say...

Apr 1, 2020, 9:59 AM

It’s hard to imagine how that’s going to happen with nobody out doing anything. My country is getting a case or two a day.

Apr 1, 2020, 9:59 AM

County*

Apr 1, 2020, 10:08 AM

MFO hit the nail on the head.

and tomorrow it could be you.***

Feb 16, 2022, 7:41 AM [ in reply to Re: I’m gonna go by what the docs say... ]

Re: and tomorrow it could be you.***

Apr 1, 2020, 10:46 AM

It very well could be but every time you walk out the door you are risking death.

Re: and tomorrow it could be you.***

Apr 1, 2020, 10:53 AM

No crap Sherlock" but there are things I can do to reduce the risk of COVID-19 ending my life or others. The other things I can control (texting and driving, etc.), I do all I can. What I can't control, I don't worry about and hopefully my heart is right and God will accept me in His Kingdom.

You take care of yourself and help take care of others DannybyGodFord, okay?

T-Net ... is ... social media.

Apr 1, 2020, 10:29 AM

??

Apr 1, 2020, 10:36 AM

This post is really hard to believe. I am waiting for the flat earth comment. Thanks Dannybygodford for letting us know there is a rock bottom to uninformed opinion.

Apr 1, 2020, 10:49 AM

The numbers don’t add up.

There have been close to 5,000 negative tests and about 1,000 positives in S.C. Most of the people getting tested are close contacts of those who have had it.

Yet they are telling us 50% of the population is going to become infected?

Apr 1, 2020, 6:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Social media has ruined the world ]

He's also a Coot , so wnjoy this one before his demise .

DB23

Ok Boomer.***

Apr 1, 2020, 10:58 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

I read some article yesterday about how

Apr 1, 2020, 11:02 AM

The average daily death rate in some areas of the country is likely to actually go down this month, due to people not driving and going out.

I don’t think people realize that On average 7,500 Americans die every single day. 150,000 around the globe. The reason why people don’t know this is because hospitals don’t tweet out death numbers each day in breaking news format along with doctors sharing the details of reach death (which seems to be the case for this virus).

I think it’s a serious situation and we should all do our part to help it out but I agree social media is creating a perception of “carnage in the streets” (as said by Adam Schefter on espn last night)

Apr 1, 2020, 3:36 PM

It is squarely to blame for this "pandemic".

Look I realize this is serious. People are dying. But people die everyday. You have a better chance of being killed on the way to the doctor to be tested for this virus than actually testing positive for it.

Areas of the country that have only a couple dozen cases should not be stuck at home. But, because you have all these PC morons all over the web coming down on people for not staying at home and screaming that the government should shut everything down this is happening.

If you want make america great again shut down facebook and twitter.

Some things are just obvious. Perhaps you would reconsider your conclusions by just looking at the other side.

For example, I'm an expert in making Dental practices efficient and profitable. That's what I do and I'm one of the best there is in my field. Any questions about efficiency, profitability, insurance reimbursement contracts, the communication between the clinical side and the business side, cost of supplies, you have a question, I have the answer. That means there are things that I know, that the average person does not.

It's the same with the Pandemic. The people that are making the calls are experts in their fields. They know things the average person could not know without proper education and training.

People are dying because the virus is spreading. In those states that have few cases, if they take the proper steps they will prevent it's spread into their communities like in New York or Italy.

The Covid-19 virus is 3x more infectious than the common flu and 10x more deadly. That means it is likely to spread 300% faster than the flu and killing 1000% more than the flu.

Waiting for it to take over communities, isn't the time to take preventive measures...it's too late.

They are experts, I am not and I'm happy to follow whatever measures they suggest. The goal for me and my family is to not die.

You should reconsider your position.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed.

Apr 1, 2020, 6:17 PM

It has provided a forum for the ignorant to spread BS to morons at an alarming rate unmatched in human history.

For example...

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/Social-media-has-ruined-the-world-1987556?tstart=0

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agreed.

Apr 1, 2020, 9:46 PM

We gotta say a prayer for DannyByGodFord. He doesn’t seemed well equipped to wrastle with natural selection.

Replies: 55
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic