Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Fox Walking Away from Big XII CCG
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Fox Walking Away from Big XII CCG

Jan 14, 2019, 3:13 PM

According to SBJ, Fox has given up its rights to broadcast the Big XII football championship effective this season. Not sold the rights - just walked away from them. Wow!

Matt's College Sports Media Blog: Big 12 Football Championship Game Rights Leaving FOX Sports
http://mattsarzsports.blogspot.com/2019/01/big-12-football-championship-game-rights.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll admit to bias, being a native Virginian with

Jan 14, 2019, 4:25 PM

family in Virginia and West Virginia, but I still believe it was a travesty that the ACC did not invite West Virginia into membership during the expansion.

It was bad enough that the Governor of Virginia had to get involved to help gain the invitation to VT, but the exclusion of West Virginia (a longtime rival of Pittsburgh) seemed elitist. That they have to travel great distances to play other members of the Big X11 is patently ridiculous. Their problem was they had no one to rise to their support...something I wish Clemson had done.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Basketball crowd calls the shots in our conference, we

Jan 14, 2019, 4:28 PM

were lucky as HeII we got VT

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The problem was WVU's academic ranking was garbage...

Jan 14, 2019, 4:51 PM [ in reply to I'll admit to bias, being a native Virginian with ]

and the league was not willing to take a school that ranked so low academically. At the time, FSU was bringing-up the rear in the league with an academic ranking in the mid 80's. West Virginia ranked well below that (something in the 170th range).

I think the league than realized, in hindsight, that decision was a mistake so they added Louisville which also ranked in the 170th range.

It's an athletic conference, but the ACC is very proud of its academic rankings too. In fact, the ACC is the only FBS conference to place six member schools among the top 35 of the U.S. News & World Report rankings and seven institutions among the top 40.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Do UNC's rankings count in that list?

Jan 14, 2019, 5:05 PM

asking for a friend.
It's important.

TIA in advance.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was before anyone knew...

Jan 14, 2019, 5:12 PM

that UNCheat had spent the last three decades creating no-show no-work classes in systematic, calculated, and deliberate to attempt to keep their football and basketball players academically eligible.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Swofford knew***

Jan 14, 2019, 5:22 PM

But you probably meant somebody not directly connected to

Jan 14, 2019, 5:23 PM

the cheating scandal

So that is why Clemson took theit President***

Jan 14, 2019, 5:23 PM [ in reply to The problem was WVU's academic ranking was garbage... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The problem was WVU's academic ranking was garbage...

Jan 14, 2019, 7:14 PM [ in reply to The problem was WVU's academic ranking was garbage... ]

+1

Sorry but you can't burn couches and be proud of it to join the ACC. Plus, being literate is a plus.

ACC should take the Service Academies (Army/Navy) and be done with it. Honor above all. Plus trying to expand the top (taking Miami) never works, just fill out the bottom like the SEC (coots).

Any Idea Who

Jan 14, 2019, 8:37 PM [ in reply to The problem was WVU's academic ranking was garbage... ]

were the President and Provost (top academic officer) at WVU at the time were?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: The problem was WVU's academic ranking was garbage...

Jan 14, 2019, 11:10 PM [ in reply to The problem was WVU's academic ranking was garbage... ]

Is that right? I believe WVU is where Jim Clements came from.

Perception is funny.. I think more than half of PAC12 teams travel further than WVU does.***

Jan 14, 2019, 5:35 PM [ in reply to I'll admit to bias, being a native Virginian with ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Perception is funny.. I think more than half of PAC12 teams travel further than WVU does.***

Jan 14, 2019, 7:05 PM

That may be true, but no school in the PAC-12 is isolated from other conference members like WVU is.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree

Jan 15, 2019, 7:17 AM [ in reply to I'll admit to bias, being a native Virginian with ]

WVU should be in the ACC. They bring more to the conference than some of the other recently added schools.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

West Virginia is one of the worst public universities

Jan 15, 2019, 7:19 AM [ in reply to I'll admit to bias, being a native Virginian with ]

in the country. Even their law school makes USC's look Ivy league. Now, if you ask how on Earth Louisville made it in, I would have no good answer.

I’m with you. I would happily swap Lville for WVU and call it a day.

Jan 15, 2019, 7:31 AM [ in reply to I'll admit to bias, being a native Virginian with ]

And I don’t dislike LVille, but we didn’t look at WVU because of “academics”, which...fine...but then in a rush because of Maryland, we got LVille. A far less prestigious academic institution.

I’ll take the WVU geography and rivalries over LVille’s basketball.

null

Re: Fox Walking Away from Big XII CCG

Jan 14, 2019, 4:37 PM

My understanding was with WV academics in the shape its in there was not even a consideration

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2019, 6:28 PM

Why was Louisville invited?

Jan 14, 2019, 7:17 PM

Post Maryland grab.

It was between the Mountain humpers and the L. The L looked like they were on the way up and were not an internet meme for "alumni"

Even they know it

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic