Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So hard to take hearing that our DBs were a problem
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

So hard to take hearing that our DBs were a problem

Jan 15, 2020, 2:31 PM

Have read/heard more than a few comments that “... AJ Terrell was ‘owned’... he played poorly... DK as a DB is/was a mistake...”. I haven’t rewatched the game - yet - but I can think of three of the TD passes in which two of them AJ and DK were on the receiver and pretty much in the WRs back pocket. Not many QBs will throw that ball, much less the WR be able to haul in the ball. On a third pass, the WR got a yard or so separation with a pretty darn good move. Those LSU WRs were/ARE the real deal.

Like Dabo and a few others have said “ Champions/winners make those plays.” Okay, our guys didn’t - this time - but they gave it their all. Everything looks so much easier from the stands or the couch!

I for one, am glad DK is coming back. And if AJ could come back, we would be a better team with him, for sure.

Sorry for annoying you with my $.02.... just tired of hearing criticism(s) of ANY of our guys who fought the good fight Monday night.

GO TIGERS!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Re: So hard to take hearing that our DBs were a problem

Jan 15, 2020, 2:37 PM

DK was abused at many times throughout the year but his athleticism and ability will prevail and he will be fine. DK was picked on against OSU and badly against LSU. He's a 1st year CB and I love his ceiling yes he had a bad game but as a first year CB i'm ecstatic about his future.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2020, 2:45 PM

Terrell is better than DK and rightfully so. He is good against the weaker teams but was truly exposed against elite teams. He will improve but I think this will continue we need some true corners to step up . Booth has to get healthy. We need 2 young corners to step up.

Jan 15, 2020, 3:49 PM

Not sure what your seeing with DK. Did you miss the OSU game? He played great the whole game

Jan 15, 2020, 4:35 PM

This.

Jan 15, 2020, 2:42 PM

Think there might be some truth to these rumors....Trevor probably had his worst game in a Clemson uniform but our defensive backs sure did not help the situation at all......very similar to Bama’s defensive backs last year against Clemson’s receivers.....our defensive backs could not cover anybody out there on Monday night.....burnt time after time....Go Tigers!!!!

Jan 15, 2020, 2:51 PM

Herbie and others throw out the word "beat" injudiciously when describing DB play, but it's hard to argue sometimes.

When your DB is obstructing the WR's view of the QB, he has not been " beaten ". But when that same WR pulls in the ball that the QB somehow put directly in his hands, regardless of the DB's presence, ok, not only is your guy beaten, he's demoralized, too.

Personally, I thought the only time he looked bad was when he whiffed on the tackle on the RB late in the game.

All the other times he got 'beat', he was within a few inches, a foot, at most a yard of knocking the ball away. Yet the first 21 points of the game were all on him. That's got to be demoralizing. We're not used to such tight windows.

DK is still a work in progress. A very gifted and talented athlete, small by some standards. Putting him on a TE is an obvious mismatch.

What kind of moran said things like that ?

Jan 15, 2020, 2:52 PM

Those are probably trolls or imposters.

Yea our guys got beat a few times. A couple of them were 100% mental. They are still 2 of the best CB in the country IMO. They had a tall task Monday night.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Renfrow owned Minka Fitzpatrick ... it happens to the best.***

Jan 15, 2020, 2:57 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Renfrow owned Minka Fitzpatrick ... it happens to the best.***

Jan 15, 2020, 3:39 PM

Well in Fitzpatrick's defense...Hes a safety covering a slot receiver...Thats naturally a mismatch...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

True ... but an NFL All-Pro nevertheless.

Jan 15, 2020, 9:33 PM

Basically nobody ever stopped Renfrow one-on-one in college.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Half agree / half disagree

Jan 15, 2020, 2:59 PM

I share the sentiment that there ought to be more appreciation and less (frustrated) verbiage throwing them under the bus - win or lose.

That said, on the constructive criticism front, I would say the main issue was not what position they were in but that very often plays were not made on the ball. WR would turn his head and the DB would simply turn his too and go down to the ground with him rather than making any play on the ball at all. Sometimes that's clearly no feasible given positioning, sight (or lack of) of the ball, etc. But often there was good positioning and then nothing done once the ball arrived. That's something they need to be coached up on. Coverage doesn't consist in merely being in position.

The New England Patriots wouldn't have stopped LSU

Jan 15, 2020, 3:33 PM

Monday night. Our DBs are among the best in the country, but their WRs were able to get a half-step and Burrow laid it on the money. When they are that good and they are clicking, it's almost unstoppable.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: The New England Patriots wouldn't have stopped LSU

Jan 15, 2020, 9:41 PM

They were so unstoppable they kept Chad Smith and ETN on the sidelines. Powerful stuff.

I remember the dark years

Jan 15, 2020, 3:52 PM

Exactly. Remember the Ford twins?***

Jan 15, 2020, 3:58 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

It's all fodder man.. don't worry.

Jan 15, 2020, 3:53 PM

LSU won...it doesn't matter why.
Clemson lost..it doesn't matter why.

Grats to their team and fans..the decent fans anyway.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Jan 15, 2020, 3:53 PM

DK has only been playing the position for 1 year. I doubt he's the player today he will be in another year or 2. I've never played it, but DB seems like the hardest position to learn on defense.

Let's give him another season or 2 and see what kind of player he is. He's a great athlete which is a must at that position. So I like his chances

Plus, it's hard to ask a DB to cover for such a long time

on so many plays, as a result of our defensive line being unable to get any pressure on the QB. We had to bring heavy blitzes from linebackers and our secondary to hurry Burrow.

Our DBs were not only up against great receivers and a great QB, but they also had little help from our defensive line.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Plus, it's hard to ask a DB to cover for such a long time

Jan 15, 2020, 11:33 PM

I agree . .why did the defensive pre snap movement stop? Early on, it was obviously causing problems.

Re: So hard to take hearing that our DBsg were a problem

It's not criticism. It's a statement of fact.
Our DBs couldn't consistently cover Jefferson, Miss, and especially Chase Monday night.

LSU's receivers were simply better than our guys.

It's a tough world. Everyone should understand that opinions will differ and not get defensive when someone disagrees.

I am going to say this again

Jan 15, 2020, 4:16 PM

Coming into the game, LSU got 2/3rds of their passing yardage between the hashes, so BV brought in more safeties and left DK and AJT on islands deep. I imagine his thinking was that the pass rush would put some pressure on the long passes and that the corners would cover well enough given that pressure.

If you watch the film, the corners covered fairly well but they had no help and Joe was droppin' dimes. Passes were often completed even though the corners were not beaten. Sometimes you have to pick your poison and live with the results.

I think it is unfair to call out a couple of guys from the shortcomings of the entire defense - especially on this board. LSU was as good as they claimed and they played like it on Monday.

They covered well. I just wish they would learn when / how

Jan 15, 2020, 6:50 PM

to turn their head back to look for the ball. Not only will this help in breaking up the pass, but also allows you to make contact as long as you are looking back for the ball.

Jan 15, 2020, 10:13 PM

Except for maybe one or two plays, the DB’s were in a good position, but they did fail to make a play on the ball. Their challenge was Joe Burroughs Had enough time for those guys to get deep (that’s a defense of line issue), and Joe Burrow is the best quarterback in college football history and he was dropping dimes in a place where nobody else in college football could place them. And the receivers, to their credit, caught them.
Having said that, the DB’s did not lose the game. The poor performers of the offense lost the game. The offense did not execute, and the Offensive coaches, i.e. Tony Elliot, did not call a good game. I think we would all agree that when you’re running back is getting 5 yards a touch, you’re going to keep running the ball until you can’t any longer. TL’s poor performance and bad playcalling is what lost the game.

Jan 15, 2020, 10:39 PM

The story of the game is their WRs beat our DBs (especially AJ) and their DBs shut down our WRs for the most part. If you equalize those two things, we have a really good chance to win.

Whoever was guarded by Stingley was on complete lockdown. He is amazing.

AJ really got exposed. It was brutal. On the other hand, I love DK's upside. His ceiling is clearly higher than AJ's. I can see him being special in 2020.

A defensive adjustment to the slants which were killing us

Jan 15, 2020, 11:11 PM

never came. Slants and crossing routes. And go routes. Repeatedly. And we couldn't stop any of it. Losing our entire defensive front 7 finally caught up to us against a truly elite team.

Jan 16, 2020, 1:49 AM

Man , I agree with you so much .

There is no defense for a perfectly thrown pass. We had great coverage on their receivers .

No one got owned .

Jan 16, 2020, 1:51 AM

Man , I agree with you so much .

There is no defense for a perfectly thrown pass. We had great coverage on their receivers .

No one got owned .

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic