Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So Tommy Bowden was in the news again this week. (editorial)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 2,683

So Tommy Bowden was in the news again this week. (editorial)

Aug 28, 2016, 12:29 PM

On his blog, he commented that Clemson and Florida State have recently proven to be as good as any team in America. However, inroads could still be made regarding more ACC wins against non-conference power five opponents. While it seemed he was talking about the remaining teams in the ACC not named Clemson or Florida State, he went on to choose the following stats. He said “Clemson (2-5) and Georgia Tech (1-6) have combined for 3 wins in 7 years versus their natural Power 5 rivals South Carolina and Georgia. Florida State is 5-2 versus their rival Florida in the last 7 years.” This quote sparked some lively board debate this week. Why did he choose to span Dabo’s full seven season coaching tenure? Why did he single out Clemson’s natural power 5 rival?

If you include Notre Dame, the Tigers are 11-10 against the power five non-conference foes they faced over the past seven year span. While not a dominant record, more recent trending shows sustained improvement over the last four years (9-4). It appears he chose the stat that placed him in the best light. In Tommy’s nine full seasons as Clemson’s head coach, the Tigers went 7-2(63-17 and 1st and 35 say hi) against the fighting Gamecocks from Columbia, South Carolina. To highlight otherwise, leads to a lack of on-field coaching success.

Bowden went 9-9 in nine full seasons against power five non-conference foes. He led the Tigers to zero New Year’s Day bowls, zero ACC Championships and allowed Wake Forest to attend an ACC Championship game before Clemson. If you analyze the non-conference competition in that 9-9 record, the historical quality of those programs pale in comparison to the opponents faced under Dabo’s tenure. Additionally, there is no question that South Carolina fielded a superior quality football team compared to that which Tommy faced.

There is no doubt that Tommy Bowden is a fine Christian man and performed many positive community services during his time at Clemson. He paved the way for the West End Zone project and championed facility upgrades that Danny Ford, Ken Hatfield, and Tommy West could not. He brought Clemson football out of is lowest performance doldrums since the early 1970’s and hired assistant coaches that led to better recruiting and performance successes which Clemson stills benefits from today.

It’s unclear why Tommy chose to highlight the stats he did. However, it is fair to say on-field performance is the ultimate measure. It’s unfair to hypothesize about the past and you can’t change historical outcomes. But it is safe to say, if you could give Dabo a 5-2 record against South Carolina we would be debating the finer points of where to place his bronze statue.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

jealous fool***

Aug 28, 2016, 12:35 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's a reason why he hasn't been hired...

Aug 28, 2016, 12:36 PM

to another coaching job. His failure as a coach at Clemson (and Dabo's subsequent success) exposed Tommy, and he's a little bitter I think. His only claim to success at Clemson was success over terrible coot teams. The coot teams that beat Dabo would have killed teams under his leadership... and he knows it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So Tommy Bowden was in the news again this week. (editorial)

Aug 28, 2016, 12:36 PM

Agree... excellent analysis. Fair and balanced.

Re: Tommy Bowden- gave us Dabo- good

Aug 28, 2016, 12:57 PM

folded like a cheap deck chair- not good inititially but good overall. and never would give us an OL- bad and why he isnt and wont be coaching again. the guy never got it

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

pride goeth before the fall....

Aug 28, 2016, 1:48 PM

and as much as I appreciate what he did for Clemson as a school and a program,

TB simply needs to let some things go.

he had his chances, he was unlucky in a lot of ways,

but still, better men for "coaching" have arisen.

it's ### tuff living up to Dad,

particularly for the sons of Dads with Bobby Bowden's record.

no one doubts Dabo >> Tommy, not even Tommy.***

Aug 28, 2016, 3:15 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: So Tommy Bowden was in the news again this week. (editorial)

Aug 28, 2016, 11:18 PM

Pretty nicely written, but when are y'all going to get of TBs throat?

My guess is that you who still berate the man had expectations he was going to be a better coach than his father and Bear Bryant combined.

We were becoming what USC is, and has long been. TB got us to mediocrity which was not an easy task. Not only, he didn't just hire Dabo, he nominated him as HC. that showed a pretty high degree of allegiance given what Dano has proven to be capable of.

The down years were Hatfield and West. Bowden provided the first rise our program enjoyed after far too long a period of going from great to terrible.

Now, with the success Dabo has provided, I'm not missing TB too much, but I don't hate him for leaving the program better off than he found it. Not only, if some of armchair coaches and sports journalists would get off his neck, he might not feel the need to cast himself in such a favorable light.

He should have trusted Dabo over Spence

Aug 29, 2016, 12:31 AM

Dabo's team spanked Spence's team in the Orange and White. Dabo's direction (Offensive vision) with the spread and Clemson's type of athletes is what got Rich Rod and Tommy moving immediately, yet he stuck with Spence's theme, which we did not have the personal for.

Wasn't sold on the bend but don't break of Koenning on D. Dabo made him attack the ball first/foremost and the D not only improved but we also began to bring in actual LBs again.

Tommy was too loyal to his two worst hires, end if story.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He Hired Dabo - So he's good in my Book!

Aug 28, 2016, 11:42 PM

He knows the X's & O"s and it shows regular on his ACC show! Hopefully in 2019 if ESPN actually does Hook us Up with a new Channel - he will be the SEC equivalent of Paul Finebaum of the ACC Tommy Bowden Show! Lord forgive me, for I know not what I say! I think Tommy could take him in a UFC match but that's another Story! You know both those guys and most of the Reporters in that Category all need to make headlines to be relevant so it took me a while to "get it" - but I got it!! Hey we got Dabo when I didn't even know what a Dabo WAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The obligatory praise of TBowden's contributions aside

Aug 29, 2016, 12:13 AM

Tommy ain't exactly a CU fan.

Cricket Chirp Temperature Formula:
Number of Chirps per 14 seconds + 40 = Approximate Temperature

Replies: 10
| visibility 2,683
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic