Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So Let Me Get This Right On The Value Greek System Brings
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 74
| visibility 1

So Let Me Get This Right On The Value Greek System Brings

Dec 8, 2014, 9:51 AM

to Clemson:

1) Murder or At Least Negligent Homicide of Students

2) Blatant And Public Advertisement of Racism in a Time Where The Nation is Ready to Ignite of These Issues.

What's Next a Secret Pedophile Ring? These Clueless Institutions And Students Need to Be Held Accountable. They Are Ruining The Hard-Earned Equity of This Great University.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've never seen any value in these party clubs.***

Dec 8, 2014, 9:54 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Much more fun to get drunk in groups, apparently.***

Dec 8, 2014, 9:57 AM

Nothing Against Gettin Drunk.....Contrived Themed & Hateful

Dec 8, 2014, 9:59 AM

Parties That You Pay For Just Seem Lame.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There are white and Mexican gangs too

Dec 8, 2014, 10:12 AM

The fact that the black population is upset reinforces the stereotype.

Re: There are white and Mexican gangs too

Dec 8, 2014, 10:19 AM

No, the fact that there are pictures circulating showing Clemson students involved in a Clemson sanctioned Greek organization mimicking negative stereotypes associated with Blacks in particular is where Itake offense. And I'm not Black.

These frats are an embarrassment (at their best) to our University. There's no other way to see it.

Dec 8, 2014, 10:32 AM [ in reply to There are white and Mexican gangs too ]

Naw, images such as THIS is why blacks such as myself are upset, esp being a Clemson alum and to have this associated with my alma mater...

Dec 8, 2014, 10:46 AM

How old is that picture?? I mean look at the Bud Light can!

7 years old***

Dec 8, 2014, 10:49 AM

Dec 8, 2014, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Re: There are white and Mexican gangs too ]

The age of the picture is irrelevant! When people do a google/other search of "clemsoncripmas," this image comes up! If there is no "clemsoncripmas" party held to begin with, then garbage like this pic wouldn't be affiliated with Clemson.

While I agree with you, I have to ask what

Dec 8, 2014, 1:25 PM

search engine(s) you are using. I have tried to find that pic and can't. Because of this you lose credibility and make me think you've saved that pic and are purposefully trying to get it out there to make Clemson look bad., IMO. There's plenty of brand new pics that you could use...do they not look racist enough?

Re: While I agree with you, I have to ask what

Dec 8, 2014, 1:56 PM

Saw it via Google and as mentioned before, others were already tweeting this in conjunction with their clemsoncripmas comments, something that was evidently not known by some here on TNet. As for the statement of me doing purposeful acts trying to make Clemson look bad -- that is completely absurd, it would be cutting off my nose to spite my face since I'm heavily committed to/invested in Clemson personally and professionally and have been for decades. No, what makes Clemson look bad are the foolish acts @ a party and comments on Yik Yak of a select few, along with naive comments stating this is all no big deal, despite the fact that students of all ethnicities (including whites) on our campus feel it is.

You didn't find it through google...try it.***

Dec 8, 2014, 2:30 PM

Re: You didn't find it through google...try it.***

Dec 8, 2014, 3:08 PM

Um yes, I did find it through there early this a.m.....may not be through there now which is great, if so - hope garbage like this pic is no longer associated with Clemson.

Maybe you should also get angry with your brothers that are

Dec 12, 2014, 10:09 AM [ in reply to Re: There are white and Mexican gangs too ]

perpetuating and creating the stereotype. It's not white people that are out there creating the gangstah lifestyle. Why is it that all of the problems in the black community are always somebody else's fault? 80% illegitimacy? Generations of people not working and using welfare as an expected source of income? Skyrocketing felony convictions? Murders, Rapes, Gang Membership ... and your worried about a #### party that makes fun of it? It's time for black America to look inward and solve THEIR problem. The truth hurts sometimes; get over it and grow up; or go smash windows and burn your businesses ...

That Chick in Orange is Going to be Underwhelmed

Dec 8, 2014, 12:01 PM [ in reply to Re: There are white and Mexican gangs too ]

When That SAE Drops His Drawers And She Gets The 5.5" Fratty Special Instead of The 9" Dong of Doom.

Re: That Chick in Orange is Going to be Underwhelmed

Dec 8, 2014, 2:46 PM

Is 5.5" really that underwhelming?

Asking for a friend....TIA.

Dec 8, 2014, 10:36 AM [ in reply to There are white and Mexican gangs too ]

Yes, but do people dress up like the Aryan Brotherhood or the Eses at these kind of parties? Do they dress up like Al Capone? No, they don't.

Having a "gangster" party invariably leads to people dressing up like inner city African Americans.

Modern day "blackface" is what it is.

Dec 8, 2014, 11:06 PM

What would happen if a frat did dress up like the Aryan brotherhood?

Dec 8, 2014, 11:20 PM

^^^^Exactly. Denying the racist subcontent of a "cripmas" party either denotes ignorance or stupidity. Why would people dress up like or wear clothings with images of tupac when the notified and controversial black poet wasnt ever in a gang?

Dec 8, 2014, 11:34 PM
image.jpg(68.5 K)

Dec 8, 2014, 11:52 PM

You do know the american mafia was strictly Italian. Im sure quite a few people would be upset if the party was full of general italian negative stereotypes not related to the mafia.

Dec 9, 2014, 1:06 AM

So you couldn't do a Chinese theme either huh

Dec 9, 2014, 1:08 AM [ in reply to Re: There are white and Mexican gangs too ]

They dressed like gang members. I mean did yall not see nick cannons white face.

Dec 9, 2014, 12:27 AM [ in reply to Re: There are white and Mexican gangs too ]

The fact that you call tupac a "poet" might be the most ignorant statement I have ever heard.

Dec 9, 2014, 12:37 AM

I wont entertain that argument beyond suggesting you google tupac and poetry. You may not like rap and disagree that its not poetry. But he had plenty of stand alone poems such as "a rose tha grew from concrete". No apologies necessary. Ignorance is simply not knowing. Now stupidity, thats something else. Now is your chance to pick one.

Dec 9, 2014, 12:46 AM

Yea Tupac "Hit'em up" is such good poetry. You can't put lipstick on a pig and call it a supermodel. You can call him an artist any day of the week. He is actually a very good "rap" artist, but to call him a poet is a travesty.

Dec 9, 2014, 12:52 AM [ in reply to Re: There are white and Mexican gangs too ]

If you want to read a real poet look up Langston Hughes. Ignorance is simply not knowing. Now stupidity, that's something else. Now is your chance to pick one.

That's because the gangsters are inner city african American

Dec 12, 2014, 10:11 AM [ in reply to Re: There are white and Mexican gangs too ]

Reality Check!

you paint a broad st roke sir

Dec 8, 2014, 9:59 AM

I don't have a lot of empathy for the Greek system but to call them all rassist murders is a bit extreme.

You described an average Friday night at 5 points.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

It's TigerNet......Have to AMP UP The Commentary***

Dec 8, 2014, 10:00 AM

at least they're alum and real fans like Cole Stoudt

Dec 8, 2014, 10:08 AM

I do it right?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I Have Ceased My Open Warfare Against Stoudt

Dec 8, 2014, 10:11 AM

However if The Lions Ever Wanted Another Scott Mitchell, Stoudt Would Be a Great Clone

Unfortunately, Cole Stoudt makes Scott Mitchell look like`

Dec 8, 2014, 10:14 AM

Montana..

the lions would gladly draft Stoudt if they could

Dec 8, 2014, 10:26 AM [ in reply to I Have Ceased My Open Warfare Against Stoudt ]

Throw 90 million at him. If they can't blow big money they will pass.

They Teach Kids Not to Capitalize so Many Words

Dec 8, 2014, 10:51 AM

I Wasn't in a Frat and Neither Were You, so We Missed Out.

I Missed Out On Nothing......Got to Go To All The Sorority

Dec 8, 2014, 11:58 AM

Events I Ever Wanted, Without Dishing Out $80/Month.

Never understood the purpose of frats...

Dec 8, 2014, 10:58 AM

when I was there, we said they were for the guys that couldn't get their own dates. Most frat news is bad news.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They serve no purpose and should be banned***

Dec 8, 2014, 11:25 AM

I remember 1989 at one house on the quad a girl

Dec 8, 2014, 11:29 AM

fell to her death trying to walk the ledge to another window. Hence the reason kegs were banned on campus.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You sure that wasn't Johnstone?

Dec 8, 2014, 1:29 PM

none of the buildings on the quad have ledges you can walk between.

Re: You sure that wasn't Johnstone?

Dec 8, 2014, 1:47 PM

Perhaps that was the problem

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was not Johnstone.

Dec 8, 2014, 2:46 PM [ in reply to You sure that wasn't Johnstone? ]

It was one of the frat dorms. I believe it was the one closest to the soccer field. The "ledges" are beneath the windows, and are about 3" wide.

Oh ok

Dec 8, 2014, 4:10 PM

I know Johnstone had/has those wide ledges that people used to walk/sit on.

The changed the windows so that people couldn't get out on them years ago though.

Wannamaker

Dec 8, 2014, 5:47 PM [ in reply to It was not Johnstone. ]

SAE's in that situation as well if memory serves me.

Nope.

Dec 8, 2014, 10:41 PM

Not Wannamaker. I lived in Wannamaker. It was in the ATO house right next door. Girl was trying to crawl to her boyfriends room from an adjacent room on a 2" ledge on a drizzly night in the freezing cold.

ATO's - they got kicked out for a few years

Dec 9, 2014, 9:58 AM [ in reply to Wannamaker ]

Before that tragic death, Quad parties were huge

Re: You sure that wasn't Johnstone?

Dec 8, 2014, 6:30 PM [ in reply to You sure that wasn't Johnstone? ]

He is right, it was in the quad. I was a student at the time .

That had nothing to do with the frat.

Dec 8, 2014, 2:33 PM [ in reply to I remember 1989 at one house on the quad a girl ]

It had to do with being locked out of a room and making a bad decision. They hadn't been partying on campus either...they were downtown. It was used as an excuse to crack down on the frats, though.

I remember news reports saying the girl walked the ledge

Dec 8, 2014, 4:43 PM

on a dare from someone in the room. It was the third floor. Hey, I'm a Kappa Sigma, so I'm not bashing or supporting, just saying what I remember. What you're saying about the student being locked out of the room may have been the actual story when all the facts came to light after initial reports. I just remember Clemson using that incident as the spark to crack down on kegs.

The way I remember it...

Dec 8, 2014, 5:12 PM

I had class with her that day (we had just finished project presentations). A bunch of people were having some drinks at an apartment (at CC2, I think) and going downtown that night. I was supposed to meet up but missed them.

I obviously wasn't there, but what I was told at the time is that she and her boyfriend were locked out of his room and were hanging out in the room next door. Somehow (it could have been a dare I suppose) she tries to walk the ledge to get into the other room. It was rainy and windy that night, IIRC and things didn't go well.

A friend called me early the next morning with the news...

The university used the incident to cut almost all fraternity on-campus events that involved alcohol even though Shannon's fall didn't have anything to do with the frat...just happened to be in their house. That was the last year of the epic quad parties.

That was a long time ago, so my memory may be fuzzy.

It was a long time ago. I was a freshman at

Dec 8, 2014, 5:30 PM

Lander at the time on attempt No. 1 to complete my four-year degree. Lander was a dry campus then, so I remember we were all in awe when learning that Clemson had even allowed kegs on campus. Heck, we got fined $1 per beer can when busted for drinking on campus at Lander.

Here's link to 1989 incident ...

Dec 8, 2014, 4:49 PM [ in reply to That had nothing to do with the frat. ]

Scroll down to December 8 entry

25 years ago today, hard to believe it's been that long.***

Dec 8, 2014, 6:25 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are correct!***

Dec 8, 2014, 3:43 PM [ in reply to I remember 1989 at one house on the quad a girl ]

I hate the fr@t goons***

Dec 8, 2014, 1:56 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So Let Me Get This Right On The Value Greek System Brings

Dec 8, 2014, 2:00 PM

You really are a scumb*g?

Go Back to Coot Island Where You Came From***

Dec 8, 2014, 10:17 PM

Irony alert. All frats are being stereotyped

Dec 8, 2014, 2:01 PM

in an extremely negative way in this thread.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are correct on all counts! Time to close em down***

Dec 8, 2014, 3:45 PM

Dec 8, 2014, 5:23 PM

http://theodysseyonline.com/clemson/save-lachlan-lantern-lighting/67834

Forget that Greeks hold events for charities that none of the "non-greek" students do. Graduation rates are 20% higher nationwide for greeks. something like 80% of fortune 500 execs are greek. You are given the opportunity to be around people who want to be a part of an organization. People who want to be successful and make positive impacts on other peoples lives. Its unfortunate that there isn't a study done about greek members who are also members or leaders of other organizations. But no, all you "greek haters" just want to focus on the negative parts. Guess parties that are thrown by other students aren't as bad. Forget that a Greek organization can raise twenty thousand dollars for a charity, kind of funny how you never see that kind of thing in the news. Yes, I understand that what happened to Tucker Hipps was awful, same with a gang themed christmas party. That doesn't mean you have to bash every greek that has ever lived. Some of Clemson's largest donors are greek, and part of the reason they give so much money aside from being an alum is that they had such a great college experience here being in whatever organization. Never understood the hate the non affiliated have for greeks. Why can't we just come together as one and step back and say what happened was wrong, and what do we need to do to fix it? instead of you guys chirping for every fraternity to get banned. I can guarantee you the organization I was a part of doesn't agree with what has happened this semester, and surely they aren't the only one. Not every group is bad.

Maybe banning all frats IS the solution...***

Dec 8, 2014, 5:34 PM

Maybe you should just stick to making Taylor Swift gifs***

Dec 8, 2014, 6:41 PM [ in reply to Re: So Let Me Get This Right On The Value Greek System Brings ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FAIL........That is All***

Dec 8, 2014, 10:21 PM [ in reply to Re: So Let Me Get This Right On The Value Greek System Brings ]

Shut 'em down***

Dec 8, 2014, 5:47 PM

null

SAE isn't racist

Dec 8, 2014, 8:57 PM

The party obviously l

Re: SAE isn't racist

Dec 8, 2014, 9:03 PM

accidentally submitted last partial comment, not meant for here

Coming on the heels of everything that transpired this fall,

Dec 8, 2014, 6:28 PM

this particular fraternity should be shut down no doubt.

Re: Coming on the heels of everything that transpired this fall,

Dec 8, 2014, 9:07 PM

"This particular fraternity"? To which are you referring? In case you were unaware the two incidents mentioned in the main thread involved two separate fraternities. Sigma Phi Epsilon and Sigma Alpha Epsilon.

The latter, obviously. All of the organizations were under

Dec 8, 2014, 9:22 PM

tremendous scrutiny because of the earlier incidents this year. Absolutely no excuse for bringing negative publicity to our university while just coming out of an informal "probation". It was either blatant defiance or tremendous stupidity. Either way, a stiff penalty is deserved. If it were my call, I would shut them down for at least a couple or years. It has been done to others in the past. We shall see what those with the authority will say.

This is not new news....

Dec 8, 2014, 9:52 PM

Very sketchy things happened in the late 80s as well.

The Greek orgs are not to blame ultimately, but yeah...they are going to be the center of attention anytime stuff like this happens.

Signed - 'Not a Frat Member'

Dec 8, 2014, 9:54 PM

The age old discussion.

Dec 8, 2014, 10:53 PM

Get over it. We had a good time. Still have reunions with my pledge class 25 years later.

Dec 8, 2014, 11:44 PM

Ill never forget... About 3 or 4 years ago a friend of mine told me that his frat (which I'm not going to mention) made the pledges write essay papers on Slave owners and how to justify slavery. Its crazy that how some people are in denial about these kinds of things that go on at our University. My friend whom is white from Cincinnati made this post earlier today......"Clemson remains the only place I have ever heard the n-word used as though we were back in 1850. There are serious racial issues there, and I'm glad to see them finally getting some attention......" Just give em the HAMMER!!!! Band them all :)

Is greekism not as bad a racism?

Dec 9, 2014, 1:31 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 74
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic