Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So I got pretty hammered watching the Clemson OSU game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 526

So I got pretty hammered watching the Clemson OSU game

Jan 4, 2021, 4:51 PM

and why not, amiright?

Anyway, somebody explain that Trevor being on his back on the ground with his hand on the ball and he wasn't down thing.

WTH?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had the sound turned off hoping to instill a comeback but

Jan 4, 2021, 4:55 PM

I assumed he never really "controlled" the ball. Lame I think, but so what, was that last interception really a touchdown? Meh.

The good news is that there is not "a play" or "a call" that we have to live with until next season. We left blood all over that field.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh it had no bearing on the game.

Jan 4, 2021, 4:57 PM

I just didn't understand the call. Seems to me that consistency is not required to be a NCAA football referee.

Two things...

Jan 5, 2021, 7:47 AM

Since the ball was coming out prior to being down, he had to have full control of the ball, and then the whistle had to blow the play dead. Neither of those happened, so by (correctly interpreted) rule it was a live ball. It was a brain fart on Trev's part.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So I got pretty hammered watching the Clemson OSU game

Jan 4, 2021, 4:58 PM

They said he didn't really have possession of it. I guess having your hand on it isn't enough. They said you need to have control of it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure I understand that

Jan 4, 2021, 5:02 PM

as it doesn't seem to work like that when somebody else fumbles. If someone else lands on the ball, it's theirs.

Re: Not sure I understand that

Jan 4, 2021, 5:25 PM

I saw it as he was just downing it in a way. They said he didn't have control. I hated that call, because the game was over the for sure. To me it looked down. He could have snagged the ball back, but he was saying it was down imo. Sadly, the refs saw it different.

I chit you knot

Jan 4, 2021, 5:18 PM

my drunk ### was laying in the middle of this #### field watching the game on my phone. wife called me and axed me where i was, walked around for at least 35 minutes trying to find people.

finally found the wedding, and buddy's wife showed me how to go home. at that point it was 35-14 and i don't remember the second half until it was 49-14 ish.

i have zero interest in drinking alcoholic beverages for a while.

Drunk?

Jan 4, 2021, 5:37 PM

I remember being in jungesnap and hearing my messages play back before sending them and was like "god that dude can barely talk right now".

This was in the first quarter.

The dude talking was me.

I was raging about the same thing. What's the rule on that?

Jan 4, 2021, 7:21 PM

Player is down. Ball is in his control. Play is dead. Why does it matter what happens half a second later?

Another one that has me a bit puzzled, but is probably easier to explain, was Powell's catch in the endzone. Caught the ball in two hands, got both feet down...and THEN you can strip the ball? Did we switch to NFL endzone ball control rules now and I didn't hear about it? At what point are you not allowed to strip a ball in the endzone? I know for a fact that was a TD 10 years ago because I remember Jabar Gaffney doing it for UF against Tennessee (probably more than 10, but still). I guess the rule changed or something.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When did that happen with Powell? I do not recall that

Jan 5, 2021, 7:51 AM

and I was looking for the condensed game to see the last drive(s) as I just gave up on the game. Cannot find it anywhere yet.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1:45 to go in game

Jan 5, 2021, 7:54 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwFAQ3TTh54

Ahhh, I saw that in the replay but didn't realize Amari

Jan 5, 2021, 7:57 AM

had it. I saw the INT and said fuggit and turned it off.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I get the 'finish the catch' thing, but that rule does seem

Jan 5, 2021, 7:52 AM [ in reply to I was raging about the same thing. What's the rule on that? ]

to have a lot of room for interpretation by the officials/review booth...not just in that game, but every game I've ever watched since those rules went into effect. It's weird that a running back can get a micron of the ball across the plane and get it knocked away but it's still a TD, but a receiver has to bring it down, take it to the gift wrapping counter and have some pretty paper and bow applied, then spin around three times while repeating the word 'Touchdown', and then present it to a referee with a slice of cake a tiny bottle Coke before it counts.

Just put a friggin clock on it

Jan 5, 2021, 7:56 AM

Forget all this football move stuff.

If a receiver has position for 2.0 seconds or whatever, make it a catch. Easy to do.

If it's in the end zone, make it 1.5 seconds.....idk, just make possession based on time instead of judgment. Time is a constant at least.

That's actually not a bad idea.

Jan 5, 2021, 8:05 AM

That said, I'm really not a fan of all the technology refereeing the game. I guess I'm old school and was fine with the humans making calls as they saw it, warts and all. I figured at some point, the ball and the field would be enabled with laser measuring devices to determine things like first downs and when the ball actually crossed the plane of the goal line. I guess we're working towards football being a live video game to appeal to the younger generation and their penchant for mind-rotting computer-based gaming.

WHY DON'T YOU KIDS GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY WITH ROCKS AND STICKS LIKE MOTHRA INTENDED AND STAY OFF MY LAWN WHILE YOU'RE DOING IT.

One reason

Jan 4, 2021, 11:26 PM

Refs are told not to blow the whistle, calls play dead, and instead let plays continue too long. They're told to let the play continue, then let the replay booth overturn if needed.

Explains the ball on ground. Explains the long OSU RB run that was eventually called back. The refs were lining up to spot the ball, then chased after OSU running down the field. Guarantee if a Clemson player hits the RB that it's a quick penalty.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm no rules expert and have no earthly idea

Jan 5, 2021, 8:16 AM

why that call was made. I didn't agree with it then and still don't. And I too was slobberknockered during the game.

If anyone is interested in pasting the actual rule, I'd love to read it.

Seems to me like a) he's down, b) he's in control, and c) the play was over.

I mean, a 6'6 guy with his probably enormous hand over the top of the ball pinning it to the floor bringing the ball to a stationary position with no one around seems to be DOWN to me.

We should ask our coaches for their opinion.

Jan 5, 2021, 8:18 AM

OH THAT'S RIGHT DABO DECIDED TO REINSTATE THE MEDIA COMMUNICATION BAN 12 SECONDS AFTER THE GAME WAS OVER SO WE ALL JUST PRETEND THIS CRAPFEST OF A GAME NEVER HAPPENED.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THAT decision I'm OK with.

Jan 5, 2021, 8:28 AM

WE NEED TO FOCUS ON BASKETBALL BECAUSE FOCUS IS EVERYTHING.

I heard, from a couple of sources that

Jan 5, 2021, 9:24 AM [ in reply to We should ask our coaches for their opinion. ]

Dabo was giving blanket pardons in the locker room. I cannot confirm that yet, still waiting on a couple of sources, but that is the word that Blythe, my IPTAY Rep told me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Eh, I'll trust Datbo as a motivator. I'm ok with that.

Jan 5, 2021, 9:28 AM

Beating kids up at that juncture is counterproductive. Build 'em up, keep em (mostly) from transferring, try to get some kids to come back for a final year, etc. On to next year.

Replies: 21
| visibility 526
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic