Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Downward Spiral of Low Expectations
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 64
| visibility 1

The Downward Spiral of Low Expectations

Jan 15, 2020, 10:57 AM

I’m a little surprised at the lack of backlash about LSU’s “Neck” chant. It’s more or less crickets. I had heard OF IT before, but Monday was the first time I had heard it. Uhhhhhh.....WOW!!! As a parent that pays college tuition and next year will be 3 college tuitions.......LSU would never, ever, ever, ever, get one thin dime from me. They’ve set the bad too low. They've set the bar in the hog wallow and their inept/failed leadership is standing around with their hands in their pockets feigning helplessness.
The anything goes attitude at LSU IS AND WILL BE the root of their failure.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Downward Spiral of Low Expectations

Jan 15, 2020, 11:01 AM

They are trash. And proud to be trash. It’s kind of their thing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

In fairness...

Jan 15, 2020, 11:01 AM

the university frowns on the band playing "Neck". In fact, I think they have been specifically instructed not to play it but their lowbrow fans still chant/sing the vulgarities to other tunes instead (similar to Clemson students saying "mf'n N" during the fight song).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: In fairness...

Jan 15, 2020, 11:19 AM

They can do as they please. For tens of thousands of dollars a year, I expect and can easily find a higher standard.

They played the song

Jan 15, 2020, 12:33 PM [ in reply to In fairness... ]

The band members are acting like they didn’t, saying “oh no, we played something else, blah blah blah”. There’s no chant of “suck that Tiger d*** b**** without it. If it was my school I would expect the band leadership to be fired if they can’t keep the band from playing a song they’ve been told not to play. Monday is not the first time the band has gone against the directive. But, since they decide to act like garbage and turn a deaf ear to it, I personally will hold them in that regard, but that’s just me.

"frowning on"

Jan 15, 2020, 12:36 PM

and actively doing something about it are two different things.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They played the song

Jan 15, 2020, 12:33 PM [ in reply to In fairness... ]

The band members are acting like they didn’t, saying “oh no, we played something else, blah blah blah”. There’s no chant of “suck that Tiger d*** b**** without it. If it was my school I would expect the band leadership to be fired if they can’t keep the band from playing a song they’ve been told not to play. Monday is not the first time the band has gone against the directive. But, since they decide to act like garbage and turn a deaf ear to it, I personally will hold them in that regard, but that’s just me.

Clemson students?

Jan 15, 2020, 2:51 PM [ in reply to In fairness... ]

When do the Clemson students yell that that? I haven't heard it. Not saying it's true, I've just missed it. Is it during Tiger Rag or the Orange Bowl march song?

You need to visit the student section at Clemson games...

Jan 16, 2020, 9:41 AM

In spelling our school's name - they throw in a "Mother F..g" between the O and N.

I was at the SC game this year - and a couple of younger (maybe still students) were screaming it as we did the cheer. I was mortified...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You need to visit the student section at Clemson games...

Jan 17, 2020, 6:28 AM

so you're equating " a couple of students" to what happened Monday night? That's ridiculous

Jan 15, 2020, 11:07 AM

New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and LSU are great examples of hedonism. They aren't the only ones, but among the worse of the worst.

Students around the country behave poorly in sports settings. It is a societal problem because people take for granted their RIGHTS, but have little regard for the price of those RIGHTS. When there is no thought of the great RESPONSIBILITIES that come with freedom, common decency and regard for others goes out the window.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2020, 11:12 AM

Well said Franc ..... every member of this board should TU your post!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2020, 12:12 PM [ in reply to Re: The Downward Spiral of Low Expectations ]

Hmm

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

I would posit that many students behave poorly in sports

Jan 16, 2020, 6:31 PM [ in reply to Re: The Downward Spiral of Low Expectations ]

settings because they've seen the adults around them behave poorly in sports settings.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was shocked.....I had no idea that was "a thing" at LSU

Jan 15, 2020, 11:11 AM

there was something in defense of some alumni band members playing it on bourbon street.....and whatever, it's bourbon street, but I couldn't believe their own band played it all game long..................more surprised that virtually their ENTIRE fanbase was singing it. (men, women and children).

Now I don't get "offended".......i have thick skin nor would I ever sing it (fan or not), but I also don't think it's right that kids are exposed to it...........but that's just me.

the fact that the administration has supposedly banned it..

Jan 15, 2020, 11:20 AM

I think is a point of the OP.

I can guarantee something could be done. Start with punishing the band director with a fine or suspension if one note of it is played by the band. If that doesn't work, step two, suspend the band from a game. It could progress from there.

With the students, start kicking them out of the games, and then suspend the entire student section from the game.

Truth is, the administration doesn't care.

yeah...out of curiosity i had my wife look up the back story

Jan 15, 2020, 11:25 AM

on the way home.

supposedly banned from being played at the stadium in 2010 (i've never been so i don't know if it actually happened or not), but it obviously doesn't apply to away/bowl games.

There were 2 LSU fans in our section that had HATS with those NECK words on 'em..........i just looked at my wife and shook my head............(side note: they left and never returned after we went up by 10)

Re: the fact that the administration has supposedly banned it..

Jan 15, 2020, 11:36 AM [ in reply to the fact that the administration has supposedly banned it.. ]

I’d tell the band director ONE TIME, if I hear that chant the band will be silent, anything else and you’ll be fired.

an interesting comparison...

Jan 15, 2020, 11:46 AM

I went to the Clemson-GT game at GT a few years back the year Watson got hurt. There were some drunk, foul-mouth students behind us being loud and obnoxious all game. It was horrible.

I live in GA and when a friend, who is a GT fan, overheard me talking about it with someone else, I received a phone call from the GT athletic department apologizing for the experience.

P.S. I can handle raunchy people, but this was overboard.

Message was edited by: franc1968®

No different than the eff ewe Seminoles chant we do/did

Jan 15, 2020, 11:59 AM

With middle fingers fully extended. Not really necessary now I guess.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know anything about that...

Jan 15, 2020, 12:03 PM

I have stated in my original response thread that people behaving poorly in public happens everywhere. I would be surprised if our students were immune.

Worst part those weren't students in NO

Jan 15, 2020, 12:07 PM

Those were grown people, and mostly wealthy to be able to afford tickets, lodging, etc.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

there is no doubt***

Jan 15, 2020, 12:09 PM

students doing it and the ENTIRE fanbase doing it are.......

Jan 15, 2020, 2:39 PM [ in reply to No different than the eff ewe Seminoles chant we do/did ]

two different things.

I'm not defending students doing either chant/gesture, but to use the cliche......"they are students" most likely drunk.

But 85+% of LSUs fans and their band was participating in it...........CRAZY!

Shame I did't hear it on ESPN

Jan 15, 2020, 11:56 AM [ in reply to the fact that the administration has supposedly banned it.. ]

ESPN could then just forward their umpteen million dollar FCC fine to the LSU AD.

Re: I was shocked.....I had no idea that was "a thing" at LSU

Jan 15, 2020, 11:30 AM [ in reply to I was shocked.....I had no idea that was "a thing" at LSU ]

After walking back down Poydras St to the Hilton after the game, I will never again be "surprised" by anything. That LSU fan base is total trash. Yelling "F-Clemson" and "go home, we don't effing want you here" AFTER the game is truly over the line. This was my last trip to NOLA. I'll watch the Sugar Bowl on TV next year. If we go to the Rose Bowl, I'll be there, but I will not subject myself to New Orleans again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 15, 2020, 11:55 AM

I’ve been to NOLA dozens of times for work over the last 25 years, Baton Rouge also. I’m just surprised that LSU doesn’t care. I think people will vote with their money, I certainly do.

Jan 15, 2020, 2:26 PM

I have also been to countless medical and financial conventions there, and have always liked the city... until this trip. I was there two years ago for the Sugar Bowl, and since LSU wasn't playing, it was nowhere near this bad.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When you say their entire fanbase was singing it . . .

Jan 15, 2020, 3:38 PM [ in reply to I was shocked.....I had no idea that was "a thing" at LSU ]

". . . men, women and children," I think what you mean is, the *men* were singing it, even the female ones.

Jan 15, 2020, 11:11 AM

Is neck new? I was at the 2012 game and would have remembered that vulgar song!

I didnt hear anything like that in 2012 but i was in the clemson section.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no. I read that it started to make a slow comeback this year

Jan 15, 2020, 12:30 PM

And that the band fully played it at a game for the first time in the SEC title vs Georgia

These male chauvinistic/misogynist lyrics are triggering to

Jan 15, 2020, 11:54 AM

my anxiety. This is deplorable and unacceptable behavior from young, virile men. Definitely not acceptable behavior for the gentile and refined atmosphere of chivalry and kindness frequently displayed on Bourbon Street, or in a football stadium.

interesting***

Jan 15, 2020, 12:06 PM

The "virile young men" are one thing....

Jan 15, 2020, 12:13 PM [ in reply to These male chauvinistic/misogynist lyrics are triggering to ]

.... the 40ish women I saw singing the song - young children by their side - is another.

Well, kids have to see how not to behave to know

Jan 15, 2020, 12:33 PM

how not to behave.

First fight I saw between grown people started two rows down from our seats in Section M, Row GG in the 1987 UGA game. First time I heard a grown person say the F word (not on TV) was at the 1986 USC game. First time I saw a grown person so drunk they couldn't stand up was in Lot 5 before that 87 UGA game. First grown man I ever saw wearing a dress and dressed like a woman was at a Clemson game. Luckily I had traveled out of the country also before I was 10yo so when my 9yo eyes saw a Clemson coed flashing in the parking lot of a football game, it was less traumatizing.

All this before I was 10yo. And all of this over 35 years ago. And all of this at Clemson football games.

The atmosphere is SO MUCH better today than it used to be.

the Thing is, women and young girls sang it to***

Jan 15, 2020, 12:34 PM [ in reply to These male chauvinistic/misogynist lyrics are triggering to ]

I think that was his point***

Jan 15, 2020, 12:39 PM

I posted about this topic yesterday.

Jan 15, 2020, 12:19 PM

I know some of our fans, especially our students, shout/chant/say offensive things at Clemson games. That's been part of the game experience as long as I've been alive.

But for a university to openly support a song like Neck by allowing their band to play it is reprehensible and has no part in college athletics.

I felt for the LSU fans near me who turned a deaf ear to the song every time they played it. They obviously hate it & a few sitting on our row told me so.

I just hope Clemson never stoops that low as a university and fan base.

I know several LSU alums who would be apalled by the song...

Jan 15, 2020, 12:24 PM

I think it should be clear, this is not about being overly sensitive. I can deal with life and crude humor, but there should be some filters for public behavior.

Jan 15, 2020, 12:26 PM

Cajun Coots

Old & out of touch here ... no idea what we’re talking about

Jan 15, 2020, 12:37 PM

?? I know ... “Okay, Boomer” ... ??

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In my discussions with LSU fans about it, it has been described to me

Jan 15, 2020, 12:47 PM

as a tradition, much like Ohio St dotting the I or our Tigers running down The Hill. I tried to explain that they might not want that as something to be known for, and for that I am old and super uptight. I guess I made it there by 39

your traditions say a lot about who you are...

Jan 15, 2020, 12:49 PM

and what is important to you.

im so old I have no idea what you guys are talking about

Jan 15, 2020, 12:51 PM

anyone else?

What is neck?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: im so old I have no idea what you guys are talking about

Jan 15, 2020, 1:01 PM

Me too/somebody please explain.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LINK

Jan 15, 2020, 1:36 PM

NSFW

First they did it on Bourbon Street:

<###### async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8">

Then they did it in the stadium, with Burrows following along:

<###### async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8">

Good lord I had no idea what this was. I was in opposite corner

Jan 16, 2020, 9:28 PM

Of stadium in Clemson section and just thought it was some obscure chant. Ha! Yea I saw Burrow doing that. He will get his next year in BFL when his leg is snapped in two from the multitude of sacks he’s going to face.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good lord I had no idea what this was. I was in opposite corner

Jan 16, 2020, 9:28 PM [ in reply to LINK ]

Of stadium in Clemson section and just thought it was some obscure chant. Ha! Yea I saw Burrow doing that. He will get his next year in BFL when his leg is snapped in two from the multitude of sacks he’s going to face.

Re: im so old I have no idea what you guys are talking about

Jan 17, 2020, 7:59 AM [ in reply to Re: im so old I have no idea what you guys are talking about ]

You should google 'LSU Neck song'. It was played in 4th quarter and chanting after game. And beer thrown in my eyes walking down the street.

A University is as only as good as its typical students are

Jan 15, 2020, 1:09 PM

and they are pure white trash if this is how the act.

They are proud of being trash, and you can't change that.

You're (and our) energies should be directed toward making sure OUR students don't get any worse.

And it takes all of us to dot that.

I had to threaten a young punk last year at game for yelling obscenities every time he opened his mouth. He shut up, but I'm sure he was back at the next game unless someone else shut him up.

My dad always "said it's up to every generation to beat back the barbarians pounding at the gates: their children."

Truer words were never spoken, and unfortunately, as a whole, we've dropped the ball form several generations.

LORD have mercy on our souls.

Jan 15, 2020, 2:50 PM

Clemson would never allow such a thing.

Jan 15, 2020, 4:06 PM

Trash!
Band playing vulgar song!
100% of the trashy fans singing vulgar lyrics!
Trailer park, alligator eating, swamp people!
University allowing kids to be vulgar!

Sorry guys! You are ALL WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. What you are right about is that south LA is a culture that is very heavily influenced by social drinking. And too often, alcohol abuse, ie drunkenness. And New Orleans, like many large cities but probably greater than most, is a dark city and full of illicit activities unfortunately.

The band is prohibited by the administration from playing Neck. You DID NOT hear the band play it Monday night. Apology accepted.

The student section, in typical immature manner, now sing the obscene lyrics to any song the band plays that is in 4/4 time. They think it is cute. But many in the student section do not participate including the front row Tiger Stadium crowd, painted with jerseys including a cross signifying their "born again" status. Apology accepted.

A SMALL % of Tiger fans condone the singing of this song, certainly not a majority. Most of us are upstanding citizens, like you. Even gentile, well-raised, church-going Protestants and Catholics, who love our Tigers too. Unfortunately, some people of all ages & much of the younger crowd does not seem to have the same appreciation for clean language that do many of us. So, not only was not all Tiger fans singing, it wasn't even a majority. Apology accepted.

LSU is not located in New Orleans. That is Tulane. Baton Rouge is the home to LSU, Southern University (largest HBCU) and state government. But most of Louisianians are avid LSU fans, whether they ever attended the school or not. Having the Natty in NO makes it easily accessible to many "fans" to be present for the game or at least the party. Had we played you in Atlanta or Glendale, or anywhere else, you would have seen a different socio-economic class of Tiger fans. And with that would have been a different moral code as well. Might not be the same where you live, but it applies here. Apology accepted for the broad brush.

And as for the university's control, there is a First Amendment that allows students to say/chant/sing anything they desire without repercussion. This amendment DOES NOT apply in my household but does outside. The university CANNOT punish students for profane language. Makes you look silly that you think they can.

Great experience with my interaction with Clemson fans. Love Dabo and his sense of family and admiration for what he has built. Hope you appreciate it. Could do without his whining in the past weeks but I understand what he was trying to do.

Found your overconfidence amusing. 29-0 was a great accomplishment but 15 of them didn't count for this year so non-applicable. Most of you seemed to think we were just a bunch of cocky ######### while we really knew what we had. Hope we changed your mind. We could have scored 2-3 more times and made it really ugly had we not let off the gas with 11 minutes to go. We had solved BV's defense and your guys were demoralized. It was just a matter of going for 50-60 or being gentlemen from that point. Victory formation inside the 5 yd line is the ultimate.

You will be back because you are good and there is nothing in the ACC to challenge you. Hope FSU and Miami rebuild so it will become an interesting conference again. Until then, you guys get about 12 tune-ups (I know about aTm - good win).

We have some work to do but expect to be contenders in the SECW every year. Won't win it all the time, but will be competitive.

GO/GEAUX TIgers!

PS My Clemson friends & family who were so confident over lunch and drinks before the game were suddenly too tired to meet as planned after the game. Oh well. I was in such a good mood I bought drinks all night.

Long explanation...

Jan 15, 2020, 10:34 PM

with a few jabs and a little gloating thrown in there.

I'm glad a lot of LSU fans don't participate. Please give me your analysis of this video. Watch it to the end. A huge surprise on the big screen.

https://twitter.com/Ohneaux1/status/1216943857495089152

Apology Accepted

LongTimeTiger13

Jan 16, 2020, 6:52 PM [ in reply to Re: The Downward Spiral of Low Expectations ]

Wow!!! What is wrong with you????? Just rewatched the video again and since when do your "Students" bring instruments to the game? No apology needed.

Re: The Downward Spiral of Low Expectations - LONGTIMETIGER

Jan 16, 2020, 10:40 PM [ in reply to Re: The Downward Spiral of Low Expectations ]

LONGTIMETIGER - Grats LSU won the game and were the better team that night. You read like a cocky####. Just means you were the better team that night. Certainly not gentlemen and you can speculate about letting off the gas the last 11 minutes. Yes, you did take the victory formation at the end of the game just like we did last year with Alabama. Too bad we won't see you next year. Don't try to defend bad behavior - just admit when it is

Jan 15, 2020, 5:20 PM

Just so you know LSU did not play Neck and has not played Neck in over two years.

The "Suck that Tiger ####, #####" chant did happen, but it was to the song Say Amen (It's Saturday Night) by Panic at the Disco. The students have started using the STTDB chant to that song so the band stopped playing it the last couple of home games. They brought it back for the NC game and you know the rest. My guess is it's well on it's way of being banned just like Neck is.

Just thought I'd clear that up.

So.....

Jan 15, 2020, 5:59 PM

The band plays a different song knowing it will bring about the same vulgar cheer as the other song that was supposedly banned, so that makes it all good?!?

Just a bad look for LSU. Decent LSU fans should be demanding the cheer be banned rather than trying to justify why it happens.

Your post didn’t “clear that up”.

Re: So.....

Jan 15, 2020, 6:14 PM

Well it's possible they didnt think it would happen since it wasnt exactly a home game. I'm not in the mind of the band director so I would only be guessing. I'm not trying to convince you of anything though. I'm not trying to change your opinion.

Just clearing up factual incorrect statements that have been made so far in the thread.

you don't think it's widespread either?

Jan 15, 2020, 10:35 PM [ in reply to Re: The Downward Spiral of Low Expectations ]

Watch this all the way through

https://twitter.com/Ohneaux1/status/1216943857495089152

bvick1

If the band, and by extension university

Jan 16, 2020, 7:16 PM [ in reply to Re: The Downward Spiral of Low Expectations ]

Didn’t want it to happen they could have stopped playing the song the instant the “students” started chanting. They did not do so but continued playing thus encouraging the poor behavior. If the band wasn’t playing it is unlikely the canting would go on for very long. Once more, LSU does have some control but instead of exercising it CHOSE to encourage crude, vulgar behavior. Oh and the fact that they saw the “student” use the chant for different song yet proceeded to play that song at the semi and national championship just re-emphasizes the fact that LSU condones the activity.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Statistically it is a Grade C School at Best

Jan 15, 2020, 6:02 PM

That breeds lowbrow fans

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2020, 9:47 AM

This was definitely played and chanted during the game and their band seemed to be really into it. It was also chanted over and over again on Bourbon Street all weekend. We came away after 4 days in New Orleans with the opinion that their fanbase is more trashier than the coots and we didn't think that was possible.

Jan 16, 2020, 7:46 PM

Hey, you've got a president who makes fun of disabled people. Don't be surprised when the madding crowd imitates what they see as a refreshing break from "political correctness."

Don’t blame Trump...

Jan 17, 2020, 1:02 AM

If the president had that kind of influence and everyone did what he did then all of the LSU trash would have been going around apologizing to everybody for the 8 years that Obama was president.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

didnt bother me. What did bother me was the drunk

Jan 16, 2020, 9:24 PM

LSU student puking on street in front of cops while cussing Clemson fans out AND the cops laughing. Not a great scene in streets after that game. I got the hell out if dodge.

Replies: 64
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic