Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Slant Routes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Slant Routes

Sep 27, 2019, 11:23 PM

I don’t have any issues with our offense or our play calling. I have noticed, it seems like we rarely throw the slant and prefer deep shots and screens.

Alabama crushed South Carolina with slant patterns. We have similar personnel. It seems like it would be difficult to defend. Does anyone have any idea why the slant isn’t a bigger part of our offense?

Aaron Rodgers threw a pick last night on a slant. Maybe the coaches may feel like it’s riskier than a one on one deep ball.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Slant Routes

Sep 27, 2019, 11:44 PM

I wonder too and have noticed the same thing. Good question for David Hood to ask Dabo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 27, 2019, 11:51 PM

We don't have similar receivers to Alabama. They have smaller, shiftier, faster receivers who are extremely dangerous after the catch. The reason Tua's stats are so insane is YAC.

Our receivers are taller and stronger. They don't change direction and accelerate like Alabama's. Compared to them, most of our long pass plays are a result of actually throwing the ball downfield.

This is why we need more burners (like Arian Smith) on the roster.

I love our big receivers. Higgins, Ross, Ngata and Ladson are all studs. I also love what Ajou Ajou may represent because he is an absolutely scary dude!

Amari is the guy who is best suited to slants but I don't want him exposed like that for now. Ladson is probably fast enough but

Sep 28, 2019, 12:11 AM

Bama has big wr's too. They are smaller than ours of course as you stated, but they arent small. Jeudy is 6ft 1. He is a lot bigger than Amari. Also, they have don't have to be shifty to run a slant anyway.

I’m no sure about smaller and shiftier.

Sep 28, 2019, 12:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Slant Routes ]

9 of their wrs are 6’1 and over and that’s excluding tes.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SHHHHH We were saving the slant route for SCAR game.***

Sep 27, 2019, 11:52 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 27, 2019, 11:52 PM

Seems like a good idea. Several times when TL has gone
deep, a receiver has been open over the middle with only
the ref near him. Those dang slant routes were what Jakey
and Deebo were eating us up with last year; but Muscoots
defense couldn't stop much.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 28, 2019, 12:13 AM

We throw slant routes inside the 20 yard line. Maybe the OCs don’t like balls bouncing off receivers hands over the middle until we get close in and a pick is less likely on a shorter field over the middle.

Sep 28, 2019, 7:20 AM

I'm inclined to believe there is a lot of truth to this.

Sep 28, 2019, 7:58 AM

I'm not sure why our OC's don't call many slant routes anymore.

But, it's interesting that you bring up 'Bama's success using slant routs. If 'Bama were to run them against our 3-4 scheme can you imagine the carnage?

Isaiah Simmons would put some people in the hospital. 'Bama had better work on running between the tackles because that slant-route stuff ain't gonna work against this season's "D".

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 28, 2019, 8:20 AM

Tee and Ross are basically the same WR. Both are vertical threats. Same with Ladson and Ngata. We had Overton in the slot early, so just another Tee and Ross type. In the past, we’ve always had that shiftier WR to go along with a vertical threat. Sammy and Nuk. Artavis and Mike. Ray Ray and Deon. Amari and Tee last year.

I think we all wanted Cornell to be that guy, but it hasn’t worked out yet. There is a clear gap between our top 3 WRs and everybody else. Tee, Ross, and Amari are clearly our best 3. Amari sliding to the slot and putting Ross at the boundary is the best lineup. Two vertical threats, Amari in the slot, and an improved ETN out of the backfield. It’s going to be lethal the more we play. I really hope we can find a way to sign Arian Smith out of Lakeland. He has legit speed.

Sep 28, 2019, 8:21 AM

With Trevor’s arm/accuracy and the size/speed of our receivers, I just think it would be tough to defend. A couple of plays a game would give the defense more to think about and force safeties to shade coverage underneath. That would open up the post and corner routes. Just a thought.

Why put that on tape before we have to?

Sep 28, 2019, 8:33 AM

We really haven’t been challenged yet. Our play book will remain pretty vanilla and we will out talent people until post season. I’m sure we are working on perfecting the playbook in practice, against the best defense we will face in the regular season.

Sep 28, 2019, 8:37 AM

With Trevor’s arm/accuracy and the size/speed of our receivers, I just think it would be tough to defend. A couple of plays a game would give the defense more to think about and force safeties to shade coverage underneath. That would open up the post and corner routes. Just a thought.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic