Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sky is definitely not falling down and a couple of playoff blowouts after 2 nattys is not the
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Sky is definitely not falling down and a couple of playoff blowouts after 2 nattys is not the

Jan 3, 2021, 3:00 PM

end of the world...Staying on top is never easy and it’s crazy that a small school in SC had this much success during the last 6 years! but it will be interesting to reflect on a few things that might be needed if we need to stay on top nationally in the coming decade...

1) An innovative offensive scheme that doesn’t always rely on generational QBs who need to make NFL throws like Tom Brady and run like Michael Vick. I mean, did we really need to change Trevor into a power running QB? It will be interesting to see how Trevor does in an advanced NFL scheme that doesn’t need him to run head first into an incoming LB.

1b) An OC who has autonomy in play-calling. It doesn’t help if your head coach calls half the plays. Offense looks out of sync even in blowouts against ACC teams.

2) DE and Safety coaching. Hall and Conn are not getting it done. We used to develop 3 and 4 star players to into really effective DEs when Hobby/Brooks were here. Multiple 4 and 5 star players are becoming average pass rushers during the last 3 years. I think that hampers Brent Venables a lot. BV is trying his best to scheme around ineffective DE and safety play and good OCs are starting to exploit this when we play against big teams. I think Dabo’s hiring of friends in Hall and Conn is handicapping BV.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sky is definitely not falling down and a couple of playoff blowouts after 2 nattys is not the

Jan 3, 2021, 3:12 PM

Solid analysis, but you're letting Caldwell off easy. And Brett is complicit in his own shortcomings. Go read up on the PFF reports for the OSU game about a certain d-back with same last name. Abysmal is about he only word I can find to describe it.

The "friends and family" plan was quaint back in 2016, but with the advent of the graduate transfer era and the transfer portal and coupled with what increasingly smells like some complacency, we're starting to lose ground to the blue bloods. And it is showing up on the biggest stages.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

True! but our OL has always been average even during the Natty runs...

Jan 3, 2021, 3:21 PM

It definitely doesn’t excuse OL coaching though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: True! but our OL has always been average even during the Natty runs...

Jan 3, 2021, 4:06 PM

I would say a little better than average but not dominant. Not good in short yardage runs either.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sky is definitely not falling down and a couple of playoff blowouts after 2 nattys is not the

Jan 3, 2021, 5:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Sky is definitely not falling down and a couple of playoff blowouts after 2 nattys is not the ]

My lord. Losing ground? To the "blue bloods"? I don't know about you but I consider Clemson is one of those "blue bloods". Surprised that you don't.

We have some problems. Swinney will fix them. End of story.

Jan 3, 2021, 3:13 PM

#2 is 100% correct.

Under Hobby and Brooks the DL was always violent, dominant, mean and nasty.

Don't know how Caldwell and Reed escape blame...

Jan 3, 2021, 3:21 PM

Caldwell in his 9+ years on this team hasn't had what I'd call a dominant line yet. Nor has he put any of his guys in the 1st round despite having guys like Hyatt, Simpson and Carmen.

As far as Reed goes, I think the secondary troubles fall on him. By far the best talent in our secondary over the past few years has been at corner and we've struggled to do very basic things like play the ball in the air. No doubt that's on coaching.

At least Conn has a track record of great DB play when he was at Grayson. And he's made guys like Nolan Turner who'd probably struggle to start at most D1 colleges look like a legit talent. I Think he should probably just take over duties for the entire secondary.

Jan 3, 2021, 3:31 PM

Just hope we learned from the experience. We have the personal to stay on top.

Jan 3, 2021, 5:03 PM

Swinney is not changing his offense. He has made it work with less than generational talent and will continue to do so.

If I am the head ball coach and my job is on the line I am not about to give an OC autonomy. No coach will. I don't know if Swinney calls half the plays and neither do you. But I remind you in his interim year the first thing he did was fire the OC and he called the game the rest of the year. He ain't burnt toast at it you know.

It ain't defensive end and safety play. Straight out once Clemson gets into the playoffs our defensive and offensive lines are just not big enough to stay with the big boys.

Geez. We lose one game and the fan base turns on them, snarling. I think that pretty much the Clemson coaches know more about football than this board. I hope you agree.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic