Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Since we are talking about houses...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Since we are talking about houses...

Dec 4, 2020, 2:27 PM

What is up with "luxury vinyl planks"? Its neither luxury nor planks; is just plastic strips thrown on the floor in straight lines, painted to look like wood, that makes a lot of noise when you walk on it.

Its the weakest part of this house. If I were building another house, and it was the choice between that and just plain concrete, I'd just stain the concrete, put a sealer on it, and put a drain in the middle.

Next to a pallet deck, LVP is the most UDP of anything ever put in a house.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Since we are talking about houses...

Dec 4, 2020, 2:39 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's cheep and looks good.

Dec 4, 2020, 2:49 PM

HOWEVER, with that being said, when we did a remodel of our last home (pre-kids), we did some research. We wanted rich, dark, wade-board hardwood floors that would stand up to the herd of kids were planning to unleash. After some searching, we found some type of fake flooring that was made with real Brazilian (darkwood). It cost about the same as real hardwoods. BUT, it never scratched, looked awesome, and didn't creak at all. LOVED IT.

So anyway, it was the same price as real hardwoods, but it was cheaper than a real nice hardwood, and lasted! Wood do again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This ish sounds like I have tap shoes on when i walk

Dec 4, 2020, 2:52 PM

across the floor.

It looks cheap as crap, too. If I owned a house that gets flooded probably very 10-15 years or so, I'd probably just put tile everywhere. Even the wood looking tile would be better.

Is it right on a concrete slab? We used to live in a place

Dec 4, 2020, 2:58 PM

that had that. #### was so hard it hurt my feet just walking around inside. And yeah it would make noise where it wasn't adhered well.

Yep. An uneven slab from 1960, and part in 1990.

Dec 4, 2020, 3:00 PM

The slats of plastic have what looks to be cork board glued to the back of them, and they snap together length wise.

LUXURY! IT SAYS RIGHT THERE ON THE BOX***

Dec 4, 2020, 3:07 PM

Well, I was all gung-ho for real hardwood.

Dec 4, 2020, 3:02 PM [ in reply to This ish sounds like I have tap shoes on when i walk ]

Wife tried to explain there are alternatives that look just as good, and are better. Whatever it was we picked (store out of business now), she made a believer out of me. I wish I could remember the color/wood and the type of flooring. It wasn't vynl planks. It was something else. It was like $10/ft or something like that. Not cheap by any means, but probably a little less than real solid hardwoods that would look the same.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If i ever do new flooring again..(and its possible I won't)

Dec 4, 2020, 3:06 PM

I'd probably go that wood looking tile in entrance / exits or just tile, and then do either real hard wood that is finished on site, or Hallmark engineered wide planks that I had in my last house.

With two goldens running in and out and occasionally vomiting and pooping on it, wine spills from my wife, beer spills from me, and whatever else landed on it, it looked better after 4 years than it did when new. It aged amazingly well. It required re-oiling about every 2 years or so, but was well worth the additional cost.

i got the wood look tile in the basement

Dec 4, 2020, 3:27 PM

like you said....because it flooded, and I ain't putting carpet down here again.

this stuff was normally $2/sf...down to $1 for black friday last year...mislabeled as $0.75 on the floor, which I made Lowes honor....and I got the Lowes card to get another %'age off.

it's not my favorite, but I got like 700sf of it for $400-something bucks, so I'm happy pretending it's my favorite

$400 is like 2 nights with Carlsbad's

Dec 4, 2020, 3:43 PM

hooker. I would imagine 700 sqft of ANY flooring would be at least 8 nights.

It's LVT...

Dec 4, 2020, 2:56 PM

Which stands for Luxury Vinyl Tile.

Re: It's LVT...

Dec 4, 2020, 2:58 PM

The boxes that were left here when we moved in said "LVP".

Its all fake and plastic to me.

https://www.calibamboo.com/vinyl-flooring.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=693625339&utm_adgroup=51982694043&utm_term=luxury%20plank%20vinyl%20flooring&utm_matchtype=p&utm_device=c&k_clickid=_k_Cj0KCQiA2af-BRDzARIsAIVQUOc4Bbt3qFFpkx8jzjg5MVaIJGE0MABaqtGu0lKjiDTLb5sbOL08GIEaAmy0EALw_wcB_k_&utm_product=&utm_placement=&utm_campaign_product=Vinyl&utm_ad_group_product=Vinyl&utm_cta=&utm_promos=&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2af-BRDzARIsAIVQUOc4Bbt3qFFpkx8jzjg5MVaIJGE0MABaqtGu0lKjiDTLb5sbOL08GIEaAmy0EALw_wcB

That schyatt is showing up everywhere

Dec 4, 2020, 3:04 PM

I’m leaning toward bamboo for my new flooring

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Had a buddy that did the bamboo, it looked great.***

Dec 4, 2020, 3:38 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic