Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ahhhhhh Hawaii - a golfer's paradise
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 325

ahhhhhh Hawaii - a golfer's paradise

Jan 7, 2013, 11:25 AM

The 2013 campaign endured yet another scrubbed launch on Sunday at Kapalua Resort’s Plantation Course, but not before an hour or so of golf blooper reel shots had been filmed.

Here’s a few of the wild scenes that played out mid-day Sunday at Kapalua, as the trades over the northwest corner of this island got turned up and an exposed former pineapple field turned into a picturesque, rolling golf course became basically unplayable for 30 of the top players on the globe:

• Ben Curtis played two holes, hit two greens in regulation, and stood at 5 over. That’s not a typo. He three-putted the par-4 10th hole, and his tee shot that was at one time on the putting surface at the par-3 11th was blown off the green. A chip and four putts later, he had authored a 6-6 start and was 5 over.

“I’m 5 over. And I haven’t missed a shot,” he said afterward. “The only thing you can do is laugh.”

• Scott Piercy, who teed off on the par-4 10th, got hit by a gust of wind after he started his swing, made contact with the turf about 8 inches behind his ball and what would have been the opening drive of his 2013 season traveled a whopping 38 yards. (There is not a digit missing in that sentence.)

“People talk about all the long drives that are hit at Kapalua,” he said later. “But what about some of the shortest drives ever hit here?” That one surely would have to rank right in there.

• George McNeill made sure to stand on the side to watch fellow competitor Ryan Moore’s approach at the par-4 third hole. Moore had 110 yards to the pin and hit 8-iron. McNeill watched as the ball climbed to its apex, appeared to hit a wall of wind, and then began retreating backwards in the air. Moore’s shot finished 30 yards short of the green. As in 8-iron, 80 yards. He made bogey. That’s some wind.

• Kuchar couldn’t get a ball to stay on the tee as he tried to start his round on 10. Already he had decided to play without a hat, having had it blow off his head twice already on the driving range. His ball fell off the tee once, he re-teed, then a second gust knocked it off again, this time the ball rolling 4-5 feet before coming to rest.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are those really big people?

Jan 7, 2013, 11:28 AM

or is that a really small car?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think maybe the tee boxes are marked with small cars***

Jan 7, 2013, 11:30 AM

Yes, it does offer a weird mind trick though.***

Jan 7, 2013, 11:31 AM

it would be nice if they maybe noted the wind speed??***

Jan 7, 2013, 11:31 AM

high

Jan 7, 2013, 11:32 AM

hth

I think I heard around 50 mph gusts***

Jan 7, 2013, 11:33 AM [ in reply to it would be nice if they maybe noted the wind speed??*** ]

article said about 48-50mph

Jan 7, 2013, 11:34 AM [ in reply to it would be nice if they maybe noted the wind speed??*** ]

I edited the article down some.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i see***

Jan 7, 2013, 11:35 AM

Should that car go in the small engine thread?***

Jan 7, 2013, 11:39 AM

Replies: 9
| visibility 325
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic