Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Shotgun on inches to get first down.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,473

Shotgun on inches to get first down.

Oct 16, 2016, 8:13 PM

We catch heck getting the first down.
But they do it everytime?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Shotgun on inches to get first down.

Oct 16, 2016, 8:25 PM

Agree! It is beyond perplexing!

Didn't they learn from....

Oct 16, 2016, 9:00 PM

The Florida St. game two years ago that it was bad idea to be in the shotgun at the 6 inch line ?

We scored at least twice in short yardage and shotgun in

Oct 16, 2016, 9:35 PM

the FSU game you're referencing, plus, it looked like CJ Davidson actually scored on a 3rd short yardage shotgun that happened just before the bad snap... one of VERY, VERY, VERY few times where shotgun in short yardage didn't work for one reason or another.

The biggest thing is, you're not guaranteed a darn thing from under center either.

I'll take our results instead. Overall, you need to look at the bigger picture:

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=20251500#20251500

Re: We scored at least twice in short yardage and shotgun in

Oct 16, 2016, 9:43 PM

I can understand with a whole yard or 2 but inches?
It don't make much sense to start 3or 4 yards back to gain 4 inches.

Other than a QB sneak of FB dive

Oct 16, 2016, 10:10 PM

the RB handoff occurs at about the same point in the shotgun as it does from under center. For a few inches I like QB sneaks myself, but you simply cannot argue with our success since Elliot and Scott have taken over. We have been HIGHLY successful as noted in winning 21 of 22 games and even shotgunning Alabama in the face from a yard out in the only loss in that run. Just as a side note, QB sneaks don't always work either. Our defense has stopped them several times against others, just for example. If you watch lots of football on Saturdays and Sundays, there are lots of ways to skin that cat. I say just do what you do best. We tried to get Watson in space and let him find a whole. Great idea, bad execution. Being under center and handing off to a 2nd or 3rd team RB doesn't look much more enticing, to me anyway. I could have seen the jumbo package deal, but then again run it every time and teams will figure out a way to beat it. Then folks will complain saying we should've run our Heisman contender on the edge.Overall I can't see nitpicking one or few plays. It happens every game to every team. I more so think looking at the big picture is wiser.

Oct 16, 2016, 9:21 PM

We had no problem with short yardage last year, we picked up the first down almost every time. This year is a different story though, I bet we are less than 50% on 3rd or 4th and short. Really frustrating.

this is a stat I've been dying to find

Oct 16, 2016, 9:29 PM

Performance on converting 3rd or 4th down under 2 yards. Particularly in the red zone and even more at the goal line.

Last year we were guaranteed - at least if felt like it.

Historically it feels like there have been so many misses. Maybe I just remember the misses more. Anyway, I've been looking out for a stat like this for years.

All I could find was...

Oct 16, 2016, 9:39 PM

Last year we were 13th in 3rd conversion at 47.4%.

This year we're currently 17th at 48.6%. We're actually converting more 3rd downs this year than last.

But I couldn't find short yardage...

Oct 16, 2016, 9:45 PM

Why do we rarely go under center? Just my opinion, but D.W. must not be comfortable under center. He works out of shotgun 99.9% of the time. Center QB direct ball exchange (under center) takes tremendous amount of reps to perfect. They do not get the reps to be proficient at it. It is just a reality of only having so many hours to practice and not having the time to be excellent at everything. Just my 2 cents, but I would run the wildcat before I would put DW under center.
Dabo wins games. As as long as the worst we have to complain about is ugly wins, we are in dang good shape.

Oct 16, 2016, 10:04 PM

What I don't understand is if we're gonna go from shotgun, why don't we use the jumbo package they have more often. If they can't get a yard with all that size pushing the line then we didn't deserve it, but they seem reluctant to break it out

Oct 16, 2016, 10:09 PM

I believe we live by the spread and we should use it even in short yardage. Spread the field, take wide gaps, and let our R.B. beat their L.B. one on one.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,473
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic