Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
DOCTOR Jill Biden
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 50
| visibility 1

DOCTOR Jill Biden

Dec 14, 2020, 9:14 PM

Typical of the left, another case of being totally FAKE. The Wall Street Journal article questioning Jill Biden's use of "Dr." is totally appropriate. Yet, the left has to be totally offended and outraged. Awww.

She got a PhD in Education from the elite Univ of Delaware at the age of 55 with a dissertation ("Student retention at the community college: meeting students' needs") any of my kids could have written as high school seniors. What a total crock of chit to believe you deserve to be called Dr after that.

I have a PhD in mechanical engineering and know d@mn well what a real PhD is about. I had to use every day of every weekend for > six months going through an entire engineering or math text book in a day preparing for a qualification exam on the entire curriculum of mechanical engineering and math. And math means calculus, linear algebra, and partial differential equations. It was a ridiculously difficult challenge, and that is the way it should be.

I'm offended at these pseudo intellectuals like Jill Biden and the rest of the fake PhD holders.

Dr. Jussie Smollett deserves a PhD in acting more than JB deserves to entitle herself to "Dr."

And here are the dumba$$ libs from The View saying "Dr. Jill Biden should be surgeon general." Pathetic people. YCMTSU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6tn29M1eJA

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: DOCTOR Jill Biden

Dec 14, 2020, 9:23 PM

Dec 14, 2020, 9:30 PM

Same with meteorology. I know quite a few meteorologists with phd's yet NONE of them addressed as doctors.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2020, 9:33 PM

A lot of profs at universities do though for some reason, I had a few over the years. My grandfather had PHD though and he worked for JPL. He was bad a$$. He just went by Bill though.

Dec 14, 2020, 9:42 PM

I'm referring to the weatherman on tv. I've never seen one introduced as dr yet many have a doctorate. I don't.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2020, 10:43 PM [ in reply to Re: DOCTOR Jill Biden ]

You tend to see that a lot in the K-12 education crowd, per usual making it seem like they work harder than anyone else. I had two math teachers in high school that made us students call them that.

So what? They earned their titles, and that's what they're called.

What bizarro world have I entered tonight where people think PhDs don't count?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Might be a Berenstain/Mandela situation

Dec 15, 2020, 12:32 AM

Maybe some of us are from a universe where Ph.D. stands for, like, maybe Phunkadelic Disco instead of Doctor of Philosophy.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This WSJ article from September refers to Lynne Cheney

Dec 14, 2020, 9:23 PM

as "Dr. Cheney" 16 times. Lynne Cheney's doctorate is in 19th-century British literature.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/lynne-cheneys-journey-to-the-founding-era-11601049245

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This WSJ article from September refers to Lynne Cheney

Dec 14, 2020, 9:25 PM

Dec 14, 2020, 9:28 PM

How about Dr. Martin Luther King? He has one in theology from Boston University.

Dec 14, 2020, 9:34 PM [ in reply to Re: This WSJ article from September refers to Lynne Cheney ]

I think we can all draw the line at Dr. J though.

What about Dr. Dre?***

Dec 14, 2020, 9:47 PM

Re: What about Dr. Dre?***

Dec 14, 2020, 9:52 PM

I heard he was a vascular surgeon before he got into music.

The most legit of doctors.***

Dec 14, 2020, 10:20 PM [ in reply to What about Dr. Dre?*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Why the Dickens would anybody get a degree in that???***

Dec 15, 2020, 12:21 PM [ in reply to Re: This WSJ article from September refers to Lynne Cheney ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Well, that's a news article

Dec 14, 2020, 10:16 PM [ in reply to This WSJ article from September refers to Lynne Cheney ]

The Biden one was just an opinion column, and a bad one at that.

Actual articles will call people Dr. when the hold the title. All of them.

NPR doesn't. I'm sure they're not the only ones

Dec 15, 2020, 2:01 AM

"Longstanding NPR policy is to reserve the title of "Dr." for an individual who holds a doctor of dental surgery, medicine, optometry, osteopathic medicine, podiatric medicine or veterinary medicine."

https://www.npr.org/sections/publiceditor/2018/09/28/652538222/npr-doesnt-confer-dr-on-ph-d-s-heres-why

Interesting.

Dec 15, 2020, 8:03 AM

I didn't know that.

AP style calls for using Dr. for PhDs, although citing what the PhD is in. That's interesting NPR bucks that.

Dec 14, 2020, 9:24 PM

People with PHD's go by doctor quite often. I always thought it was weird, but it's totally common. It's normal. She is a doctor actually, but just not an MD.

Shhhh bb is ok***

Dec 14, 2020, 9:29 PM

You're trying really hard to be mad

Dec 14, 2020, 9:31 PM

if you think this is an issue. Personally, I fall into the only use the Dr. title for MDs.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You're trying really hard to be mad

Dec 14, 2020, 9:40 PM

I am kind all over the map. What about if it is a PHD in nuclear fusion or something extreme like some crazy extreme physics? Some of those dudes go by doctor.

Dec 14, 2020, 9:45 PM

Dec 14, 2020, 9:55 PM [ in reply to Re: You're trying really hard to be mad ]

You're probably less likely to care then since you probably are surrounded by other PhDs.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seems like a rather odd thing to be angry about.

Dec 14, 2020, 9:32 PM

I'm sure there are Ivy League PhDs who would mock the mere thought of you calling yourself a doctor. Where's the baseline? Is University of Delaware accredited? Anybody who put in less work and effort for their PhD isn't worthy of calling themselves "doctor", but anybody who put in the same amount as you or more is? School has to be US World News top 92 public college, or whatever rank yours was?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, I'll keep it simple.

Dec 14, 2020, 10:13 PM

1. It's a real PhD.

2. No, your kids couldn't have written it. Especially if their grammar models yours.

3. You aren't special and your degree isn't any more special than hers.

4. People who judge others for their degrees or career paths, if honest paths, are despicable.

5. The WSJ op-ed (not an article... even your high school kids would know that) was absurd. And if someone wrote a column like that attacking Melania, you'd be wetting your knickers right now with rage.

6. You still called for a new civil war and jailing people for their political beliefs so anything you say isn't really worth a ####.

Re: So, I'll keep it simple.

Dec 15, 2020, 11:27 AM

1. It's a real PhD. No it's not real.

2. No, your kids couldn't have written it. Especially if their grammar models yours. They could have easily written it.

3. You aren't special and your degree isn't any more special than hers. No, it really is more special.

4. People who judge others for their degrees or career paths, if honest paths, are despicable. You sir, are despicable, at least according to TBalm.

5. The WSJ op-ed (not an article... even your high school kids would know that) was absurd. And if someone wrote a column like that attacking Melania, you'd be wetting your knickers right now with rage. Who is Melania?

6. You still called for a new civil war and jailing people for their political beliefs so anything you say isn't really worth a ####. Huh? Are you posting this from jail?

Re: So, I'll keep it simple.

Dec 15, 2020, 11:38 AM

1. Yes, it is.

2. No, they couldn't.

3. I think we can agree you're probably lying about your credentials.

4. TBalm didn't say that, and you're despicable for attacking someone's career and credentials.

4. Who is Melania Trump?!

5. Never forget that moronic post.

Lutz. Your post smacks of engineering elitism.***

Dec 14, 2020, 11:02 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t see the problem. The Myrtle Beach Bowl is a Bowl.

Dec 14, 2020, 11:39 PM

No one who wins it sits at a table with the Rose Bowl Champions and says “hey, look at us...we’re the same.”

I thought the title of someone who has earned a PhD is “doctor”. I don’t consider someone who earned a PhD in Education the same as a PhD in Theoretical Physics, but I’m happy to call them both “doctor”. It’s not up to me to determine if the program that gave them their doctorate is reputable or the rigor of the doctorate curriculum is sufficient.

I didn’t read the WSJ piece on this but I’m a bit disappointed they are wasting time on this sort of stuff.

null

Re: I don’t see the problem. The Myrtle Beach Bowl is a Bowl.

Dec 15, 2020, 8:22 AM

You must not know many coots.

We win championships yet many of them think they're still as good as us. ??

So Weak

Dec 14, 2020, 11:46 PM

This isn’t the kind of petty faux manufactured outrage I was expecting. We can’t do this for the next four years. I INSIST that you get into more salacious detail. Surely there was an affai of some kind, maybe a pool boy or landscaper.

This is going to be such a dopey four years.

This whole "Dr." issue

Dec 15, 2020, 12:27 AM

is even dumber than the legal arguments made by Trump lawyers.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2020, 7:57 AM

If she has a PhD and wants to be doctor, I have no issue with that.

Did you read the piece?...

Dec 15, 2020, 8:13 AM

it wasn't a WSJ article, but rather an op-ed on the opinion page.

The op-ed was childishly written. Why do I care what Jill Biden calls herself? She earned a doctorate (don't think it was a PhD though) so she can use the title if she wants to.

And your my doctorate was harder than your doctorate is also kind of childish. In the end...who gives a crap?

I read it. Laughed hard at this disclaimer in the

Dec 15, 2020, 8:30 AM

second paragraph.

“I taught at Northwestern University for 30 years without a doctorate or any advanced degree. I have only a B.A. in absentia from the University of Chicago—in absentia because I took my final examination on a pool table at Headquarters Company, Fort Hood, Texas, while serving in the peacetime Army in the late 1950s. I do have an honorary doctorate, though I have to report that the president of the school that awarded it was fired the year after I received it, not, I hope, for allowing my honorary doctorate. During my years as a university teacher I was sometimes addressed, usually on the phone, as “Dr. Epstein.” On such occasions it was all I could do not to reply, “Read two chapters of Henry James and get into bed. I’ll be right over.””

Ed.D***

Dec 15, 2020, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Did you read the piece?... ]

Dec 15, 2020, 8:18 AM

she is a doctor like dr pepper is a doctor

Well Dr. NC_Tiger. Good for you & relax. Better for health.***

Dec 15, 2020, 8:20 AM

Weird attitude, to me...

Dec 15, 2020, 8:30 AM

If someone gets a doctorate degree, then what's the harm in calling them Dr.? Is there something wrong with being nice and respectful to someone? Who cares if they "deserve" it, if I can even judge such a thing?

Just err on the side of kindness.

This was not an issue until some idiot got published in WSJ.***

Dec 15, 2020, 8:49 AM

ROFL, I'm sure you have a PhD in Mechanical Engineering, yea***

Dec 15, 2020, 8:53 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Lots of Doctors in Congress

Dec 15, 2020, 9:42 AM

Have we been ignoring attorneys? A JD degree= Juris Doctor. The current Congress has 145 House members who are attorneys and 47 Senators who are attorneys. I never hear them referred to as Doctor. There are 16 physicians in Congress along with 5 dentists and 3 veterinarians. I rarely hear any of them referred to as Doctor. At least there is some consistency. I think it is appropriate for the media to refer to Jill Biden as Dr.. I think she is being pompous if she asks others to call her doctor or refers to herself as doctor. I am a retired physician. I never called myself Doctor unless I was entering the room for the first time to meet a patient or talking with the families, so that they knew exactly what my role was. I always found it amusing when I would meet usually an elderly physician out in public who introduced himself as Doctor. She earned a doctorate degree and it's fine by me if the media refers to her as Doctor, but hopefully she is not hung up on the title??

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lots of Doctors in Congress

Dec 15, 2020, 11:30 AM

True. You never hear a JD called "doctor."

She earned a PhD, so she can use the title Dr if she chooses.

Dec 15, 2020, 9:49 AM

I never would have expected engineering to require so much math??

she has the same degree as Bill Cosby...l0l!!84!!***

Dec 15, 2020, 10:01 AM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Re: she has the same degree as Bill Cosby...l0l!!84!!***

Dec 15, 2020, 11:06 AM

Nothing triggers Republicans more than an educated, powerful woman

Dec 15, 2020, 11:16 AM

It sure is fun to watch them seethe at the thought of it.

They prefer first ladies that pose nude, marry a rich playboy, and keep their mouths shut.

Re: Nothing triggers Republicans more than an educated, powerful woman

Dec 15, 2020, 11:31 AM

LOL. Educated and powerful. Did you hit reply to the wrong post?

But JB is articulate if you have not noticed. So she has that going for her.

Dec 15, 2020, 11:34 AM

Being an east-coast hypereducated elitist, I'm going to fall with the derps and NPR on this one. PhDs, DNPs, PTs, PAs, JDs, etc all have 'doctorate' in the degree... but the word "doctor" has a certain implication in modern society, and it's not that you're an expert on Chaucer.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2020, 12:23 PM

Agreed.

Replies: 50
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic