Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Shaq Smith
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Shaq Smith

Nov 13, 2019, 9:24 AM

he's currently a backup with 14 tackles on the season. Im huge on a player doing whatevers best for them, but that will always be the biggest head scratcher. He was primed to be a starter/team captain.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Shaq Smith

Nov 13, 2019, 9:27 AM

The greener grass on the other side of the fence may be artificial.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2019, 9:27 AM

His reasons for transferring were not tied to playing time / NFL future. He wanted to be closer to family and had ties to the new coaching staff.

^^ This. It wasn't a situation like Bryant or Feaster where

Nov 13, 2019, 10:24 AM

he thought he was 'bettering himself' which is code for 'he thinks he's better than he is'.

Nov 13, 2019, 9:33 AM

He just isnt that good and probably wouldnt have been a starter for us in the end.

Nov 13, 2019, 10:00 AM

If he isnt starting and leading at MD then I suspect he wouldnt be having a big impact at Clemson had he stayed. Md is bad across the board

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cautionary Tale Here About Star Rating!

Nov 13, 2019, 12:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Shaq Smith ]

This is just another cautionary tale of "not believing the hype" surrounding a players star rating!

The folks who keep up with recruiting will disagree; but I can prove with "DATA" there more 3 star or less players that make the NFL than there are 5 stars. I didn't put 4 stars in that(clever right). But, getting a 5 star talent does not guarantee anything except 1 thing: "they should be good to contribute on a high level out the gate"!

The way it was explained to me: 5 star player will have an immediate impact on their college team. Like being a starter or primary reserve. They need little to no further development. And some do exactly that - they have reached their ceiling and can't mentally or physically proceed any further as a football player! To which - you hate it b/c where they are may very well not be good enough.

Give me the guy who just needs to get stronger and then his potential will be through the roof! Or the guy who never had a steady diet or speed training. Or basically access to some things other players may have had. Once I provide them - if he has potential - that player will go a lot farther(most of the time). Some 5 stars continue to develop - but you had better know their work ethic before you sign them. And their mental make up and what's important to them.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Cautionary Tale Here About Star Rating!

Nov 13, 2019, 12:51 PM

You are right that there are more 3 stars in NFL, but it’s because of the shear number of 3stars(much higher) vs the number of 5 stars(much lower). However the 5 stars have a much higher percentage of making the NFL vs 3 star rated athletes.

Nov 13, 2019, 7:59 PM [ in reply to Cautionary Tale Here About Star Rating! ]

More 3 star players make the NFL...yes. A higher percentage of 5 star players make the NFL. Youre clueless.

Nov 13, 2019, 8:11 PM

Carlsbad® said:

More 3 star players make the NFL...yes. A higher percentage of 5 star players make the NFL. Youre clueless.

Wow, throwing insults! And "like a kid" playing with numbers. Of the 5 star players b/c there aren't that many: Duh, it takes fewer of them to make it to make it look like a great percentage!

In contrast, there are a ton of 3 star players, which drives that percentage down!

Come on with something better than that!

https://247sports.com/Article/NFL-Draft-recruiting-rankings-go-hand-in-hand--117819292/

Nov 13, 2019, 8:29 PM

Youre clueless on this issue. Just this one.

Nov 13, 2019, 8:30 PM

Carlsbad® said:

Youre clueless on this issue. Just this one.

Whatever you say expert! ( sarcasm )

Nov 13, 2019, 8:33 PM

Its kind of common knowledge, but then again, some people are clueless. Don't beat yourself up chief. A much higher % of the 4 and 5 stars go in the 1st round. Just lick your wounds and realize youre clueless. Now you know.

Nov 13, 2019, 8:58 PM

So says the person behind the keyboard resorting to name calling! You aren't worth the effort. Even with proof you won't get it.

Nov 13, 2019, 9:00 PM

What name were you called again that bothered you?

Nov 13, 2019, 9:05 PM

Let's see "chief"! Sounding like a bad movie tough guy! You can think what you want - I see the angle you tend to take on most things on this board. So, have at it "chief" just know this - "a lie does not care who tells it" even if the story tellers name is Carlsbad!

BTW - there isn't a thing you can say that will bother me! I am just pointing out how when someone is beaten they resort to 2nd grade tactics.

Nov 13, 2019, 9:09 PM

You're very bothered already, chief.

Nov 13, 2019, 9:18 PM

Right!

Bothered b/c a person of your level is trying to step up and doing a poor job at it. And basically wasting my time. How old are you like 18 or something?

Taking the high road though. I didn't log on to go back and forth with you Carlsbad. You clearly don't have anything else going on for you; so i'll let you have it. Now go get that grape soda yourself so your grandma don't have to. LOL!

Peace!

Go Tigers!

No way he would have beaten Skalski or Smith

Nov 13, 2019, 9:34 AM

out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2019, 10:00 AM

If he is a backup at Maryland with that terrible defense, then he is what he is. Not good and a bust. Good kid and great personality but at this point, his 5 star ranking is way unjustified. Skalski a 4 star and Smith a 3 star are just better.

Nov 13, 2019, 10:13 AM

And; He's probly not good at kicking extra points.

Skalski was a three too***

Nov 13, 2019, 11:15 AM [ in reply to Re: Shaq Smith ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2019, 8:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Shaq Smith ]

Chad Smith was close to a 5 star and one of the most athletic linebackers in his class.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Chad Smith

Nov 13, 2019, 8:24 PM

Was the 15th ranked OLB. And really good yes. https://247sports.com/Player/Chad-Smith-34049/

I have liked his game since he was filling in last season. I can recall a few specific plays against ND and Bama.

***The narrative isn't none of the highly rated players make it though( if that is what you are getting at). Our coaching staff does an amazing job of evaluation. Which is why some less informed fans get all in a tizzy when they choose prospect no name over Johnny 5-star! It's b/c of growth potential and how that player will be used. And that players mental makeup and "ability to retain knowledge"!
Guys who love the game and have to be reeled in as opposed to "have to be motivated" get picked first as well no matter star rating. Simple enough thing; not saying it's a slam dunk; just that you can't bank on a star rating!

Nov 13, 2019, 8:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Shaq Smith ]

Chad Smith was close to a 5 star and one of the most athletic linebackers in his class.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

A good friend of mine is an AD at a HS in the Baltimore area

Nov 13, 2019, 10:15 AM

and told me when we were recruiting him that he thought Shaq was way overrated and wouldn't play at Clemson. I figured the services, which all had him ranked very high, knew what they were talking about and dismissed his opinion as just being because he was at a different school. It appears he was right.

Also have to think he wasn't guaranteed to start this year and that also had something to do with him wanting to get closer to home and the coach at Md who initially recruited him.

Easy to say in hindsight but prolly should have

Nov 13, 2019, 10:17 AM

been moved to DE.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Easy to say in hindsight but prolly should have

Nov 13, 2019, 10:17 AM [ in reply to A good friend of mine is an AD at a HS in the Baltimore area ]

been moved to DE.

Nov 13, 2019, 10:48 AM

I don’t watch 031O State, but I was wondering how Shaq did, considering Md gave up 77 points.

My thinking is that he saw the writing on the wall concerning playing time with us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Same could be said for Tre Lamar

Nov 13, 2019, 12:48 PM

I think he would've benefited greatly from another year at Clemson. He would've been THE guy at LB. Maybe enough to turn himself into a 2nd or 3rd round pick, but he chose to leave early, didn't make an NFL roster and now his opportunity in the NFL is likely over for good.

Shaq's been hurt this season

Nov 13, 2019, 12:52 PM

Which likely speaks to his playing time and productivity.

It's really rather distasteful to read some of the comments about Shaq. He not ONE TIME ever complained or showed his ####...always had a smile on his face and you'd often see him celebrating/supporting his mates. If the young man had an ego, he kept it well hidden. And, to do that, like holding one's 'tongue' seems to be a rarity these days for many.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tre Lamar

Nov 13, 2019, 12:55 PM [ in reply to Same could be said for Tre Lamar ]

I agree.

Another 5 star talent - he actually RS. You have to be careful with the recruiting services evaluation of these guys. Sometimes is it: "they bigger than everyone else; and that's their whole game"? Or are they bigger and "have skills"! It's why our coaching staff has passed on a 5 or 4 star kid for a 3 star. That and attitude and off the field issues. But, as far as playing, are you rated high because you are that skilled or b/c the talent you play against isn't good? Or b/c you know how to leverage your advantage(size/strength) over the competition. Will you have skill enough and be able to play in a environment where: everybody else is just as big/fast/strong as you?

Moral of the story: sometimes you can't just base how good a team is on star ratings!

The only thing that would have benefited Tre was a position

Nov 13, 2019, 2:32 PM [ in reply to Same could be said for Tre Lamar ]

change to DE, another year of college wasn't going to change anything else that kept him off a pro roster

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2019, 7:46 PM

I’ll take our LB corp as is, any day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic