Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Brisket fail...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 282

Brisket fail...

Nov 27, 2020, 9:08 AM

Nursed that thing for 7 hours, almost to 165 inside. Egg was holding steady at 250. Had drip pan with water to even out heat. Just about to take it off to wrap, towel and cooler it.

Took my eye off of it for 10 minutes to help with cooking prep, and she was gone.

Looked down to deck and grill temp was 600 degrees! Apparently the drip pan was on fire inside. Sprayed fire with water, finally pulled meat off but it was way too late.
I still wrapped it and carved later, and was able to salvage some of the insides, but that sucked.

RIP tasty brisket

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

R.I.P. poor brisket

Nov 27, 2020, 9:18 AM

165 is too early to pull imo

You’re lucky you got away with water on what sounds like a grease fire

Better luck next time, at least you had 7 hours of tending the smoker and a story to tell.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

At least it wasn't RIP big green egg ******

Nov 18, 2023, 3:03 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tru dat***

Nov 27, 2020, 9:44 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

The Turkey gods....

Nov 27, 2020, 9:23 AM

Have shamed you.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well that is a big suckor

Nov 27, 2020, 9:28 AM

sorry for your loss.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Several years ago, I was cooking a fresh ham for Easter

Nov 27, 2020, 10:24 AM

on my BGE, and I had stayed up with it all night long. It was just breaking daylight when I took it off and carried it in, from the deck into the house.

I forgot to put the vent lid back on top of the BGE when I closed the lid.

Meanwhile no more than 3 minutes later, I look out onto the deck through the kitchen window, and there is barely visible light blue flame jetting out the top of the BGE about 18 inches. I mean roaring. The ceramic dome is glowing a dull red. There is no telling how hot that was; 20 hours of hot pork fat drippings suddenly gaining access to oxygen and attaining Bessemer furnace status is not something you want to witness on your deck.

I ran out and closed the bottom vent tight, and that slowed it down a lot, and then used a broom handle to set the vent cap back on top, because the BGE was too hot to stand anywhere close to it.

I then began to think about the superheated flammable mixture in the internal environment of the BGE, and realized it was just going to have to cool down in its current state for a couple of hours before it could be opened. Then the lid just cracked with a muffled thump. I thought that I was in some Rube Goldberg fantasy where one thing would be addressed, and then a worse thing would ensue. Fortunately, the lid didn't disintegrate, and it held together well enough to prevent more air from fueling a backyard Chernobyl.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Every man is my superior, in that I may learn something from him."

That is scary stuff...

Nov 27, 2020, 11:48 AM

I went out and investigated this morning, think I got lucky.
My bottom grate/vent is toast. I think the felt is toast. My coals basket is done.
I dont think there are any cracks however

Replies: 7
| visibility 282
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic