Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Despite concerns, ACC commish says proposed compensation for athletes 'the right move'
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

TNET: Despite concerns, ACC commish says proposed compensation for athletes 'the right move'

Apr 29, 2020, 9:46 PM

Despite concerns, ACC commish says proposed compensation for athletes 'the right move'

There are a number of unknowns surrounding college athletics at the moment -- and thrown in that mix is the announcement Wednesday that the NCAA is moving forwa Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This would be a very bad thing for college sports...

Apr 29, 2020, 10:34 PM

... because it turns the focus from “TEAM” ... to “ME”, which is not what I believe college sports should be about. (I’m a former Clemson athlete)

Once you let that genie out of the bottle, there’s no going back.

I think paying college athletes will destroy the integrity of the experience, and will severely erode the fan base ... even at the schools that currently have the strongest fan bases.

Re: This would be a very bad thing for college sports...

Apr 30, 2020, 8:02 AM

Agree. This will ruin college athletics. It will 100% be “me focused” now.

Sad day....

Selfishly I want college football to remain unchanged

Apr 30, 2020, 8:33 AM

but I don't know how you can look at the current state of the sport and say these players are amateurs. There's absolutely nothing amateur about CFB except for the players.

Our players practice in a $10 million indoor practice facility. They play for a head coach that makes almost that much per year. They meet in a $55 million football ops center. They play in a 80,000 seat stadium that would cost god-knows-how-much to build now and which was also recently approved for a $70 million makeover. The fans in that stadium give millions of dollars per year to see them play. Their conference gets $240 million per year from ESPN for the rights to broadcast league games - a lot of which football, specifically, is responsible for.

All that money and the players get tuition and a closet full of athletic gear. And yes that's certainly not nothing, but it's also nowhere near what a lot of these guys are worth to the schools they play for.

I too am worried about how this system will be implemented and i do fear that schools like Ohio State, Texas, and Alabama will gain an unfair advantage due to huge fan bases willing to pony up a lot of money, but i can also acknowledge that this is something that HAS to happen eventually, and i am still hopeful that they can come up with a solution that allows these guys to make some money without completely ruining the sport.

And, lets be perfectly honest there, a lot of these kids are getting paid anyway. I don't know how much, and i don't know if paying the kids legally will help reduce the illegal payments, but it is happening all across CFB. That's what happens when governing bodies get in the way of a free market - a black market arises in it's place. Prohibition, drugs, prostitution etc. It happens whether it's legal or not, and it's much, much shadier when it's illegal.

Re: Selfishly I want college football to remain unchanged

Apr 30, 2020, 8:53 AM

Well said.

There was a lot of money in the sport 20 years ago, but nothing compared what's going on these days. Back in 2002, Alabama hired Mike Price on a 7 year 10-million dollar contract. Now as you said, coaches are getting that per year.

It's just not fair to keep the old system in today's climate.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

I agree, and you didn't even touch on the amount of

Apr 30, 2020, 11:00 AM [ in reply to Selfishly I want college football to remain unchanged ]

money apparel companies make off of the unpaid athletes. I mean, look at all the trashy jerseys that are worn by grown men attending fighting nut necklace games, and classy Clemson polos our fans wear. How much money did the average Clemson fan spend on national championship gear following our wins in 2016 and 2018 with those apparel companies cashing in on the hard work of our unpaid athletes? I know I spent a lot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

They are compensated and suggesting they're not is a lie.***

Apr 30, 2020, 1:35 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They are compensated. Some athletes are compensated

Apr 30, 2020, 1:59 PM

with a scholarship, room and board, etc.

Some are probably over-compensated when you look at it that way. Some are under-compensated. I would say there are a lot of D1 football players that are not fairly compensated. Why shouldn't players be allowed to be paid for their likeness or to endorse a product? There are plenty of college students on a free ride that are not athletes that can cash in on their likeness, endorsing products, free to be social media influencers...why can't athletes?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

So they are not unpaid, got it. They are all highly...

Apr 30, 2020, 2:04 PM

compensated and are all way over compensated for having a GED/HS level education.

There are rules in everything, it's their choice, 100 PERCENT their choice, to participate or not.

Good luck to them all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ok yes, we can get into a semantics debate

Apr 30, 2020, 2:43 PM

They are compensated by the school by way of scholarships. They are not paid money or given other compensation for their likeness.

If a player like Trevor Lawrence could make $1M in endorsements, why should he not be allowed to do so? If that is his value today, then he should be able to capitalize on that. There's a chance he may never get drafted and make $1 playing professional football. I think it's ridiculous that he can't capitalize on his current value without giving up college football.

They are paid money, including stipends. The money for

Apr 30, 2020, 2:55 PM

scholarships is given by IPTAY, so taxation is avoided. Makes no sense to do it any other way, and then there are the other soft & hard costs that are paid as well by the university et al.

If Trevor Lawrence can go make 1 million dollars, then he should do so while waiting for his shot at the Pros in 3 years if that's in the cards? No one said he can't do so.

If that's what he chooses instead of college football and all a student-athlete earns for participation, then all the best to him. I look forward to him taking that 247 composite 5 star rating to Pert and earn that million. Good luck to him.

Why should it have to be either or, why not do both?***

Apr 30, 2020, 3:02 PM

Many reasons, the easiest is they are amateur athletes.

Apr 30, 2020, 3:32 PM

They agree to accept tuition, room & board, meal plans, stipends, Travel & Entertainment, Vickery Hall, Tutoring, Paw Journey, highly trained Nutritional, Medical & Training support plus all other in lieu of their participation & all it entails.

Way overpaid to participate in the 3-5 most enjoyable years of a young persons life and if they want to do different or feel they can do better, take that HS Diploma on down the road.

It's America, a world of choices out there, not everyone is for everybody.

of Course swoffy is ok with paying players

Apr 30, 2020, 9:02 AM

Uncheat has been doing it for decades

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Despite concerns, ACC commish says proposed compensation for athletes 'the right move'

Apr 30, 2020, 9:38 AM

There will be many problems it’s this. Here come the “ agents” and the “ handlers” to mess up things.

Re: TNET: Despite concerns, ACC commish says proposed compensation for athletes 'the right move'

Apr 30, 2020, 2:46 PM

ACC Commish

Have you appointed someone to meet with the players union yet?

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 30, 2020, 6:06 PM

USC (the real one) and UCLA are about to be the new kings of College football.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic