Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Seems to me the Big12 got it right with NO DIVISIONS
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Seems to me the Big12 got it right with NO DIVISIONS

Dec 23, 2020, 2:18 AM

Wish the ACC would be one league, top 2 play for conference champ.
This division stuff sucks for how often we play Coastal schools AND the ACCCG suffers.

Drop the divisions. Who didn't prefer this year's set up?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Seems to me the Big12 got it right with NO DIVISIONS

Dec 23, 2020, 6:53 AM

I agree but if I remember correctly 2 divisions were originally required by NCAA in order to have a championship game.

Big12 broke that so now makes more sense I think for everyone to pick the best 2. Much better games for all conferences since it seems they all have one weaker division

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Will that really produce "better" games?

Dec 23, 2020, 7:06 AM

I like the idea of playing the top 2 teams in the conference as the ACC did this year.

However, did it really produce a "better" game?

As a Clemson fan, I'm glad to get the 24-point victory to send nd out of the ACC.

BUT for the nonpartisan fan, they didn't actually get the competitive game they wanted.

If I remember correctly, I believe our game against the tar holes (fake class university) a few years ago produced a much more exciting game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are correct. The game wasn’t necessarily

Dec 23, 2020, 7:20 AM

Better, but it did put the conference in a position to get 2 teams in. If A&M had beaten Alabama or at least played Bama tighter than ND played us they would have been in. Also, if every conference did it this way it would become the de facto first round of the playoff. The downside is that it would almost assuredly block out the group of 5 schools.

It produced the most competitive game you were going to get

Dec 23, 2020, 8:01 AM [ in reply to Will that really produce "better" games? ]

from two teams in the ACC this year. The addition of ND and the new format did not change the fact that Clemson is still by light years the best team in the ACC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Seems to me the Big12 got it right with NO DIVISIONS

Dec 23, 2020, 8:00 AM

They really didn't have much choice but to do it that way. They snuffed from the playoffs and they attributed it to not having a championship game. Since the league only has 10 teams and they play 9 conference games it only made since to do it that way.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I get the feeling the ACC will give a good hard look

Dec 23, 2020, 8:06 AM

at eliminating divisions in the future. COVID was a perfect opportunity for them to run the concept up the flagpole to see how they, the schools, and the fans liked it. I think they will find that it has been a positive change. They need to tweak it to preserve some of the rivalries--for example I really didn't like that we didn't get to humiliate NCSU again this year--but overall I get the feeling they'll keep with the one-division model, possibly in concert with the "pod" idea that's been in circulation for years.

It's difficult to do that in a 14 team league while only

Dec 23, 2020, 8:07 AM

playing 8 league games. Only playing 8 of the other 13 teams wouldn't be great. I think there would be too many tie-breakers involving teams that didn't play each other.

Re: It's difficult to do that in a 14 team league while only

Dec 23, 2020, 8:36 AM

Yes many schedules would really not balance and I for one have no desire to add extra conference games. I hope the ACC and SEC stay at 8. I can just see Georgia on a future schedule being replaced by a game with Duke. How boring would the schedules be from year to year without the variety of non conference games. Easier for Big 12 because they only have 9 schools.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic