Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Taggert buyout?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Taggert buyout?

Nov 4, 2019, 10:10 AM

I hear it's $18.5M, but is it a lump sum payout? Or paid out pro-rata over the original contract terms/years? And if he is hired somewhere else does that school pay some or all of it back to FSU?

Because, lordy, that's a big chunk of $$!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Taggert buyout?

Nov 4, 2019, 10:13 AM

I believe he will be available for immediate hire and the new school would not have to pay FSU any monies. He was fired and did not quit. I believe that is the difference.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Men at 25 play football. Men at 40 play tennis. Men at 60 play golf. Have you noticed as men get older their balls get smaller.

No that’s the number for FSU buying out his contract

Nov 4, 2019, 10:18 AM

Not another school hiring him. FSU will owe him ~$18m over several years to not coach (just like Butch Jones/any other coach fired early)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hopefully he is smart enough to make them pay the entire

Nov 4, 2019, 10:14 AM

amount, regardless. They are reneging on a contract they approved that is not even two years old, so I have no pity for them.

If I were him, or any coach in that situation, I would get the payments stretched out over several years, to lessen the tax hit. However he does it, do not weep for him, he be rich.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 4, 2019, 10:16 AM

Private donors raised $20 million per press reports. School won't have to come up with anything.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same thing as IPTAY buying out a coach that doesn’t work out

Nov 4, 2019, 10:20 AM

The money is still coming from somewhere within the “program” just not from the actual university in this case. Still a big hit to their available football funds especially when you factor in they still have to go out and pay a good coach to come there and potentially buy out his contract from whatever school he’s at.

There are unconfirmed rumors...

Nov 4, 2019, 10:24 AM

that Florida State has received more than enough in private donations to cover Taggart’s buyout.

By the times it's all said and done, the decision to hire and fire Taggart will cost FSU upwards of $20 million.

When FSU hired Taggart away from Oregon, they agreed to pay out his $3 million buyout to end his contract with the Ducks.

Florida State also agreed to pay out an additional $1.3 million that Oregon still owed South Florida when they hired him away from that school in 2016.

So, in the end, FSU will have paid over $20 million, across three buyouts, so that Taggart could go 9-12 at FSU in 21 games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Nov 4, 2019, 10:31 AM

It is not a lump sum, it's paid out over the 3 remaining years. It's also offset, so if he gets a coordinator job (like he will), the amount of his new contract will be deducted from the amount he is owed from FSU. For example, if he coordinator gig pays $500,000/yr, then that's 1.5 total million less FSU pays him.

Nov 4, 2019, 10:34 AM

Taggart, I believe, would only be hired as an assistant anywhere. Doubt he searches too hard.

If I’m him

Nov 4, 2019, 10:36 AM

I take an analyst job somewhere like Butch Jones at Bama and get all my $18 mil from FSU while not doing a lot of work but learning from an experienced HC

Nov 4, 2019, 10:47 AM [ in reply to Re: Taggert buyout? ]

Just do like Arkansas did with the Danny Ford deal . Hire him as a advisor, let him run the show and make him HC after his contract with Clemson expired .

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 4, 2019, 1:59 PM

Thanks for the replys

the lawyers will get paid a couple million to negotiate***

Nov 4, 2019, 2:01 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic