Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
City planners, homeowners beware
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 444

City planners, homeowners beware

Dec 14, 2020, 6:38 AM

Since 1992 Mt Pleasant, the state's 4th largest city, lost over 20% of the tree cover due to development and the Charleston metro area lost over 5% that is over 10,000 acres of trees. Combine that with rising sea levels and you are left with flooding neighborhoods with no cheap fix in sight. Just my opinion but I hate it when a developer takes down a tract of land to build a new neighborhood and the first thing they do is clear cut it. Sure they can plant new young trees but who wants to wait 20 years for them to grow some height. I would never want to live in a place with no mature trees. So many identifying traits of an area are its trees. Right after Hugo I drove from Charleston to Sumter check on my parents. So many of the trees surrounding the house were blown down that I actually drove by the house without even recognizing it and this was the house I had lived in since I was 5 years old thru college. Clear cutting is taking place all over our state everyday. A large oak tree can easily drink over 75 gallons of water each day (over 27,000 gallons per year). Also shade from trees keep your yard, roof and house much cooler in the summertime. Fact, sea levels are rising. Fact, flood events in our state are increasing. The easiest and cheapest way to combat these trends are to keep as many trees as possible. If you are going to build a new home insist that they remove only a few trees.

https://www.postandcourier.com/rising-waters/charleston-area-lost-more-than-10-000-acres-of-tree-cover-since-1992-making-floods/article_a202a744-f83a-11ea-a446-935c0f524f47.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: City planners, homeowners beware

Dec 14, 2020, 6:48 AM

Developers rape the land to put in subdivisions. My cousin just sold his 100 acre farm. The developer removed every tree!! Did not leave a single tree! Also, flattened the land like a pancake. That western NC farm looks like Kansas now.

Same kind of thing happening where I am

Dec 14, 2020, 11:18 AM

Kids selling large tracts of long time family land. I can completely understand the allure of the money...but honestly, I would rather have the land. Most of those selling land around here always knew they would get that money someday so they made very little effort to better themselves through education or secure enough income so that maybe they wouldn’t have to sell the land. Extremely short-sighted and disappointing IMO. And if you can’t tell, I loathe developers, especially those who rape the land as you describe.

Dec 14, 2020, 7:23 AM

What? Mt Pleasant is the most liberal part of the area, how could they be ruining the environment? Anyway, if you build in a flood zone, you’re an idiot.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I could not agree more...

Dec 14, 2020, 8:00 AM

I live in a tree save county in metro Atlanta and my neighbor just clear cut his 2 acre lot. When it started, I talked to him and said ### you doing? He said no one can stop him. I called the county and they said they just don't care any more.

My entire area is old growth trees, but more and more homeowners are clearing their lots. It's terrible.

So let me get this straight. You want to keep your neighbor

Dec 14, 2020, 9:03 AM

from cutting down trees on his own property. I'm guessing there was once a tree growing right where your house is located.

Most places that are not in the boonies have

1. Watershed requirements, if the land is in a watershed. This limits the built-upon area of land in a watershed. It can be as low a 6% in a critical area to 24% in the least critical area.
2. Stormwater requirements that require pre and post development be the same. This means that there should be no additional flooding as a result of the construction.
3. Some sort of landscape requirements, for sure for commercial.

Single family lots are usually exempt except for erosion control measures.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2020, 8:42 AM

Unfortunately, flat land developers build far more homes than individuals who might actually care about their land. Most people don't have their homes built - they buy some prefab crap that was cost efficient for the developer.

The can sell a house cheaper than you can build the

Dec 14, 2020, 9:04 AM

exact same house.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My name is the Lorax, I speak for the trees!***

Dec 14, 2020, 3:34 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The article talks about building in wetlands

Dec 14, 2020, 9:07 AM

if you destroy wetlands you have to build more wetlands else where to the tune of 2 to 4 times as much depending on the amount and reason.

Re: The article talks about building in wetlands

Dec 14, 2020, 10:01 AM

Fact is Mt Pleasant has lost 20% of its tree canopy since 1992. I find that alarming.

It's required to clear cut for development construction.

Dec 14, 2020, 9:18 AM

The amount of damage the trees would sustain during construction would kill most of them, resulting in large dying trees around brand new homes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: It's required to clear cut for development construction.

Dec 14, 2020, 10:01 AM

Fact is Mt Pleasant has lost 20% of its tree canopy since 1992. I find that alarming.

Dec 14, 2020, 11:23 AM

Replies: 13
| visibility 444
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic