Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SECN
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,614

SECN

Aug 15, 2014, 7:46 PM

Anyone predicting or hoping for it's demise, remember that the ACCN will be in negotiations soon for their contracts and money, if the SECN fails to produce, it will impact the ACCN negotiations big time. Hard for some to understand or grasp, but what is good for one in CFB is good for all. Think on that.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SECN

Aug 15, 2014, 7:59 PM

I'm not sure I understand how it can fail. Service providers are including it in packages, like other conference networks. So subscribers are paying regardless of whether they watch or not. There are a ton of networks that would have long been gone if not included in a package. Its here to stay so I wish folks would stop bi+ching about it. Everyone in the state of Alabama will be drueling over it 24/7.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it's just CSS with nicer studios, but I'll take it over

Aug 15, 2014, 8:06 PM

about 100 other channels I get and pay for every month. I looked at the SEC programming schedule for the next 6-7 days. About 30 Bama/Auburn/UGA/FLA games. Schools like Vandy, Miss St, Arky and SCAR will see about 2% total coverage where schools like Bama and LSU will get 20% each.

There should be some law that for every channel that cable/satellite adds, they must allow the customer the option to delete a corresponding amount.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2014, 8:12 PM

reports I've seen are that the ACC network, if there ever is one, will be digital only, ala espn 3, with no rights fees. Thus, the success of the SECN will have no impact on the ACC.

Personally, i doubt there will ever be an ACC network. Thats why imo some in the acc are starting to talk about Raycom as the national ACC network.

Aug 15, 2014, 8:29 PM

> reports I've seen are that the ACC network, if there
> ever is one, will be digital only, ala espn 3, with
> no rights fees. Thus, the success of the SECN will
> have no impact on the ACC.
>
> Personally, i doubt there will ever be an ACC
> network. Thats why imo some in the acc are starting
> to talk about Raycom as the national ACC network.

Not true. When the ACCN begins negotiations with providers next year, they will have had a year to see the dollar value of their investment in the SECN, and if that is less than hoped for, then the ACCN will be up against a hard sell for max dollars, which the SECN received. Not too hard to grasp, spin it anyway you want, but here is a case where if one does well the other will also, same is true in the opposite scenario.

ACC has a totally different dynamic to offer

Aug 15, 2014, 8:56 PM

they have Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, Duke BASKETBALL fans. Rabid ones. Most SEC fans could care less about watching basketball outside their own team. Have you ever even watched an Auburn-UGA basketball game? I know I haven't.

Basketball plays 30+ games a season, nearly 3 times as many as football. Much more desirable content. With a footprint up North where basketball matters. And ACC has minor sports like soccer, lacrosse, and even hockey that while we don't care much for it, it appeals to that area. Where the bulk of the USA population resides. NY, Mass, Penn. Plus, those are sports Notre Dame competes in (national following). Duke, UNC, ND are NATIONAL brands in hoops, like Bama is in football.

It will be interesting how this plays out. ACC really does have alot to offer, in other things than football.

I imagine the ACC Network to be something that Clemson fans don't care much for, because it will be 50% basketball, 25% football, and 25% other sports.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Alpha your just wrong about The ACC

Aug 15, 2014, 8:44 PM [ in reply to Re: SECN ]

stick to the SEC. The ACC will have a network they just have to work out the buy back of content from Raycom before moving forward with the network. The SEC had to do the samething the difference being ACC basketball. Raycom has been broadcasting ACC basketball for many years and this is very lucrative for them unlike SEC basketball.

Live football is just a very small % of the yearly content on a conference network. The ACC can provide a large amount of quality content with it's other sports besides football and the ACC has several national brands that will get the network pickup nationwide. Notre Dame, North Carolina, and Duke will carry push the network nationwide and if you don't think so just checkout the NCAA licensing revenue.

For me I have the sports package and get the Big 10 network and the SEC network. I don't watch the Big 10 network and the only time I will watch the SEC network is to watch Texas A&M hang fifty on that weak coot defense.

Re: Alpha your just wrong about The ACC

Aug 15, 2014, 9:59 PM

SEC schools owned their 3rd tier so the SECN didn't have to buy the rights like the ACC will. The SEC only had to make some concessions to CBS to be able to televise games during their exclusive window. ESPN had all of the other rights. If the ACC tries to go w/ anybody but ABC/ESPN, they will have to pay for 100% of the inventory. So ABC/ESPN has more leverage against the ACC. I think the ACC is a couple years away from having something because they need to secure the partner before they can start developing the network. And if it's ABC/ESPN, they may want to digest their investments into the LHN and SECN before starting another project. & the ACC will be different because it's not homogenous like the SEC w/ football in the South. We've got do a lot w/ basketball and cover fans from Miami to Syracuse to Louisville, which are different audiences.

Aug 15, 2014, 10:35 PM

ESPN gets 50% of the revenue from the SEC NETWORK that's a big chunk. Football makes up very small % of the yearly content remember it's 24/7, 365, 40 live games is 120 hours of content out of 8,760. Live football isn't paying the bills on this network it's just not possible. Outside of two early games they'll draw less than five million viewers for the other 38 games. You need other sports content.

Interesting...you mean it's going to be like the B1G Channel

Aug 15, 2014, 11:01 PM

Where they show wrestling, softball, baseball, tennis, and all the other sports people don't really watch?!

Who would've ever predicted that? :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Aug 16, 2014, 12:37 AM [ in reply to Re: Alpha your just wrong about The ACC ]

You guys realize that football generates all the revenue right? It's like saying baseball is going to drive the network because it has more games. Football games are pulling a 4-5 rating on big games every weekend. Big games are pulling an 8+.

Last year in the regular season for basketball had 2 games pull a 2 rating. Duke/UNC was a 1.5.

The best thing for the ACC is if Clemson, Va Teach, Miami and Florida St. start becoming top 10 teams consistently. Those are teams that people would pay attention to if they win.

If basketball was so great the Big East wouldn't have gone under.

You need to add them up and multiply,...smooth. XFacts.***

Aug 16, 2014, 1:20 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 16, 2014, 7:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Alpha your just wrong about The ACC ]

the SEC can get 10 months out of football with actual season, preseason, recruiting, spring practice and replays, whereas the ACC (as a whole) can't do that. Billy in upstate NY may watch a few 'Cuse games, especially basketball, but he's probably more loyal to the Jets, Giants or Bills. Same for Chuckie in Chestnut Hills. so when the ACC negotiates, they probably won't get $1.40 per tv in NY or Massachusetts like the SEC gets in all their states. We still may make it up because we have more people, but my point is we won't necessarily make more money just because the SEC did.

Aug 16, 2014, 8:19 AM [ in reply to Re: Alpha your just wrong about The ACC ]

> ESPN gets 50% of the revenue from the SEC NETWORK
> that's a big chunk. Football makes up very small %
> of the yearly content remember it's 24/7, 365, 40
> live games is 120 hours of content out of 8,760. Live
> football isn't paying the bills on this network it's
> just not possible. Outside of two early games
> they'll draw less than five million viewers for the
> other 38 games. You need other sports content.

Rhett - you're missing the source of revenue for the SECN. The content is not "what drives revenue". The content on the SECN was already known before ESPN got every cable and satellite provider to include it......the content is football and a bunch of other sports only a few people will watch.

So the content was known going in and the providers still agreed to carry it at $1.40 per month per cable box. The revenue comes from the monthly cable bill, not advertising. The content will drive advertising revenue but advertising revenue is only expected to cover some operating costs from what I've read. Obviously, football games will have the highest ad rates and Olympic sports will likely have ads for local shoe repair and pay almost nothing, but the SEC and ESPN expect that and aren't sweating it because that $1.40 per month is coming in no matter what.

When the ACC gets ready to launch a network it seems the most important factor is the initial phase and getting the network signed on to as many providers as possible at the highest rate as possible. It looks like the SEC learned lessons from the BIG Ten network, LHN, the NFL network, etc. and hit a home run with their launch. We'll see if Swoffie can pull off a similar feat with his ACCN launch.

But don't expect the major revenue from ACCN to come from ad revenue just because the ACC has a better overall Olympic sport family than the SEC.....the revenue comes from the monthly fees.

If Raycom was a horse, I would shoot it to put it out of

Aug 15, 2014, 10:05 PM [ in reply to Alpha your just wrong about The ACC ]

it's misery.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,614
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic