Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SEC Bias
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

SEC Bias

Nov 27, 2019, 12:25 PM

So, here are some numbers for an SEC team that is ranked #4 and all the rave of the media:

Five games decided by a touchdown or less
One loss to a bad team, AT HOME
Beat Texas A&M by 6 at home.
Had one other home game they only won by 7.
Only had one win over a division 1 team by 30 or more points
Has allowed 13 or more points seven times

Here are comparable numbers by Clemson, ranked #3 and put down by all media:

One game decided by a touchdown or less, and it was a road game
No losses
Beat Texas A&M by 14 at home
Has 6 games won by over 30 points
Has allowed 13 or more points 4 times.

Many more comparisons that favor Clemson, but you get the idea.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SEC Bias

Nov 27, 2019, 12:57 PM

We’re gonna play the games. It’s gobsmacking season.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 27, 2019, 1:33 PM

Yes!!! Bring your own gobsmackers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

their defense inst that bad though

Nov 27, 2019, 1:01 PM

there are only two teams to allow no more than 20 points in a game all season..us and uga

Nov 27, 2019, 1:20 PM

Georgia will get killed by any of the top 3. Not even close and they should not even be in the discussion period losing to the lowly coots. SEC Bias at its finest!

Nov 27, 2019, 1:45 PM

UGA is a top 15-20 range team IMO.

They won’t make the playoffs and will be exposed in their bowl game but then they’ll be right back in the top 10 next season to start off.

It’s wash, rinse, repeat with these SEC teams.

Nov 27, 2019, 2:48 PM

I think the pro-GA bias is more than just the normal SEC bias.

I think it is the reliability of a ground-pounding offense, combined with the stout defense and special teams Kirby's teams always have; and respect for the UGA schedule that always plays Auburn and Ga Tech outside of their little sisters in the East.

That's why GA is a constant Top 12 team until they prove they're not.

They are WIS with more speed, better competition, a cool kicker, and no snow.

Nov 27, 2019, 4:50 PM

So you say the media has been putting down Clemson, and you're comparing resumes as if Georgia is ranked ahead of Clemson or something, but in reality Clemson is ranked ahead of Georgia. Who has been putting down Clemson exactly? The only knock against us other than the UNC game earlier in the year has been our schedule. I haven't seen anyone in the media claiming that Georgia is better than Clemson.

I don't like Georgia, but I don't get all the hate over their ranking. I think they're clearly on a level behind Clemson, Ohio State, and LSU this year, but so is every other team. 3 of the 5 games you mentioned of them being decided by a touchdown or less have been wins over top 15 teams. I suppose you could argue that those 3 teams were overrated, but what team ranked behind them has a resume that is more impressive and deserving of being ranked ahead of Georgia? Again, I don't think Clemson would have any trouble beating Georgia, but I also haven't seen anyone claiming that they would.

Nov 27, 2019, 4:58 PM

I also find it funny that you used 13 as a reference for showing that Clemson has given up 13 or more points 4 times compared to 7 times for Georgia due to Georgia giving up 14 points twice, and giving up 17 3 other times.

That's a good example of how stats can easily be twisted to support whatever side a person wishes. Someone could just as easily say that Clemson has given up 1 or more points in all 11 games when Georgia has only done that 8 times considering they've had 3 opponents scoreless.

Again, I think Clemson would beat Georgia by double digits due to the lack of offense from Georgia, but if you're hearing "the media raving over Georgia" and putting down Clemson then you're hearing what you want to hear. Which team were the guys on the rankings show this past week saying that LSU and Ohio State would want to avoid in the 1st round? That would be Clemson. What team were the guys on the same show saying had trouble scoring on offense? That would be Georgia.

Nov 28, 2019, 9:23 PM

The knock on Clemson has been its UNC close win on the road. That is the win that moved them to #5. Thus it is ranked the lowest of the unbeatens. While Georgia had a terrible loss at home. Yet it is rated the highest of one loss teams. That simple stat alone proves bias in favor of Georgia. Then some have used the schedule for another knock on Clemson. So I gave stats to show what Clemson did with its schedule and what Georgia did with its schedule. Considering the Texas A&M games, Clemson should not be knocked for their results. I am sorry if you did not like the cutoff point I used, but I was going for two touchdown difference, so really should have used 12 points. If I decided to go with all of the extra points, then I could use 14 points. It really does not matter, as the point of "what you did with your schedule" was proven that Clemson has done better than Georgia.

The point of the post was the bias in favor of Georgia, not a decision on which team was better. I did pick stats, but did not "twist" anything. It was all true.

As far as the media putting down Clemson, We went from #1 to #5 without ever losing a game....that has never happened before to a pre-season #1 program. Why did that happen? Because the media was putting Clemson down because of the turnovers and the one point win on the road. There is absolutely no denying that. We are still not back to number one, so that bias is still there.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic