Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SC "Save Women's Sports Act"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

SC "Save Women's Sports Act"

Feb 23, 2021, 12:07 PM

COLUMBIA, S.C. (WIS) - A bill that would ban transgender women from playing on women’s sports teams is set to be debated in the House Judiciary subcommittee Tuesday. The “Save Women’s Sports Act” or H3477 would make it state law that only people born with female anatomy can play on a women’s middle or high school-level sports team.

Rep. Ashley Trantham, R-Greenville, who is the primary sponsor of the bill said trans women competing on a woman’s team would be, “absolutely taking opportunities away from women.”

While an opponent of this bill, Campaign for Southern Equality Community Director Ivy Hill called it, 'dehumanizing.' “You’re telling them that they’re not really a woman even though they are. And your body changes when you transition. Those things...they change your muscle mass and all of that. We know that trans youth are already at a greater risk for suicide, depression and anxiety."

General Take Away: Ivy Hill is an idiot, and transgenderism is a mental illness.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let's baseline a little here.

Feb 23, 2021, 12:09 PM

Is homosexuality a mental illness, in your opinion?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let's baseline a little here.

Feb 23, 2021, 12:11 PM

No, as it doesn't require denying long established biological facts.

Re: SC "Save Women's Sports Act"

Feb 23, 2021, 12:45 PM

In bicycle racing, we have attempted to stop performance enhancing doping by establishing what normal levels are for the things that actually enhance performance - namely hematocrit levels. If you test above 50%$ hematocrit level, you cannot compete, period.

Could we not scientifically establish what the differences between males and females are that allow for different performance levels and make our delineations based on that rather than gender ID ? If you are really just concerned about athletics being fair, let the delineations be based on things that impact athletic performance. And leave a kid's identity out of it.

One last thing, who might suffer the more lasting negative consequences, a kid who is told that she is NOT a female despite her self-identity, or a kid who does not make the team ??

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but

Feb 23, 2021, 12:50 PM

this would involve blood work correct?

It is already a litigation minefield to drug test athletes. It would be George Sink's wet dream to require an athlete undergo blood tests for a >2% subsect of the student population.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

this relates straight back to blood doping

Feb 23, 2021, 12:54 PM [ in reply to Re: SC "Save Women's Sports Act" ]

and the health of the athlete. You are wrong and thus your statement is invalid and will be mocked by me for a while.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: this relates straight back to blood doping

Feb 23, 2021, 1:00 PM

please, go on . . .

what do you want to know on the subject

Feb 23, 2021, 1:35 PM

I spent many years on the pro cycling circuit (not a rider) for work. What would you like to know?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: what do you want to know on the subject

Feb 23, 2021, 2:26 PM

I spent many years on the circuit as a rider. Do you not think that things have gotten better in the last 10 - 15 years ??

And BTW, I think my point about gender still stands, regardless of your answer.

Feb 23, 2021, 3:32 PM

lol just

Feb 23, 2021, 10:14 PM

manac,

So no intelligent response - why am I not surprised.

The chirping about testing is a red herring. The purpose

Feb 23, 2021, 1:02 PM [ in reply to this relates straight back to blood doping ]

of the law is to stop males identifying as female from competing against women. Sure, if you've got 1000 people a year wanting to push the envelope, you might have some issues. But basically you're stopping men from trying to compete as women, and yes this will stop it. An outlier per year is not the issue.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

but they aren't men

Feb 24, 2021, 6:13 AM

they are either transgender, gender neutral, non-binary, agender, pangender, genderqueer, two-spirit, third gender or some other gender and most identify with women and therefor want to compete against women because the competition is easier.

Remember this girl from the '70s?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 23, 2021, 2:29 PM [ in reply to Re: SC "Save Women's Sports Act" ]

So your concern is long term consequences? The girl with a ##### will suffer long term consequences if she can't play on the girls' basketball team? All the baggage this person is carrying and sports are what will scar them?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 23, 2021, 3:23 PM

No dawg - telling them they are really NOT a girl is what damages them.

Feb 23, 2021, 3:32 PM

If someone thinks they are another species, would it be damaging to tell them they are not?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 23, 2021, 3:45 PM [ in reply to Re: SC "Save Women's Sports Act" ]

Does this apply to areas other than gender? If I identified as an age that allowed me to retire with full social security benefits, no matter my actual age, should that allow me those benefits?

Interesting take... Unfortunately, I'm already there, sorta.***

Feb 23, 2021, 10:20 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tobiass has got to be a mega-troll

Feb 23, 2021, 7:41 PM [ in reply to Re: SC "Save Women's Sports Act" ]

No one could intentionally be that stupid....

Re: Tobiass has got to be a mega-troll

Feb 23, 2021, 10:22 PM

Bengal, P6, Dawg

Do any of y'all actually know anyone who would rather identify as a gender other than the one their "equipment" implies.

Our society has attached a number of personal characteristics that do not always fit everyone that has that "equipment". A few humans do not feel comfortable with those defining characteristics.

I personally don't quite understand it all, but having dealt with a few students going through the difficulties associated with this misclassification, I will tell you they are human beings and their predicament is genuine. Perhaps if you really knew someone in this position it might elicit some human empathy and concern.

Feb 23, 2021, 10:30 PM

You still didn't answer my question.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 24, 2021, 6:12 AM [ in reply to Re: Tobiass has got to be a mega-troll ]

I don't know of anyone who is "built" one way but thinks he (or she) is the other. That's part of the issue here. I would imagine the number of people who think that way, as compared to the entire population, is statistically insignificant. Yet, we are all expected to go along with boys on girls' teams, biological men using womens' restrooms and on and on. To dare to ask questions about it makes you a phobic of some variety.

I'm not asking you to explain it. You can't nor can I. I'm not trying to be heartless towards anyone who has this issue going on in life. My question really is about how the rest of us should be required to respond. It's a straightforward question. If a person can think they are a gender other than what biology has forever suggested, can they also think, and be treated, as though they are a different age or race? Why should "identity" be limited to gender?

Feb 24, 2021, 9:16 AM

Dawg

As you said, I (& you) don't know the answers to all of this. I DO take your questions seriously (although there are some here I do not).

As far as age is concerned, I am not sure how one gets boxed in on age. I know that I do not accept the limits often imposed on someone my age. If one refuses to share one's age, then people are sort of forced to deal with the reality of their actions - instead of some set of presumptions about any certain age.

Race is a more difficult question - and opens up a whole lot of doors to prejudices and misconceptions.

All I know is that I have seen teenagers being hurt by these binary gender choices and I empathize with them. They do not comprise a statistically significant portion of the population, but even if it was 1/10th of 1% that would still be 3.5 million people. Surely we could make a little room for them to find their own way forward.

Everyone is concerned about sports, but I am far more concerned about how these young people might be able to become healthy, happy adults. Maybe if we were ALL humans first and labels later, we could ALL allow each other the space needed to get along with less friction.

Feb 24, 2021, 10:33 AM

Tobiass, you're a decent guy and I'm sure you've dealt with this issue in a way I have not and I respect that. It seems like five minutes ago questions about who is male or female weren't questions at all. Suddenly society is expected to accept and accommodate biological males who say they are not. This isn't going to happen without complications and serious questions having to be answered. (Not that I expect or demand you have those answers.)

Once we go the road of allowing people to identify gender with how they feel, it begs questions about what else do we have to accept because someone "feels" it. There are tangible affects resulting from all this. When we allow biological males to compete as girls, biological girls are impacted negatively. What about their feelings? What about the financial implications of someone identifying as a female or minority to gain an advantage in college admissions or a small business loan? What about the affects on those groups?

There has to be some balance between humanely dealing with someone being biologically one sex but feeling they are the other and affects on the rest of society.

Feb 24, 2021, 6:57 PM

Dawg

Agree, and as long as we can talk about it with some compassion and consideration, I think we will ALL be alright.

Good. Men should not beat up on women.***

Feb 23, 2021, 12:54 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 23, 2021, 1:02 PM

coot,

I think your small and closed mindedness is a mental illness.

Feb 23, 2021, 1:31 PM

Toby, it's a free country. Think as you do and so will I.

Feb 23, 2021, 2:27 PM

Is it free for transgender people as well ??

Feb 23, 2021, 3:12 PM

Sure. Just as it is for people with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder.

Feb 23, 2021, 3:21 PM

Sorry, I just didn't know you had advanced degrees in psychology. My bad.

Feb 23, 2021, 3:27 PM

Common sense doesn't require a doctorate in psychology.

Feb 23, 2021, 10:11 PM

Common sense is often neither.

Feb 23, 2021, 3:27 PM [ in reply to Re: SC "Save Women's Sports Act" ]

Is it free for women who want to compete against other 100% women?

Jw where we go with all of this.

I think this is one issue where I'm not liberal enough. I'm probably closed minded on this. But, a man is usually stronger, faster, etc than a woman.

Even my gay brother thinks some of this crap goes too far.

Feb 23, 2021, 5:43 PM

From the American Psychological Association:

"A psychological state is considered a mental disorder only if it causes significant distress or disability. Many transgender people do not experience their gender as distressing or disabling, which implies that identifying as transgender does not constitute a mental disorder."

If you're interested in getting more insight from the largest scientific and professional organization of psychologists in the United States, here's a commonly asked questions page about transgender people, gender identity and gender expression.

apa.org/topics/lgbtq/transgender

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Could they compete on the Transgender Tour...?***

Feb 23, 2021, 10:22 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 24, 2021, 9:02 AM

@#$%, man.

Why you gotta be a jerk about it?

Yes, somebody who was born biologically a male has advantages in muscle mass and bone density and thus almost certainly should be disqualified from playing women's sports. Sorry, just because you identify as a woman and should be allowed to be allowed to legally call yourself one doesn't make you one biologically. That's the main difference, to me.

But stop with calling it a "mental illness". I'm not going with anybody on that. I don't live in anybody else's skin. If somebody's happier "identifying" as a woman and calling themselves one, it's definitely not my lookout. If Mike down the street now wants to be called Mandy, Mandy it is.

However, if "Mandy" down the street now wants to put on a pair of soccer cleats and bludgeon your daughter or mine in a competitive soccer match, either, I won't support "her". That's a tilted playing field. Mandy can play all she wants...in a men's game, if she's good enough. She may well be; she's biologically male.

Common sense, people. Where does it go?

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic