Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Rushing yardage
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

Rushing yardage

Dec 15, 2020, 8:05 AM

Other than the score, rushing yardage will be one of the most important stats of the game. ETN is due a great game, and it feels great to get skalski and Tyler Davis back. To me the rushing yardage is the game within the game. Need to run the ball effectively and shut their run game down.

Hope that we get on them early..

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

63-17

Re: Rushing yardage

Dec 15, 2020, 9:33 AM

I respectfully disagree.

Our rushing yardage will not be a key stat in the game, but the threat of the run will be a key to the game.

If ND can remove the threat of us running the ball, the game gets much tougher.

With that said, even though we ran for almost no yardage in the last game, the threat of the run remained and kept the passing lanes open until we got behind the chains on 1st down in the second overtime.

We don't have to rush for 175 or 200 yards in the game and we absolutely won't rush for that much, but we do need to keep ourselves in rushing situations to help our success in the passing game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2020, 9:51 AM

I do agree with your comment here tigerO, but I think we could rush somewhere in the range of 175-200. I agree that our OLine is not as good or experienced has it was last season, but as T. Elliott mentioned earlier, having Lawrence back for the read option opens things up for sure. Who is to say that doesn't open up for Lawrence and/or to break off big runs if just the right read is made.
Another thing people don't like to hear or believe, but Elliott has said this often too, that our "pop-passes", quick screens, bubble screens, and just standard wide receiver screens all go down in the books as passing yards, but are extensions of the run game. So if those are working to give us 4-5 yards on a play. I think they are a positive thing. And as you mentioned it keeps the defense "honest" and opens up passing lanes for Lawrence to shred them up. Go Tigers!

Dec 15, 2020, 10:57 AM

A QB who is a threat to run will do nothing but help our efforts this week. I do like our chances, but our "Big Uglies" need to show out this week.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2020, 10:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Rushing yardage ]

I definitely agree about the extensions of the run game that we use in our offense.

I can't agree that we will get those big yardage numbers from rushing though even if we manage to break a long run, which except for Rencher last week we haven't done in a long while, because ND is an outstanding rush defense and we've only hit the 200 yard mark twice this season in 10 tries.

Dec 15, 2020, 11:49 AM

You are probably right. I am probably just being a little too wishful thinking. With Etienne and Lawrence in a Win or out of the CFP game in their last season as Tigers. Just hoping the two of them put together something special.

Dec 15, 2020, 10:55 AM [ in reply to Re: Rushing yardage ]

The way our OL has played much of the year, I don't look for us to have excessive rushing yards. I hope I'm wrong, and our OL shows out, but that would come as a total surprise based on past experience. A successful passing game will help loosen up our running game. I hope we run and pass all over ND, but the game probably will be a war. We just need to win the war.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2020, 11:00 AM

Put me in this category as well.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic