Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Rumor of Navy entering the ACC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Rumor of Navy entering the ACC

Nov 27, 2012, 8:42 PM

Many people don't know that Notre Dame and Navy have a multi-decade agreement to play each other. It comes from the fact that back during the WWII era and the "days of Army and Navy" football dominance, Navy agreed to play Notre Dame (who was struggling financially if you can believe it) and this helped ND survive financially. To ND's credit, they never ceased to acknowledge what Navy did to assist them in their years of financial struggling and they agreed to 'always' play Navy. Look it up. This is why you are seeing current references to Navy entering the ACC....probably to help broker a deal to convince ND to be a full fledged member because they would be able to still fulfill their commitment to play Navy every year and they could easily schedule Navy as a conference member every year. Look it up !!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I prefer Navy over anyone else at this point.***

Nov 27, 2012, 8:44 PM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

I do too. Let's fill the hole in Maryland, get the

Nov 27, 2012, 9:36 PM

Baltimore and DC market back in our tv footprint, plus Navy has a national appeal. I would much rather have Navy than Louisville or Cincy. My #1 Navy, #2 Connecticut.

I do have one condition though. No matter who the invite, it has to be for basketball and football.

I was a Navy for #14 proponent but acknowledge that

Nov 28, 2012, 4:39 PM

Louisville was the more prudent get. They're a football school on the rise and they've built themselves a nice home college football field in the process. They have a great basketball tradition and I'm stoked about us playing them in b ball. The ACC needed a football name and they've got one in an up and coming program. Petrino did pretty well there also, so it's a program that can spend the money on a head guy and get greater exposure in areas they need to recruit from. They'll be a challenge on the field.

I would prefer that we hold tight for now but if there's a legitimate opportunity to add Navy with Notre Dame, or even adding Navy as a non-football program with Notre Dame's 5-team rotation set-up and let them remain independent in football, IMO that would be a much better school to align with than any more other Big East schools. We could use some of Maryland's money to help Louisville and Navy make the transition. 14 in football for the time being with 16 in all other sports, with an opportunity to go full 16. Not bad.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree***

Nov 27, 2012, 8:50 PM

I'm all for Navy "IF" it leads to Notre Dame becoming a full

Nov 27, 2012, 8:56 PM

time member in the ACC. But only "IF"

Give ya an E for effort but ND survived during WWII not

Nov 27, 2012, 9:00 PM

because of FB but because the Naval Academy needed another facility to train persons for officers in the navy during WWII and they selected ND whiched saved ND because WWII had dropped ND enrollment so low that it jeaporized the university. Tuition was paid by the US government because these persons were considered an extension of the Navel accademy. Because of this ND feels obligated to the Naval Academy and pledge to play them fo ever for all intent and purpose

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Give ya an E for effort but ND survived during WWII not

Nov 27, 2012, 9:09 PM

My point is just as you said. ND has honored their 'obligation' and commitment to play Navy each year. At that time in the past, it was a symbiotic relationship and I think it is honorable for ND to consistently acknowledge Navy's 'support' for their university. Bottom line: ND would be in favor of Navy in the ACC.

I agree and you have to admire their loyalty***

Nov 27, 2012, 9:27 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Has always been my feeling that the #15 and 16 team spots

Nov 28, 2012, 12:07 AM [ in reply to Re: Give ya an E for effort but ND survived during WWII not ]

were being reserved for Navy and ND to join the ACC at the same time since all of this ND talk started.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is true***

Nov 27, 2012, 9:37 PM [ in reply to Give ya an E for effort but ND survived during WWII not ]

Lol let's just add Newberry and Mars Hill while we're at it***

Nov 27, 2012, 9:03 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL

Nov 27, 2012, 10:20 PM

nm

Re: Lol let's just add Newberry and Mars Hill while we're at it***

Nov 28, 2012, 5:49 AM [ in reply to Lol let's just add Newberry and Mars Hill while we're at it*** ]

I think Wofford since they played creditably against both S.C. schools.

Careful...careful...what you wish for! lol***

Nov 28, 2012, 5:54 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Rumor of Navy entering the ACC***

Nov 28, 2012, 4:16 PM

They are joining the Big East.***

Nov 28, 2012, 4:25 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

not another option team we have enough trouble with Gt***

Nov 28, 2012, 10:29 PM

not another option team we have enough trouble with Gt***

Nov 28, 2012, 10:30 PM

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic