Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Rolling Stones Concert 1989
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 351

Rolling Stones Concert 1989

Sep 18, 2014, 8:27 AM

I was thinking the other day about the great concerts that Death Valley used to have. Rolling Stones came in 1989 on their Steel Wheels tour. Did anyone go? And does anyone happen to have pictures?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Went. No pictures, but my ears have been ringing ever since!***

Sep 18, 2014, 8:31 AM

I went....sorry no pics

Sep 18, 2014, 8:32 AM

worst traffic getting out of Clemson in history. Half the people in attendance had never set foot in Clemson before - you can imagine the issues getting that many people out of town.

Living Colour was the opener and rocked. Stones were the Stones, a little past their prime but still excellent.

The spectacle (first major concert ever in DV) was probably better than the concert itself.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Worst traffic ever...

Sep 18, 2014, 9:08 AM

If I remember correctly, the Highway Patrol refused, at the last minute, to work traffic, so there was no traffic control other than CU and town cops. I sat in a lot for three hours before moving, got home at 5 AM.

Great show though. We were on the top row of the north upper deck, so I can only assume it was really the Stones on stage.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep. I think I got home around 4 am.***

Sep 18, 2014, 4:58 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: Rolling Stones Concert 1989

I went & I wouldn't dare put any pictures out on the World Wide Web! Good times were had by all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

I was there. I believe it was over Thanksgiving weekend. Great concert. I couldn't believe how much energy Mick put into the show. No pics unfortunately.

I was there. Great show

Sep 18, 2014, 8:33 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

WOW! Richards actually looked 'alive' in that pic.***

Sep 18, 2014, 4:59 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Sep 18, 2014, 8:36 AM

I was there. No photos though. Sat way way way up high.

I was there but sorry no pigs***

Sep 18, 2014, 8:38 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

I think hartins went to that concert

Sep 18, 2014, 8:41 AM

His family bought him tickets for his 70th birthday.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

setlist from that show

Sep 18, 2014, 8:45 AM

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-rolling-stones/1989/death-valley-stadium-clemson-sc-1bd6f1cc.html

Start Me Up
B****
Sad Sad Sad
Undercover of the Night
Harlem Shuffle (Bob & Earl cover)
Tumbling Dice
Miss You
Almost Hear You Sigh
Ruby Tuesday
Play With Fire
Rock and a Hard Place
Terrifying
Mixed Emotions
Honky Tonk Women
Midnight Rambler
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Can't Be Seen (Keith Richards on lead vocals)
Happy (Keith Richards on lead vocals)
Paint It Black
2000 Light Years from Home
Sympathy for the Devil
Gimme Shelter
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)
Brown Sugar
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Encore:
Jumpin' Jack Flash

Sep 18, 2014, 8:47 AM

I was there-no pictures, but I downloaded the audio for the show.

Sep 18, 2014, 8:48 AM

Where did you find the audio for the show?

I was there in the upper deck south stands

Sep 18, 2014, 8:47 AM

the band was set up towards the west EZ. Jagger looked looked like an ant. The girl I went with was a stick in the mud( set up blind date) and the people around me smoked the whole time. It was not the best of nights for me, but oh well....at least I can say I was there..:)

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

I was there. Sat in the first section to the left

Sep 18, 2014, 8:50 AM

of the stage. Got some pix at home, but they aren't digital. Had some huge inflatable women on stage if I remember correctly.

Yup...inflated it during Honky Tonk Woman

Sep 18, 2014, 8:56 AM

When Jagger started bouncing on it, it did some obsene things to itself.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Sep 18, 2014, 8:55 AM

Unfortunately, I missed that one but I was at Pink Floyd....best show I've ever been to!!!

Still kicking myself for missing the Stones :)

Pic/ Article from Greenville News/ Setlist here:

Sep 18, 2014, 8:57 AM

Stones bringing rock show to Clemson's Death Valley

Published: Tuesday, October 24, 1989 at 3:15 a.m.

Last Modified: Tuesday, October 24, 1989 at 12:00 a.m.

CLEMSON - The "Steel Wheels" of the Rolling Stones' world tour will roll into Clemson's Death Valley Nov. 26, marking the first time anyone has ever used the famed football field for a concert. It also will mark the sole Palmetto State appearance of the Stones, touted by many as "the greatest rock 'n' roll band in the world." The current tour is the group's first since 1981. Promoters and university officials announced the details of the highly-anticipated performance yesterday in the Tiger Den during a 1 p.m. news conference. "Basically, to me, it's just like Clemson has another home game this year, only this time it's not a football game, it's the Rolling Stones," said Allen Corbett, a promoter with Camden-based C&C Entertainment who brought the show to Clemson. More than 60,000 tickets will go on sale Saturday at 10 a.m. for the 7 p.m. show the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Tickets will cost $31.50 each, and will be limited to 10 per person, Corbett said. Gates at Death Valley will open at 5 p.m. the night of the show. The critically acclaimed rock group Living Colour will open for the Rolling Stones. With promoters expecting tickets to sell quickly, a Spartanburg man said yesterday he was taking no chances of not getting one. Glenn Fulghum, 37, intends to be the first Stones fan to get tickets at Duncan Park, one of four sites selling tickets for the concert. He started his camping vigil yesterday afternoon, just a couple of hours after radio stations blared the announcement. "I was there at 1 o'clock, pulling into Clemson," Fulghum said. "But when I heard Duncan Park on the radio, I made a U-turn in the middle of the road and headed back home. I knew there'd be more people who could get me some food closer to home." Fulghum's girlfriend, 34-year-old Pat Perry of Spartanburg, says she intends to camp out as well. Both saw the group at Carter-Finley Stadium in Raleigh Sept. 16, but an elevated speaker spoiled an otherwise adequate view. This time, they expect to get great seats for what they described as an spectacular show. "They put bucks into it, they put their heart and soul and energy into it," Ms. Perry said. "They weren't cheap; now The Who was cheap!" Fulghum jokingly speculated that the Rolling Stones concert already has played a major role in the success of the Clemson Tiger football team's success this year. "I think (North Carolina State) let Clemson win to get back stage passes," he said. "We wouldn't say that if we were waiting in line in Clemson." Clemson students were equally enthusiastic about the announcement. Chris Liner, an 18-year-old freshman from Greenwood, said the concert is "the best thing that's happened to Clemson in a long time." "My dad was kind of a nut with them, so I gotta keep it up," he said. "Stones and The Beatles - that was my daddy, Stones and The Beatles." Carolina Gaskins, a 20-year-old sophomore from Michigan, said she saw the group in Raleigh, too, but won't let that keep her from going again. "My mom has said, `Why go back early - you've already seen them,' and I said, `I will see them again,"' Miss Gaskins said, adding that her mother knows little of the famed middle-aged rockers. "To this day, she is like `Was the Rocks's concert good?' I said `No, mom, it's the Stones."' Lead singer Mick Jagger, along with Ron Wood, Charlie Watts, Keith Richards and Bill Wyman will perform on a stage 306 feet wide, 112 feet high and 88 feet deep, Corbett said. The University of South Carolina in August passed on an opportunity to host the group in Williams-Brice Stadium after athletic department officials claimed having the concert might open the school up to having less desirable events. The proposed Sept. 30 date also would've occurred during the Gamecock football season. Butch Trent, director of Clemson's University Union, said Clemson officials had agreed to offer Death Valley as a concert site before negotiations began at USC. He added the concert would occur after the regular football season. Mike Arnold, director of programs and services for the University Union, said college officials expect to make $90,000 from the concert. The show will be the last major event of Clemson's Centennial celebration.

Ticket information Stones fans may buy tickets at the Duncan Park box office in Spartanburg, Greenville Memorial Auditorium, the Carolina Coliseum in Columbia, and the Turner Building, at 2222 Tiger Blvd., Clemson. Each of these locations will accept only cash or cashier's checks. Those wishing to charge tickets through Ticketron from anywhere in North Carolina or South Carolina may call 1-800-366-1212, 1-800-366-1214 or 1-800-543-3041. Those calling the first two numbers may use only MasterCard or Visa. Fans calling the third number will be able to charge tickets with their American Express cards. Georgia fans may charge tickets by calling 1 800-366-1212 or 1 800-366-1214. Clemson students, who will be on fall break from Friday until Oct. 31, will be allowed to buy tickets from a special reserve of about 7,500 to 10,000 tickets that will go on sale Nov. 1. Officials expect to work out the details on student tickets today or tomorrow.>MIKE BONNER PHOTO Glenn Fulghum of Spartanburg set up camp yesterday at the Duncan Park ticket outlet. Tickets for the Rolling Stones concert go on sale Saturday. MICKEH.ERE

The Rolling Stones
11/26/89
Death Valley / Clemson University

1.Start Me Up
2. #####
3. Sad Sad Sad
4. Undercover of the Night
5. Harlem Shuffle*
6. Tumbling Dice
7. Miss You
8. Almost Hear You Sigh
9. Ruby Tuesday
10. Play With Fire
11. Rock and a Hard Place
12. Terrifying
13. Mixed Emotions
14. Honky Tonk Women
15. Midnight Rambler
16. You Can't Always Get What You Want
17. Can't Be Seen**
18. Happy **
19. Paint It Black
20. 2000 Light Years from Home
21. Sympathy for the Devil
22. Gimme Shelter
23. It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)
24. Brown Sugar
25. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

Encore:

26. Jumpin' Jack Flash

NOTES:
Steel Wheels Tour
* Bob & Earl Cover
**Keith Richards on Lead Vocals

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Sep 18, 2014, 9:02 AM

Wife and I were there. It's been that long? Heck I was sort of young then. Had seats probably 15 rows from stage almost dead center. Turns out that while that's nice to brag about, it was LOUD (too loud in fact). It was quite a show and worth the money. No pictures though.

excellent show along with the Floyd show and RATM

Sep 18, 2014, 9:45 AM

U2 sucked

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: excellent show along with the Floyd show and RATM

Sep 18, 2014, 1:54 PM

Floyd show: in a boat on Lake Hartwell, heard music just fine, saw nothing but a BIG cloud of smoke coming from DV! Awesome!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Re: excellent show along with the Floyd show and RATM

Sep 18, 2014, 2:09 PM [ in reply to excellent show along with the Floyd show and RATM ]

I agree, Rage blew them off the stage, when Bono snubbed us by not playing New Years Dayor Sunday Blooy Sunday ...I lost all respect for him!!!

I was there! The highway patrol wouldnt help

Sep 18, 2014, 1:56 PM

with parking. It took me 5 hours to get to Greenville after the show!

I was there. My roommate and I camped out

Sep 18, 2014, 2:02 PM

all night to get tickets, along with a big chunk of the student body. There was not much sleeping going on that night. It was well worth it. The show was awesome!

yep...a buddy of mine got arrested TWICE that day

Sep 18, 2014, 2:15 PM

May be able to get my hands on a mug shot, if you are interested

And seriously, it was a BUDDY!

Pretty cool watching them set up before the concert

Sep 18, 2014, 3:36 PM

Camped out and got tickets. Great show. I liked Pink Floyd better

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was there..IMO Eagles concert was better

Sep 18, 2014, 3:46 PM

Sat way up for Stones, was in the third row for Eagles so maybe that's why I thought it was better.. Was also a little older for the Eagles concert... was a freshman in high school for the Stones

Sep 18, 2014, 3:54 PM

Wow inflation is a terrible thing, u could see the stones in 89 for what it costs to go to the movies today.

I listened from the road until the Stones took the stage.

Sep 18, 2014, 5:01 PM

Scalper gave me a ticket...don't know where the seat was, I just made my way to the front.

Free show for me!

I was there ... one of the massive

Sep 18, 2014, 4:56 PM

blow-up women they had on each side of the stage looked like she was giving the audience the finger.

I also remember Living Colour singing their only hit, "Cult of Personality."

Also, a friend and I were civil engineering grad students at the time. We parked in front of Lowry Hall about 3-4 hours before the concert. We had keys to the building so we tailgated on the front lawn and had access to indoor restrooms. It was great.

Replies: 31
| visibility 351
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic