Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If retaining BB happened the way it's been reported...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

If retaining BB happened the way it's been reported...

Mar 20, 2017, 2:45 PM

this is the absolute worst case scenario.

I think most Clemson fans like Brownell, but believe a change is needed. The frustration fans are feeling will continue to increase. Now BB will be under a microscope even more than he's been, and I'm afraid some fans will begin to attack a good man personally. There's no need for that.

The team and players will suffer. Support is going to be terrible. This discussion will continue all next season, even if he wins a few more games and makes it to the NCAA and has an early exit.

How in the heck can he recruit now? Rival recruiters will have a field day with this situation.

This will cost Clemson a lot more in the long run than the buyout would have cost this year.

Terrible, TERRIBLE decision by the AD.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

kind of reminds me of Les Miles last yr

Mar 20, 2017, 2:47 PM

but without all the publicity, since we suck.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this is an underrated post

Mar 20, 2017, 4:02 PM

nm

Re: If retaining BB happened the way it's been reported...

Mar 20, 2017, 2:51 PM

Recruiting disaster

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 20, 2017, 4:08 PM

> Recruiting disaster

Recruiting has been a disaster for near on a decade now.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 20, 2017, 2:52 PM

Well said

Mar 20, 2017, 2:54 PM

there is no way for you to know or anyone to know whether it was a bad decision until next winter.

Mar 20, 2017, 3:04 PM

Let's look at next years team. The two guards coming back with Thomas form a good start. They are the strength of the team. Our best defensive player is gone. JB is gone. Holmes is gone. The young players on the bench provided little support. Grantham is a bust. The incoming freshmen class is the best under Brownell but they are not Parade All Americans. They will have to grow up fast in the ACC. This past years team was supposed to be Brownells best. We failed badly. What makes any of you believe that next year will be better. Add to that the pressure of Brownell having to do much better to keep his job. I just don't see it.

unless you're playing for Duke freshmen for the most part

Mar 20, 2017, 3:05 PM

don't contribute in the ACC...just doesn't happen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: unless you're playing for Duke freshmen for the most part

Mar 20, 2017, 3:30 PM

Exactly! Even their Parade All Americans struggled some during the season.

if it did happen as reported then its a disaster for all

Mar 20, 2017, 3:01 PM

involved...you've got a coach who knows he truly isn't wanted...you've got a AD who wanted to go in another direction and now has to sell it to the fanbase that I was just kidding and I do truly believe in this coach and you should too....you've got a program who will be on shaky ground recruiting wise even more than in the past because it will be used against it...you've got a fanbase that is somewhere between apathetic and discouraged...its a worst case scenario no doubt.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That story would have to come from Dan Radakovich.

Mar 20, 2017, 3:02 PM

Which is why I don't buy it.

It's a diversion, a deflection from the simple fact that the Clemson Athletic Director did not adequately prepare to do his job.

Epic Fail.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rival recruiters? like UAB, Memphis, Troy etc

Mar 20, 2017, 3:10 PM

BB has never been a great recruiter and like you said, will only get worse

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Rival recruiters? like UAB, Memphis, Troy etc

Mar 20, 2017, 3:16 PM

Can you imagine Brownell trying to convince a top notch player this spring to come to Clemson? These kids have phones and computers. They read what is being said by the fans and the ad. Unless Drad comes out and says Brownell has a long extension, the kids will know that he is on borrowed time. He has set up Brownell for failure.

You are correct, this is the worst possible scenario. It

Mar 20, 2017, 3:20 PM

is unimaginable that we have gotten to this point.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

just wait until he goes back to UNCW...***

Mar 20, 2017, 3:21 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: just wait until he goes back to UNCW...***

Mar 20, 2017, 3:29 PM

He can go now. We will help him pack.

Many on this Board have been in professional environments _

Mar 20, 2017, 3:29 PM

For 20, 30 or even more years. By professional, I mean business, finance, medical, education etc. Very rarely do last chance or giving ultimatums work. My experience has been less than 10% ... or even 5% actually have positive outcomes. Hence the frustration with the circumstances around this decision.

In my professional experience, it is best to cut ties in these type scenarios.

Re: Many on this Board have been in professional environments _

Mar 20, 2017, 3:31 PM

Tell that to Drad.

with 25 years experience in the professional world I have

Mar 20, 2017, 4:06 PM [ in reply to Many on this Board have been in professional environments _ ]

never seen them work....if you've gotten to that point there's a good reason...either you're not a good fit for the job or it's simply too big of a job for you...as a result a change will happen sooner or later but it will happen.

37 years experience for me and I agree completely.

Mar 20, 2017, 5:08 PM

At this point the damage is done. Trust is lost. Relationships are rocky.

What must be done eventually, should be done immediately.

of course.....Brad knows he's second or third or fourth

Mar 20, 2017, 5:24 PM

choice off the start and knows it again now...he knows they spoke to Will and of course that gets back around in coaching circles. He's now looking for a soft landing place and his attention is divided. His assistant coaches are doing the same thing.

40 years in such environments for me...

Mar 20, 2017, 5:40 PM [ in reply to Many on this Board have been in professional environments _ ]

And I never would have NOT canned someone because the one I wanted wasn't available. If a change is needed you make the change and start the search.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: Many on this Board have been in professional environments _

Mar 20, 2017, 8:22 PM [ in reply to Many on this Board have been in professional environments _ ]

Working for municipal government, the private sector as a researcher and in higher ed for the last sixteen years I too see this entire situation as a total failure of communication and decisive leadership. Coming from someone who has been an AD in two institutions, the lack of deliberate planning is all the more troubling.

DRad needs to be held accountable and the Trustees must make matters bluntly clear. Clemson basketball cannot have a repeat next year. Brownell is now caught in a largely no win circumstance and despite his record he didn't deserve this outcome. We can only hope for the best. I would love for Brownell to seek another job, but perhaps his best is ahead? We can only hope.

Go Tigers!

Dumpster...match...

Mar 20, 2017, 7:53 PM

here we go...

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic