Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Return to Pakistan
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1,389

Return to Pakistan

Sep 19, 2019, 5:10 PM

Well, not really. I wouldn't dare return there under current conditions but it's interesting to look at the changes that have occurred since I was there in 1992-93. My office was in Karachi and the population at that time was about 8 to 9 million. Today the population is about 15 to 16 million. I spent about one month in Moultan, located in lower Punjab. The population at that time was less than one million. Now the population is two million.

Murree, a summer haven for the rich Pakistanis, is located in the mountains above Islamabad. When I visited there, the elevation was 7,044'. The current elevation is 7,516'. How does a mountain grow by almost 500 feet in 26 years? It seems that the elevation reported many years earlier was in error and the latest measurement had discovered the error. The amazing thing when I was there was the fact I was not affected by the altitude. Granted, I did no running but I did do some climbing due to the layout of the town.

Going further north out of Murree, the mountains get higher and higher. Our high point was about 10,000' and off in the distance they were in the 16,000' to 20,000' range. We were cautioned to not venture any further because there were Tribal areas where foreigners and even Pakistanis were not welcome.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Return to Pakistan

Sep 19, 2019, 7:20 PM

Joe, what was your rank when you retired?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2019, 9:20 PM

I did not retire from the military. My time in the military was during WW2 and the Korean War, a total of about five years. I was associated with Fort/AIC Consultants and was a consultant to the Cotton Export Corp. in Pakistan. I never visited the Karachi Zoo but did visit the Lahore Zoo. Saw some beautiful Bengal Tigers. Have some slides of the Tigers among some of my stuff.

One of my interpreters took me to the Tomb of Jahangir The tomb was built by his son, Shah Jahan, who built the Taj Mahal. We arrived at the tomb before it was scheduled to open. My interpreter told the caretaker I had come all the way from the United States to see the tomb and we were granted permission to enter. The tomb was undergoing some repairs so after taking off our shoes, we were cautioned to be careful while inside. The tiles were beautiful as was the entire tomb, inside and out. The people were not allowed to take any of the loose tiles or other material from the tomb but when we were preparing to leave, the caretaker gave me a piece of tile. That piece of tile is also among some of my "stuff".

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I enjoyed reading your post! Also, thank you for your service***

Sep 19, 2019, 7:47 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2019, 8:13 PM

Joe, did you go to the Karachi Zoo? That was the high light of my Mid East tour. If that tells you anything about, what a fun time we had in the Middle East.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1,389
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic