Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
In news that surprises appoximately *no one*
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 608

In news that surprises appoximately *no one*

Feb 11, 2021, 2:28 PM

This seems like quite the way to ensure republicans remain the minority party for quite some time... assuming that it can actually get it's feet off of the ground.

https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/1359916184989167620

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Looks legit.***

Feb 11, 2021, 2:30 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

It's a report by Reuters, so, kinda, yeah

Feb 11, 2021, 2:32 PM

But your low energy contribution is appreciated.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ha ha. Sorry rulez. I didn't click the link. Maybe next

Feb 11, 2021, 2:47 PM

time go ahead and link to the Reuters article, but criticism accepted.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-party-exclusive/exclusive-dozens-of-former-republican-officials-in-talks-to-form-anti-trump-third-party-idUSKBN2AB07P

I appreciate their thoughts but if this were ever to be, it would obviously solidify Democrat rule for some time. If any of these people were any good at their jobs, perhaps they could figure out away to bridge the gap and connect with Trump supporters while maintaining their connection to principled Conservatism. I know the refrain...Trump fans are fanatic nutjobs. And some of them are, but a lot of them have frustrations and concerns that don't require a guy with a blow torch in the Oval.

null

I think the issue with this is

Feb 11, 2021, 3:02 PM

Theyre ALREADY throwing "Trump Republicans" under the bus by forming a party to "combat them". You're right. Find common grounds and go after the dems.

Agreed.

Feb 11, 2021, 2:32 PM

That's the last thing they want right now. It'll secure Dems for years.

I wondered, even before Trump, if the GOP might start heading in this direction. The Dems, as inept as they are, at least know how to circle the wagons and stay together.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

But how successful could something like this be?

Feb 11, 2021, 2:34 PM

Youd have to think they would need to plop themselves right in the middle and hope they can pull enough from both sides. They can't hope to cater to traditional conservatives and traditional conservatives alone and expect to win anything meaningful. Sure they might snag a few seats, but a third party that is the "well dressed version" of Trumpism won't be successful, even if my personal political theory would probably align with it.

It won't be.

Feb 11, 2021, 2:50 PM

I mean, if just popular enough, all it serves is to help the Dems. They would sit back and let those two fight it out amongst themselves and then pick up the moderates.

The GOP hemmed itself in years ago with spending. Somewhere along the way, the talk of fiscal responsibility and opposing big government just became talk. It would get them elected, then they would back off it and spend, spend, spend. This especially cornered them with their dedication to our overbloated military budget.

For a hot minute, the Tea Party movement opposed that--until those guys got in office and the lobbyists bought them, too. Even Trump was a liar in that regard; he loved spending and big government just as much as the others.

At least the Dems are honest about their frivolous spending, and they know their target audience with that.

The GOP also bough itself some short-term security with embracing the radical sect of the Christian right, and now they can't shed that baggage very well (and the people who actually run that party #### sure ain't anything Christian).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Re: It won't be.

Feb 11, 2021, 2:55 PM

Though I think the Dems could be in for a bit of an intramural brawl too between the center-left and the Bernie Bros.

That one's been on the back-burner as long as the Orange Man Group was acting like a bunch of squalling baboons with bleeding piles and being alarming enough to keep the Big Tent together but the second the GOP collapses, so too does the Tent.

Could be we're looking at a lot more Ranked Choice Voting than we realize, and earlier.

That would be best. I'd love to talk actual Issues rather than just holding the line against the Barbarian Horde.

Bernie is pushing 80

Feb 11, 2021, 3:00 PM

Not sure how long his loyalists will be kicking once he bows out. The disease of Trumpism, however, could still linger with his children and other sycophants.

Re: Bernie is pushing 80

Feb 11, 2021, 3:10 PM

It's not just Bernie, there is a whole crowd of people who think "Zir" is a pronoun we should be using and that we should all be on a universal basic income. I have just as little in common with those people as I do with the china hatin' libtard pwning internet warrior trailer trash that Trump appealed to.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

high five***

Feb 11, 2021, 3:12 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bernie is pushing 80

Feb 11, 2021, 3:16 PM [ in reply to Bernie is pushing 80 ]

AOC picks up that baton the second Bernie hits the floor, and probably brains Shumer with it. She's already measuring Shumer's office for drapes. If she doesn't have a go at Shumer it just means it's going to be Kristen Gillibrand who gets the knife in '24. Depends on how stabby AOC is feeling, and whether she feels it'd be too indecorous to dump the Senate Majority Leader out on his butt.

I blame Fox for this, I really do. Vegas once said: "there is no bad publicity", and their frantic focusing of misplaced misogynistic white hatred on her has elevated her brand to an insane level. Now she's the far left's doe-eyed plucky Virgin Princess. Gawds.

And unlike Bernie, who is a grudging pragmatism who wants to get stuff done while he's still vertical, I don't think she's going to be interested in cutting deals and making nice with the center left. It's going to be all or nothing with her.

Re: In news that surprises appoximately *no one*

Feb 11, 2021, 2:34 PM

Feb 11, 2021, 2:38 PM

Yeah, I question the source, too. But this is the existential problem facing the Republicans right now. If they stick with Trump they risk permanently losing real Republicans and moderates. If they dump Trump, they risk losing a big chunk of Trump reactionaries. Either way, they lose elections to Dems.

It seems that they have two choices.

1. Remain quiet on the Trump front (and hope he does too) so that they can keep most of the Trumpers while steering back away from that chaos.

2. Make a clear turn back towards the middle and hope to pull a good number of Dem moderates over to their more sensible point of view. This paths seems to require that the Dems steer a very leftist course - too leftist for moderates.

You question Reuters?***

Feb 11, 2021, 2:40 PM

Re: You question Reuters?***

Feb 11, 2021, 7:40 PM

Yeah, I didn't see any reference to Reuters in the OP.

Re: You question Reuters?***

Feb 11, 2021, 7:45 PM

Republican officials= Lincoln Project***

Feb 11, 2021, 2:39 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lincoln Project is dying a slow death

Feb 11, 2021, 2:40 PM

And they know it. They just want to bring whomever they can with them.

Cleaving to Trump is the worst option politically for them.

Feb 11, 2021, 2:50 PM

Convicting Trump and moving on without him would be the fastest path back to relevance as a party.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd prefer Trumpers branch off to let Pubs go back to normal

Feb 11, 2021, 2:55 PM

You think a Proud Boy supporting group under Trump would still be the 'party of Lincoln'?

Feb 11, 2021, 2:57 PM

If there was a center right party that wanted to lower my taxes, keep us from going to single payer, have moderate policy about climate, energy, etc, while also eschewing the hyper religious social stuff that fires up the tards, I'd be 100% down for it. I might even put their flag on my boat.

Feb 11, 2021, 3:04 PM

Hellz yeah, and so would a fucton of us.

I feel badly for you guys now,

Feb 11, 2021, 3:07 PM

what with such candidates that you espouse going down in a ball of fire in 08 and 12.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I feel badly for you guys now,

Feb 11, 2021, 3:16 PM

Losing to a candidate as strong as Obama shouldn't lead to disqualifying moderates from winning the nomination.

LOL, nice source, cheesedick!!!!

Feb 11, 2021, 3:00 PM

hahahaha, I knew it was Reuters---just liked imagining your BP taking a temporary spike when you read the subject line.

It did actually, you kinda hurt my feelings.***

Feb 11, 2021, 3:09 PM

The GOP has been dead a long time now.

Feb 11, 2021, 3:10 PM

Couldn't hurt. I know I don't have a party.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They have backed themselves into this.

Feb 11, 2021, 3:17 PM

Basically, if they don't vote to impeach trump, they are, at least in the mildly uniformed public's eyes, defending what happened on Jan 6. Defending the undefendable is a bad spot to be in.

And for the Reps who vote "no" to impeaching Trump, do they think that won't come back to bite them in the asss in 2024? A dem running against them can and will use "defending an attempted coup" as their entire platform. All the "whatabout Portland?!s" in the world can't deflect from that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They have backed themselves into this.

Feb 11, 2021, 3:30 PM

Yup.

If they're smart, they just won't be there to vote for Trump. I half expect about 20-30 GOP Senators to be mysteriously absent come roll call...and the motion will carry. Whereupon the camera will pan to Mitch McConnell out in the hallway, just sorta...standing there with a look of strangely childlike innocence on his face, and then after the motion carries, he just sorta strolls back into the Senate chamber like nothing ever happened.

That would be very Mitch McConnell.

Probably won't go down that way, but that would be very Mitch McConnell. And I would pay actual money to watch the Donald go ape.

Replies: 30
| visibility 608
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic