Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Repost: Question to all about the future of Clemson Basketba
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 2,386

Repost: Question to all about the future of Clemson Basketba

Feb 17, 2019, 11:03 AM

It seems many people on here are ready for a change in the head coach of our basketball program. Whether that is right or wrong, I don't know. But I have a question that needs to be answered by all of those calling for Coach Brad Brownell's head.

Please answer repost below:

There are not 100's of coaches who can move the program forward. That attitude has been the problem with past firings and hirings.

And for just hiring an assistant coach from another staff will start a 5 year rebuild program.

The ONLY hope for a quick turn around is to hire a big name that can recruit the 4 & 5* players.
So I go back to my original question;

Give me a NAME of a coach Clemson CAN hire that will move the program forward. This is not an open ended question, I am looking for a specific name.

Also don't answer, it's the AD's job to hire, because you are trying to tell him what to do by calling for the firing of Coach Brad Brownell, so give a NAME who CAN be hired.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have a basketball team?

Feb 17, 2019, 11:10 AM

Nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

ONE

Feb 17, 2019, 11:41 AM

Big time player can begin the climb to the top of the league. Sounds easy, but with Clemson’s lack I’d success, it easy. Just think where Tiger basketball would be right now if Zion had actually chosen to spend his one year here at Clemson. We would be a top ten team. Were not that far away from that plateau anyway. I assure you that it can be done and B.B. can do it. Find that one guy and we are in!

I reject the premise

Feb 17, 2019, 12:19 PM

People made the same demand for hiring a “big name” coach after Tommy Bowden.

And big name coaches aren’t big name coaches until they are.
Look at Coach K’s resume before going to Duke.

*But* he had experience under Bobby Knight at Army as a player and briefly at IU as an assistant. Find a young guy from a good coaching tree, that would be a good fit at Clemson. That’s where the AD’s interview process and judgment are invaluable. Does DRad have The Eye?

We don’t have a history of success in basketball, so the “horrors” of a five year “rebuilding” shouldn’t scare us. What’s the worst that could happen? Not making the tournament five years in a row? But after five, six, seven, eight, nine years you expect results or decide you don’t have the right guy. We all hoped Brad would be that guy but obviously he isn’t.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

It was obvious to some of us...

Feb 17, 2019, 12:30 PM

that Brad Wasn't the guy four+ years ago, and four years later, here we are.

I just see how someone could objectively evaluate the program in its present state and not arrive at the conclusion that a change in leadership is absolutely necessary.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: It was obvious to some of us...

Feb 18, 2019, 3:15 AM

I have thought that a change needed to be made for a while and that did not change even after last year. Since you want a name, Nate James, long time assistant under Coach K. Basically, pick a coach under any established head coach and roll the dice. I do not think Brownell is a bad coach, but I would rather take the gamble and end up with another Larry Shyatt than settle for a mediocre team nearly every year.

Re: I reject the premise

Feb 17, 2019, 12:43 PM [ in reply to I reject the premise ]

I have to rely on what y’all say. IMO both of you make a good case for change. I think 20 years ago you could have made the “no tradition “ argument but Dabo has raised the bar and the power of the paw. So it seems to me we should be able to recruit based on just being Clemson...

I also think a coach can make the recruiting pitch that all the sec fb coaches make- you’re playing against the best competition in any conference. Don’t expect nattys but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect Clemson to be in the tournament every year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We lucked into the Dabo experiment working out.

Feb 17, 2019, 1:50 PM [ in reply to I reject the premise ]

Let's not act like there are plenty of basketball Dabos out there, right in front of us, and all we have to do is find him.

For all that Dabo has done to make our football program one of the nation's finest, his success occurred at a football school with a proud past, a rabid fan base, and a commitment to giving the program whatever it needed (and wanted).

Clemson basketball doesn't have those same advantages. Not even close. If the current administration is willing and able to support basketball better, then that's great, but otherwise, the next "young up-and-comer" has a snowball's chance of being successful at Clemson given the current level of basketball support.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: We lucked into the Dabo experiment working out.

Feb 17, 2019, 2:50 PM

Just in case my post was confusing, I wasn’t suggesting that we run out and find a b-ball Dabo . No, I was merely making the point that Dabo has raised the university profile to the point where a lot of kids are exposed to it now.

Athletes like coming to a school where other great athletes are too. Oklahoma, Texas, Florida etc to name a few excel in several sports consistently...

As stated above, I don’t expect nattys in b-ball. But an occasional final four would be nice.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Regrettably, Tates Locke

Feb 17, 2019, 1:56 PM [ in reply to I reject the premise ]

Had also coached under Bobby Knight. Were there two different curricula?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Repost: Question to all about the future of Clemson Basketba

Feb 17, 2019, 12:55 PM

When CBB was hired there were no top coaches who were interested. CBB was out 3rd or 4th option. Great coaching prospect would not consider CU as it’s too risky a career move.

Some coaches are cheaters
Some coaches use JUCOs and marginal academic players

Finding a coach who does neither of these and can win is even more difficult. This coach must be willing to come to a place with average facilities, marginal fan support, willing to play second fiddle to football and compete in the toughest conference in the land.

Go ahead and start making your list. If this coach did turn CU around they would be on the first bus out (see Barnes and OP).

We have a coach who runs a clean competitive program. Recuuiting has improved two years ago with the facility upgrade. Better be careful as GT WF and NCSU learned the hard way that a coaching carousel is not the answer

Feb 17, 2019, 4:03 PM

I have read virtually every BB post on the board regarding Coach Brownell and even commented to a few, but this Repost got me to revisit my own fan history. I am 65 plus yrs. old and thus can relate to Tates Locke BB and beyond. We have had two solid coaches since 1972; the late Bill Foster and Rick Barnes. Neither had a rebuilt LJC, but they got enough talent to be successful, no excuses! You could add Purnell also, but he never succeeded in the NCAA. Cliff Ellis would build to succeed and then suffer a long dry spell. Sound familiar? This is Brownell revisited of late.

We lost them to other jobs and we as a fan base know why, however we also should stand up and let DRad know our program expectations likewise. I for one want to see a win in Chapel Hill, our first ACC Tourney championship and another elite eight or better!

What will it take to accomplish the above? First either ask Brad to find another job or be reassigned at Clemson. Yes, he is a fine person, runs a clean program, but he doesn’t recruit enough talent to win consistently and that is frankly what is lacking! Clemson wasn’t successful under West or Bowden because of inconsistency, pure and simple.

It is time to fully hire someone willing, like Dabo, who is hungry to change a culture, renew a stale program, and reject the past failures. No we lack tradition, but show fans and recruits what successes we have had. Where are our banners in LJC?

This coach would need to invest in a plan and demand equivalent resources to other ACC programs to succeed. Give them a seven year contract understanding the more wins gained would be rewarded accordingly, but most critically give them a vision of putting Clemson on par with the success of UVA lately.

Wofford hired their coach and let him build. It took nearly a decade, but he broke through. This is what Brownell has been attempting. I want to wait through next season to see what he does without expectations. If he fails then let him go, but at the same time make clear a set of goals - NCAA participation at least every other year or expect to be released.

It is time to “fish or cut bait.” Go Tigers! If Brownell cannot finish this season strongly then make the move a year early than what most anticipated.

Feb 17, 2019, 1:39 PM

The future of Clemson basketball will probably look much like the past.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 17, 2019, 4:52 PM

So, as I have ask this question at least three times on this board but yet to have an answer. Who is the big name coach Clemson CAN hire. It's time to name specific names that will come to Clemson, run a clean program and win at the level of expectations on this board. (ACC Championship, a win in Chapel Hill, NCAA appearances every other year and an appearance in the final 8)

The only way that will happen is to convince that big time coach

Feb 17, 2019, 5:20 PM

that Clemson is serious about basketball.

To do that, we would need to pay him well more than the middle-of-the pack ACC salary we currently pay Brownell.

We would also need to present a plan for continued program support, including facility improvements over the next 5-10 years.

We would also have to let him know that although we love football, that love would not compromise our commitment to basketball.

Otherwise, we will continue our usual approach, which is to pat ourselves on the back for being a football school and hoping that we will strike gold by finding a basketball coach for cheap who will not only win at a high level, but be interested in staying when other opportunities arise.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: The only way that will happen is to convince that big time coach

Feb 17, 2019, 9:17 PM

Judge Keller,

You get it! I for one am anxious to see how we finish this season. If CBB only makes the NIT then DRad needs to hear loudly from the fan base that such a finish after higher expectations simply is unacceptable period!

To answer the original post question - who would come to Clemson? Much depends upon who gets fired in the ACC or retires after this season. I think Wake, Ga. Tech and maybe Miami will be looking. Does DRad want to compete in a search? Is DRad satisfied with our outcome? Unless enough fans speak up then I suspect nothing will change.

Wait another disappointing year? Brownell is almost at the record for most program wins and thus would reassigning him send a bad message to other coaches? These weigh as factors to be considered. Frankly unless we somehow make the NCAA this year I’d have to voice immediately what I expected for next year. Either make the tourney or find a new job despite what looks like a rebuilding campaign.

Just food for thought. My choice to hire would be someone similar to Gregg Marshall, a proven coach, but one looking for a fresh start.

Go Tigers!

Feb 17, 2019, 10:05 PM

D Rad is a builder not a person to hire. He let BB stay two years ago and then did the unthinkable last year and give him an extension for one good year. Ron Hunter from Georgia State would be a great hire. Dino Gaudio is sitting on the Louisville bench. Johnny Dawkins at UCF. Bring back Shaka from Texas.

The answer to your question is ... “No one” ...

Feb 17, 2019, 11:04 PM

Clemson is a stepping stone basketball program. At best.

We can wish it were different. We can DEMAND it be different,

But, it will not change anything.

Successful head coaches have absolutely no incentive to leave their programs to come to Clemson ... none!

Up-and-comers may drop in for a while, but if they’re successfull at Clemson, higher profile programs will lure them away.

Maybe we attract a great coach who has been fired and needs a place to land. If we do, he will not stay.

Maybe we can strike gold and hire a guy like Dabo in hoops ... but, I would not count on it. It would just be too much to expect that sort of once in a lifetime miracle to occur.

I don’t know what the answer is. I don’t know if there actually IS an answer.

What I do know is that if you spend the next 20-30 years of your life thinking that all Clemson has to do is want/demand excellence in basketball and it will happen, you will be in for a miserable existence.

I know because that’s what I’ve done myself ever since I was a young man.

Peace !!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2019, 6:26 AM

Ben McCollum, great coach and would fit in very well. I’m sure he would trade his 200k job for a mill starting out at Clemson.
Clemson will not get a big name coach in his prime so why not try a successful coach from a lower level.

Replies: 18
| visibility 2,386
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic