Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
IF we go to an 8 team playoff, three important criteria should be met:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

IF we go to an 8 team playoff, three important criteria should be met:

Dec 21, 2020, 7:02 PM

1) Make the selections LESS subjective!
2) Make conference championships REALLY mean something!
3) Give group of five conference champs a legitimate shot!

Thus, here is my proposal:

The five Power 5 conference champs get automatic berths.

The top TWO group of five champs get automatic berths.

Only ONE at large berth, making it very important to win your conference championship! None of this bullcrap of the SEC thinking they should have 3 or 4 in, in an 8 team playoff.

With this scenario, this year's participants would have been Bama, Clemson, OhSt, ND, OK, TAM, Cincy and Coastal Carolina. A pretty good line-up, I would say!

The committee's function would be greatly reduced, since five of the eight would be automatic, the two G5's would be the two highest ranked out of the five G5 champs, and only selecting one at-large team.

To those who say, "But what if we end up with a 9-4 P5 conference champ?" So what? How many times in the seven years of the CFP, has a conference champ had more than two losses?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like this***

Dec 21, 2020, 7:28 PM

But where is Oregon? Methinks you hav3 to kick out either ND or TAMU

Message was edited by: dsgriff®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're right...I missed Oregon, who would be in & TAM out.***

Dec 21, 2020, 11:10 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: IF we go to an 8 team playoff, three important criteria should be met:

Dec 21, 2020, 7:29 PM

Don’t need 8. Can barely fill 4.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Which leads to my 4 team scenario: Only conference champs

Dec 21, 2020, 7:35 PM

are eligible! Just seed the top four from the conference champs! What about Notre Dame, you may ask? Join the ACC permanently, or get left out. But if we stay with a 4 team playoff, the G5 should have their own playoff!

It’s pretty clear if ND joined a conference they would NEVER

Dec 21, 2020, 8:12 PM

make the CFP with those criteria. Which probably wouldn’t be a bad thing and spare everyone the blowouts.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

I like this, too

Dec 21, 2020, 8:12 PM [ in reply to Which leads to my 4 team scenario: Only conference champs ]

The PAC needs to be involved, and G5 needs a better postseason option

I am with you on eight teams...

Dec 21, 2020, 7:40 PM

... but what happens if a 7-5 Colorado wins the Pac 12? I'm not saying I am necessarily against Colorado getting in in that scenario, but you know that people would be up in arms.

As much as I hated the BCS, I would almost be willing to fold that in to avoid a "bad" conference champion getting in. Something like, "Conference champions from the power five are automatically in, PROVIDED that they rank in the top 15 of the final BCS rankings." Or something like that.

Also, the New Years Six bowls could rotate the quarterfinals and semis, and then play the championship game in Tampa or Santa Clara or one of the NYS sites.

Put it on the conference

Dec 21, 2020, 8:20 PM

Each Power 5 conference chooses a participant; they would have to put a mechanism in place for passing over the champion in favor of a more worthy representative

If we go to 8, Power 5 champs should NOT get an automatic

Dec 21, 2020, 7:45 PM

bid per se. Make it the 6 HIGHEST RANKED Conference Champs plus two next highest ranked teams. Those could turn out to be at large, or additional conference champs, depending on that years strong teams.

And, since humans have proven to be so biased and unreliable, put the rankings back in the hands of computers who have been programmed to look at what factors are really important to gauging the relative strength of teams. None of the "flavor of the week" metrics ESPN seems to make up on the fly to suit their narrative.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2020, 7:45 PM

Two group of five teams should not take up two playoffs spots. Wake Forest and North Western would be in the playoffs every year if they were in the group of five.

I would rather have two G5 teams, than the SEC pushing to

Dec 21, 2020, 7:51 PM

have at least 3 of the 8 nearly every year, because of over-hyped bias! That's why I say, limit it two ONE at large team!

Or just make a rule that a conference can’t have more than 2***

Dec 21, 2020, 8:21 PM

Dec 21, 2020, 7:48 PM

That's all fine except only 1 automatic bid for the group of 5 - and 3 at large bids.

The ONLY way I would go for 3 at-large, would be if no conference

Dec 21, 2020, 7:53 PM

be allowed more than one at-large!

If there are 3 at large, then only allow 1 at large per conference!

Dec 21, 2020, 11:08 PM [ in reply to Re: IF we go to an 8 team playoff, three important criteria should be met: ]

Reminds me of all times Clemson gets left out of Big Dance

Dec 21, 2020, 8:09 PM

NCAA has to let in some terrible automatic qualifier. Hate automatic conference championships. All conferences are not equal.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is a trillion times better than what we have now on

Dec 21, 2020, 10:18 PM

every level.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Dec 21, 2020, 10:22 PM

Very PC but does #1 Bama get the patsy every time?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2020, 11:12 PM

I have always thought it should be 8.

My issue is that over the years the conference champion has not always been the best team in said conference. And this happens consistently because it is one game and upsets happen.

I used to think it mattered but I do not think it should carry all the weight to get in at this point. It should be taken into account however it should not be the end all be all.

For example, would you have really put Florida in this year over Bama if they upset them. I would not. We could have years where we end up with 2 and 3 loss teams playing for the NC over several undefeated and 1 loss teams because they pulled off the upset in one game. Also remember when our Tigers were playing for the ACCCG with like 4 or 5 loses. In no way did we deserve to be in the playoffs nor did GT.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I prefer to stay at 4 teams.

Dec 21, 2020, 11:20 PM

But if it goes to 8, I offer the following:

-Power 5 conference champs get automatic bids
-Three at large bids
-No more that 2 teams from one conference
-No group of 5 teams

Group of 5 should be its own division, with its own playoffs. They have no business being in the same division as the power 5.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Here is what will happen in 2026. Put it in the bank

Dec 22, 2020, 2:03 PM

An 8-team playoff consisting of,

1. All Power 5 conference champions

2. The top-ranked Group of 5 team

3. Two at-large invites

The above is literally the only thing possible because it comes closest to satisfying everyone.

(1) The most obvious is all P5 champions get in. Not even a debatable point.

(2) A Group of 5 team MUST be included to shut people up and avoid possible lawsuits. That said, there is no way they will guarantee a slot for a second Group of 5 team. That is crazy talk. The Group of 5 is a yo yo from year to year and the second best could be the #20 ranked team.

(3) The two at-large invites will become the focus of most debate. If one of the P5 conferences ever gets both invites, the committee will get roasted. Perhaps they will stipulate no more than 2 teams from one conference.

That is all.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic