Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
OT: Sales question for you sales people out there
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

OT: Sales question for you sales people out there

Feb 20, 2015, 2:41 PM

My wife works in education. She is being told that her section will be adopting new textbooks next year. Now, the publishers are asking her to attend 4-5 meetings at night to hear their sales pitches. Is it just me....or would you be the one publisher that took your customer to dinner or out for drinks if you were pitching them a product after hours?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Considering I just flew to Shreveport, LA

Feb 20, 2015, 2:50 PM

for a 35 minute meeting, (currently sitting in the airport waiting to come back) yes I would take her out for whatever she wanted to close the deal.

That being said, I'm in my mid-20s, single, without kids and have an expense account. I think some of the older guys in sales get lazy and care about their personal time and lives more than their jobs.

Regulations may not allow it

Feb 20, 2015, 2:55 PM

The rules and regulations being enforced on sales teams often don't allow that type of activity for events like she is attending. Professions like pharmaceuticals are under a lot of scrutiny for "buying" loyalty for their brand. The salesman for that book company may be prevented from taking any prospective client to dinner either by the corporate headquarters or the district office.

Re: Considering I just flew to Shreveport, LA***

Feb 21, 2015, 2:51 AM [ in reply to Considering I just flew to Shreveport, LA ]

pigs?

Feb 20, 2015, 2:53 PM

b4 i take your wife for dinner and dancing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: pigs?

Feb 20, 2015, 2:54 PM

He said textbooks ...not pigs.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Leave him alone....textbooks have nothing to do with this.***

Feb 20, 2015, 2:55 PM

null

it is common

Feb 20, 2015, 3:00 PM

Many sales people fly in early and have squat to do. Might as well have company when you go to dinner.

Each company (sellers and customers) has its own rules on what you can do.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

The school district here does not allow employees to

Feb 20, 2015, 3:21 PM

accept gifts (including meals, drinks, entertainment, etc.) as far as I know.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

in that case

Feb 20, 2015, 8:11 PM

I've encouraged her to not attend. I've also suggested she tell others not to attend. School district could arrange these sales meetings during the day. Otherwise, let district bureaucrats go on their own time

Never heard of new books being published that required anymore than for you to read them

Feb 20, 2015, 8:57 PM

And maybe.attend an afternoon seminar to skim over the basics and what should be most completely.learned.

Re: OT: Sales question for you sales people out there

Feb 21, 2015, 10:32 AM

Soooo you want your wife to pick the textbook (used to educate them children) based on what the publisher has to offer, not the children, but her in booze and a nice meal..... Cool....

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic