Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question why shouldn't USC have a better baseball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

Question why shouldn't USC have a better baseball

Mar 3, 2013, 8:40 PM

program than Clemson? They have invested far more money in there prograqm than Clemson 30M plus. They have far better fan support, I know Clemson has excellent support, but USC has better. You can't deny that there new ballpark put them over the top, until that time Clemson and USC were pretty much even. Once USC made that investment its they have set the stantdard in this state. I went to last years NCAA games in columbia when Clemson played USC and I was shocked how nice there new ballpark is location sucks. Clemson will have to do something special to overtake USC. Baseball is the number two sport at clemson easly out pacing basketball.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Guess no one has a reason.................

Mar 3, 2013, 9:45 PM

Clemson has to do something big they have far more money then they let on too. Not sure what they are holding on to it for. For all the Jack bashers why no reason why Clemson should be better. They just want to fire Jack but have no plan for who to replace him with and forget about former coaches they wouldn't touch the job if Clemson fired Jack.

why wouldn't a coach touch the job... that's dumb

Mar 3, 2013, 10:59 PM

JL should realize himself that he has been done for yrs now and the coots own him

he should retire so Clemson baseball can get better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: why wouldn't a coach touch the job... that's dumb

Mar 4, 2013, 1:05 AM

Fire Jack and see if any former Clemson coaches touch the job....

if the money is right, they'd come

Mar 4, 2013, 1:00 PM

a job is a job....

look at football, did Dabo have a problem taking his bosses job the day he was fired?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what an ignorant post lol...you dont know jack about Clemson***

Mar 5, 2013, 9:04 AM [ in reply to Guess no one has a reason................. ]

Re: Question why shouldn't USC have a better baseball

Mar 3, 2013, 9:56 PM

the support that Clemson is lacking is the admin and BOT.. SoCar admin and BOT support their athletics completely!! I sure am not wanting to use the dirty and underhanded methods that they use but until our admin wants to do better we will not.It starts @ the top and out tops want to do nothing to help our athletics..barker is the problems and until he is gone we are going to be BAD!!SoCar has the reputation that they will help athletes get into school and Clemson does all they can to hinder these same athletes on admission.We have turned away players that were layer admitted to UVA and UNC while barker says we have a level playing field!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 3, 2013, 10:08 PM

What you say is the biggest difference between us and usuc/secheat in general, and even with some of the other schools in the ACC. We have good/great facilities, great fan support, great traditions and a rich history of success, but it is getting to be a distant past. What Barker doesn't realize is that the successful athletic programs bring in huge influxes of cash and public notoriety and support. He misses the connection, and he has missed it for a long time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When UVA and UNC are admitting athletes we're turning away..

Mar 3, 2013, 10:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Question why shouldn't USC have a better baseball ]

we have a major problem. Period. To heck with this Harvard of the South lunacy.....admit the sons and daughters of the Palmetto State, superior athletes and WIN on the fields and court.

Recruiting

Mar 3, 2013, 10:17 PM

I was talking to an ex Gamecock pitcher a few months ago- Matt Campbell you might remember him shutting us down in the CWS. He was undecided between Clemson and USUC but when he was recruited by us there was no chemistry with the other recruits. It was all out of state kids- mostly northerners. He clicked with the Gamecock recruits and picked them over us. I think this really hurts us. We have a lot of talent here in SC but Legget gets out recruited in state.

Re: Recruiting

Mar 3, 2013, 10:20 PM

Right you are, climber. Recruit the instate kids and spend money. Better facilities, players and coaches will more than pay for themselves. It really is that simple.

It's NOT "mostly Northerners"...

Mar 3, 2013, 10:26 PM [ in reply to Recruiting ]

there are some, but most of Clemson's players come from the Southeast. Clemson recruits Georgia very heavily and very successfully. Lots of good players come to Clemson from Georgia. Most of the players on this year's team come from SC; the second most come from Georgia. Eight of the 10 starters (counting the DH) in today's game are from SC and GA; the exceptions being Shane Kennedy from Florida and Jon McGibbon from NY.

Re: It's NOT "mostly Northerners"...

Mar 3, 2013, 10:30 PM

Maybe it has changed. I do know our starting pitcher today was from Illinois. When I was in school 12- 15 years there were many "northerners". Khalil Greene was from Jupiter or some other planet though.

The fact that Scott Firth is from Illinois...

Mar 3, 2013, 10:37 PM

is immaterial. He's pitched really well this season, just as he has in the past. Billy Koch was from NY and Jason Berken was from Wisconsin, but they were both pretty good. If somebody will actually show up on campus, then I don't really care where he goes to HS. Plenty of people from other states have Clemson connections. It's amazing to me that only in baseball do people seem to care where players go to HS. No one seems to care in football or basketball.

Re: The fact that Scott Firth is from Illinois...

Mar 3, 2013, 10:43 PM

You missed my point. I'm talking about team chemistry.

How does the fact that Scott Firth is from Illinois...

Mar 3, 2013, 10:47 PM

have anything to do with team chemistry? He's a senior for crying out loud; I'd think he and his teammates would get along pretty well at this point. If he were so miserable he wouldn't still be here. Do you really think these players are so narrow-minded that they can't get along with people from other states?

Re: How does the fact that Scott Firth is from Illinois...

Mar 3, 2013, 10:57 PM

I think so. It's not about being narrow minded- I could just associate better wit people from the South. Couldn't you?

Not necessarily...

Mar 3, 2013, 11:10 PM

I had plenty of friends from other states when I was a student. Isn't that part of going to college, learning to deal with people that aren't necessarily like you? Trust me, when these kids get out of college, they're going to have to deal with all kinds of people, whether they play pro baseball or not, but especially if they play pro ball, that's one of the most diverse sports in existence.

Re: Not necessarily...

Mar 3, 2013, 11:15 PM

What's the difference then? Why have they won 20 of the last 28 games?

Maybe because they make baseball a priority...

Mar 3, 2013, 11:20 PM

and Clemson doesn't.

better coaching***

Mar 3, 2013, 11:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Not necessarily... ]

Re: better coaching***

Mar 3, 2013, 11:24 PM

Maybe so. Good Coaches don't intentional walk hitters who are 1-11 and then keep their pitchers in after giving up four straight hits.

I wish more clemson alum/fans would understand

Mar 4, 2013, 1:03 PM

sports is about W/Ls and being a buddy with a coach doesn't make him a good coach.

all coaches reach the pt when it's time to move on and JL hit the pt a few yrs ago....

many say what coach would take this job, I'd say offer it up and watch

Maybe, because they have always been good in Baseball….

Mar 4, 2013, 1:02 AM [ in reply to Re: Not necessarily... ]

so it really shouldn't be a surprise when a good program has a period of success over your team. Just look at Steve Spurriers record vs FSU when he was at Florida, he was 5-7 against the Noles. Did that make the Gators a bad team, no. It was just that both teams were good, but FSU was just a little bit better.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So your stating that in the year 2013, they are people so...

Mar 4, 2013, 12:58 AM [ in reply to Re: The fact that Scott Firth is from Illinois... ]

closed minded that they can't relate or get along with a person from a different part of the country. I hope we have players better than that. And if SCU has those kind of players, I say let them keep them. By the way, if those SCU players chose SCU because they can only get along with people from their own region, then they will never make it in the MLB. In the MLB not only do you play with player from different parts of the country, you're playing with players from different countries.

Re: The fact that Scott Firth is from Illinois...

Mar 3, 2013, 10:44 PM [ in reply to The fact that Scott Firth is from Illinois... ]

Because those sports give full scollys. It does matter in baseball when you're asking a family to foot the bill for out of state tuition!

If the family is willing to foot the bill...

Mar 3, 2013, 10:50 PM

then why should it matter? In fact, if a family is willing to make the sacrifices necessary for its son to play baseball at Clemson and pay the out-of-state tuition then we should be grateful to them for making the sacrifice, not criticizing them.

Re: If the family is willing to foot the bill...

Mar 3, 2013, 11:08 PM

Man yall are really missing the point. I appreciate anyone who would play for our school. I'm only criticizing Legget's approach to recruiting. Don't you think maybe we'd be better off with a bunch of Southern boys on our team? Isn't that what makes the Gamecocks so good? I mean they did win two straight championships.

The Gamecocks also have players that are out-of-state...

Mar 3, 2013, 11:14 PM

in fact, Christian Walker was from PA. Jackie Bradley Jr was from Virginia. Most of Clemson's players ARE from the south, unless you consider Georgia and Florida non-Southern states. You need to get out more often.

Re: The Gamecocks also have players that are out-of-state...

Mar 3, 2013, 11:21 PM

HAHAHAH I get out too much. And I do consider Florida a non Southern state.

They get upset about the out of state players, because….

Mar 4, 2013, 12:53 AM [ in reply to The fact that Scott Firth is from Illinois... ]

they see some kid at their local high school play good in high school and they think that will translate into college success. Often times that's not the case. And Leggett doesn't recruit said kid, and they get their panties in a wad.

They look at the Wingo kid not being recruited by us, and SCU getting him, and think that means something. Sure, Wingo had his moments, but it's much easier to have moments when your team is less dependent upon you and you have other talented players that the opposing team is more concerned with. The player we had at Wingo's position was much better and was a vital player to us. Wingo wasn't a vital player to SCU, he was just a role player. They could have stuck a number of players into Wingo's spot and would have gotten the same results.

Also, a lot of Clemson fans fail to realize that SCU basically has open tryouts for kids that have small school offers. But, SCU strings along these players into believing they have chance to make the team. When, in fact, SCU's intention is too see how many gems they can squeeze out of all the instate players that aren't being recruited by big time programs. Take that into account, and you can see why it's easier for SCU to stay stocked up.

Question is, does our University and fans want to use lies in finding gems in less highly recruited players?

and 12-15 years ago the baseball team was really good...

Mar 4, 2013, 12:41 AM [ in reply to Re: It's NOT "mostly Northerners"... ]

with those northerners. Thing is SCU has to recruit in state, they can't recruit nationally like us.

HUH?

Mar 6, 2013, 7:09 AM

Me thinks you don't know what you are talking about.

We've had players from California (james Darnell) Pennsylvania, Virginia, Florida, Ohio, New York, etc on our rosters for years.

and when you win back to back national titles, you can recruit nationally - SHOULD YOU CHOOSE to do so.

Well white trash usually hangs around white trash***

Mar 4, 2013, 12:39 AM [ in reply to Recruiting ]

Are Rhode Island and Pennsylvania part

Mar 5, 2013, 9:13 AM [ in reply to Recruiting ]

of SC? This is where usEc's 2 best regular position players were from in recent years

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Many problems, no one fixing them.***

Mar 3, 2013, 10:35 PM

Re: Many problems, no one fixing them.***

Mar 3, 2013, 10:48 PM

Don't know much about the plans for baseball at Clemson do you. After this season the entire field will be leveled installing French drains and removing the catch basins. A three story upgrade and addition will tremendously improve our players facilities to get on par with most other programs in the area. It will be hard to catch up with the facilities at usuc, but they are heavily in debt and we prefer to pay up front.

money and support arent the whole blame.

Mar 3, 2013, 11:31 PM

A Championship calliber coach is.

If we had Tanner when we sent some of our teams to Omaha we would have had a few titles too. WIn one title the snowball begins to roll, win another its realy rolling, go back and almost win it again, it a huge snowball by now.

One so big Jack L. cant slow down.

My 2 cents.

SC kicked our teeth in before they had their new stadium.
Its been a 10 year thing. every since tanner got rolling.

Our best hope is that the new guy cant keep it going once it slips and we get Vandys coach.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tim Corbin hasn't won anything.***

Mar 3, 2013, 11:33 PM

IMO its Football->Basketball->Baseball->any other sport

Mar 3, 2013, 11:34 PM

Clemson is in no doubt a football school. If the basketball team is decent then theres fan support. The same is said about South Carolinas baseball support, I dont know how supportive their fanbase was of their baseball program before they started winning championships, but I assure you it wasnt as much support as they have now. My point being that a lot (if not most) support comes from winning.

Also, are you saying we now have to replace Doug Kingsmore, along with Littlejohn?? ;)

Live in cootlumbia area, and before their national titles...

Mar 4, 2013, 1:06 AM

the coots had a passionate, but very small baseball fan base. There are a lot of Johnny Come Latelies for the coots.

Disagree again

Mar 6, 2013, 7:12 AM

Sat at Sarge Frye many times in the last 15 years where there were 5,000 in the stands for SEC contests.

South Carolina has always had a stong baseball fanbase - even back in the 1970s when we were playing for national titles in Omaha.

of course when you win national titles- you are going to draw even more fans- but of course our baseball team has been the strongest team in the country over the past 3 years so of course that helps.

That's the problem Basketball should be our number 2 sport..

Mar 4, 2013, 12:38 AM

and not Baseball. Sorry baseball fans, but you also know that it's a true statement. The only money makers in college sports are Football and Basketball. That's why our lack of commitment to a quality Basketball program has limited us from making even more money. We have passionate fans, now if the school and fan base would push to have quality Basketball program we could easily become a good one. It's easier to build a quality Basketball program. Basically, you need is an arena and a commitment to being successful.

Mar 4, 2013, 7:09 AM

I was under the impression that out of state athletes receive in state tuition rates that way the overall cost of scholarships paid for by the athletic department is reduced. The chemistry issue might be a problem but its not because of where the players come from. Every school has players from different parts of the country and in some cases world.

Re: Problem with Leggett

Mar 4, 2013, 10:08 AM

Jack's problem is his butt is puckered so tight he nor his players have any fun on the field. He doesn't realize it is a game. Just look at the talent you have had over the last 15 years. The difference in the rivalry was not talent. His antics get in the way of coaching. Perfect example was Friday night running down the line to protest a call and hanging the baserunner out to dry.

Re: They get upset about the out of state players, because….

Mar 4, 2013, 2:33 PM

Wingo was a role player? HAHAHA... Team captain, CWS MVP, and had a GREAT senior season. I guess anybody can do it... Right?

Baseball is #2? What about golf and soccer?

Mar 4, 2013, 2:40 PM

Maybe baseball is #4, but still ahead of basketball?

No they have closet fans who come out once in a while when

Mar 5, 2013, 9:02 AM

they win and no it was never even, Clemson has always been above SCar until the last 2 years. The facilities are a result of the need to spend SEC money provided by Bama and LSU and to replace that joke of a field they used to play on.Now as far as USC I dont keep up with west coast sports too much.

LOL***

Mar 6, 2013, 7:10 AM

Winning does wonders for any sports: additionally, the

Mar 6, 2013, 7:55 AM

fact that they are in Columbia with a built-in large fanbase of grads and non-grads has helped their attendance. Again, I believe the success or failure of any endeavor is traceable up to the top, and in collegiate sports, that lineage includes the staff, administration and the BOT. The obvious questions relating to Clemson athletics: what are our priorities and how much emphasis are we willing to invest in those priorities?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic