Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Under BCS Clemson would be left out
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

Under BCS Clemson would be left out

Nov 24, 2019, 9:52 AM

The CFP was built specifically to avoid what would have happened this year. Under BCS, I think they would have selected LSU vs Ohio State and left out the undefeated reigning national champion. It would have been a monster debate for sure.

That said, I really don't care who gets in at number 4. If the intent of the playoffs is to avoid leaving out an arguable national champion, does anyone at number 5+ this year have that argument? If you look at everyone below three, is there anyone you think has a good chance of beating two of Clemson, Ohio State, or LSU? Looking at the list, I can't really find someone playing well enough right now to make that claim.

I'm assuming the top three will play out, and that may very well not be the case. Go Tigers.

Message was edited by: vanwirtp®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Number 5+ never has a chance imo

Nov 24, 2019, 9:55 AM

Walt Deputla can try and filibuster me with the TCU argument but we would have rolled them too.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Under BCS Clemson would be left out

Nov 24, 2019, 10:03 AM

It's not a given that we would be left out. Each of the top teams still has two games remaining before the final selection. The favored team doesn't always win; that's why we play the game. There still may be only one or two undefeated teams after conference championship games are played. It's very rare to have three undefeated teams at the end, but the reason there's a four team playoff is exactly because of that rare occasion.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Under BCS Clemson would be left out

Nov 24, 2019, 10:40 AM

1. If you haven't noticed, the regular season is not over yet.

2. Honestly, now that the Playoff era is here, all the previous BCS Championships are tainted. I'm not trying to take accomplishments away from those teams in the past, but it is obvious that many of those Champions were just handed a spot in the final and probably would have been beat by a #3 or #4 team on many occasions. #ItJustMeansLess

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Really about numbers 4+

Nov 24, 2019, 11:16 AM

Yes, I know that the season is not over. I stipulated that in the original post. I think Ohio State and LSU could get beat. I think if Clemson plays to their standard, we have the best chance of the three to win out.

The BCS reference was just to show why we have a four-team CFP system. Not sure I can get worked up about numbers 4,5, etc., as it seems there are less than four teams that could win the national championship at this time. These last two weeks will be interesting to see who gets number 4 but I don't think that team will be a big threat to win it all. It is college football though, so anything can happen. (And often does.)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great Point About BCS

Nov 24, 2019, 11:57 AM

I won't go so far as to say; "championships are tainted" but I do think you see: "college football has always left worthy teams out"!
It's not a new thing in FBS to have left out a deserving team going back to the turn of the century when all the sports writers were in the current "rust belt". Your teams from the major markets & Army were powers. Some of the blue-bloods have fashioned their reputations over the years from an this antiquated way of deciphering a champion.

Would there be a team this season who will be outside the top 4? No. My reasoning OP is: many seasons in what we call FBS now(use to be Division I) you had to go undefeated just to be considered. Not every season(for the technical) but most seasons. It's hard to win a football game even if you have better players. Keeping everyone dialed in enough to go execute "is difficult"! So the argument about SOS is a bit "meh" to me. Especially because of the pre-season rankings that can afford to be subjective as they are seen as "harmless"! They really aren't though - because it gives teams credit sometimes they don't deserve. For beating a ranked opponent that might end up being hot garbage.

So - only Clemson, LSU and Ohio State have gone undefeated in FBS. No arguments there. Now the messy part. If a CONFERENCE CHAMP only has 1 loss - they should be in. Alabama - won't be a conference champion. The only way for them to get in (or only way they should be able to get in is if it happens like it did in 2017 where Big 10 champs had 2 losses). IF BOTH THE PAC 12 AND BIG 12 CHAMP HAS 2 LOSSES OR MORE - ALABAMA SHOULD BE IN.

Otherwise - you look at the conference with a champion that only has 1 loss.

**Georgia even if they beat LSU(won't happen) should not be in out of Utah and Baylor(especially Baylor who lost to a ranked opponent). Oklahoma either who lost to an unranked opponent at the time. I think K-State maybe ranked now! They should get in before Georgia going off who they lost to(7-4 KSU vs. 4- 7 SC). Utah lost to Southern Cal but all of a sudden the Trojans are humming and playing their best ball!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic