Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Really Clemson!!!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Really Clemson!!!

Mar 8, 2020, 3:48 PM

The SEC who I loath can at least treat the state of SC like a first class citizen and have a hoops tourney there. But not Swoff. Never an ACC hoops event in the state of a founding member and about 90% of them have been in Greensboro actually. And Clemson continues to tolerate this? Why ???

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Really Clemson!!!

Mar 8, 2020, 4:03 PM

Greensboro is much more of a central location for the league.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 8, 2020, 4:08 PM

Greenville is a negligible difference in distance for the 5 members traveling the furthest (over 500 miles).

Your point is valid, but it shouldn't be the overriding factor every time.

I would guess it has more to do with the bidding process than anything else. But I haven't read up on it.

Mar 8, 2020, 4:16 PM

Greensboro is ACC headquarters and for years was THE ONLY PLACE the ACC tourney was held. Attended every tourney held there for 30 years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 8, 2020, 4:35 PM

I’ve been to my share too. But I live 90 minutes away! I expect, as RW suggests, that money is involved also.

Mar 8, 2020, 4:36 PM

isn't this because we still have a confederate flag flying on statehouse grounds?

Mar 8, 2020, 6:59 PM

My point is they can move event everywhere except to SC. It has been that way for long b4 the flag thing. Just get tired of the state always being overlooked

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No!

Mar 8, 2020, 7:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Really Clemson!!! ]

There is not a Confederate Flag flying on the Statehouse Grounds.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: No!

Mar 8, 2020, 8:03 PM

Greensboro and Charlotte have much larger arenas. Tickets must be divided between 15 schools. Schools use those tickets to reward large donors. Schools want as many ticket as they can get. The Greenville arena seats @12,000+.
The arenas in Charlotte and Greensboro seat 18-20,000. Charlotte and Greensboro can afford to enter much higher bids than Greenville. The SEC Women’s Tournament is in Greenville for the second or third time and they are satisfied with the smaller capacity.

Re: No!

Mar 8, 2020, 8:07 PM

Commissioner Swofford is an ACC employee. He works for the University Presidents and does not get a vote on the location of ACC events.

Bon secours arena can seat 15k for basketball

Mar 8, 2020, 8:47 PM [ in reply to Re: No! ]

Yes smaller than Charlotte and Greensboro, but Barclays in Brooklyn is only 2500 seats more and its been held there.

Mar 9, 2020, 12:59 AM

The state of NC has hosted 53 of the 67 tournaments played.

Greensboro has hosted 27 if those 53.

According to internet sources, Barclay's has a 19-20K capacity and hosted twice. I remember every ACC fan who commented being upset at the lack of any type of community engagement in Brooklyn. The ACC wanted to make a splash in the great basketball town of Brooklyn prior to the kickoff of the ACCN but New Yorkers largely ignored the entire event.

The tourney was in Charlotte in 2019, Greensboro in 2020, moving to DC in 2021 and Brooklyn in 2022.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic