Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
why is there 2 signing days, why not just have 1
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

why is there 2 signing days, why not just have 1

Dec 17, 2019, 10:44 AM

and then you can sign any day after that day. Seems silly to have a signing day and then another one like 2 months later. Instead of keeping the latter when they created the early date, they should have just eliminated it. You could still have no contact periods, but the recruit could simply sign at anytime.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They want to have a secondary date so they can make a

Dec 17, 2019, 10:46 AM

big deal out of it.

my thought too, didnt know if there was any real reason

Dec 17, 2019, 10:48 AM

nm

Re: my thought too, didnt know if there was any real reason

Dec 17, 2019, 10:57 AM

Well, I think there really are reasons, but how good is another question. I think the early signing date is in place for a couple of reasons, primarily. 1 is it allows those folks to sign on and enter school early getting a head start on the upcoming season. 2 it supposedly takes pressure off of guys who are being hounded every day by schools they don't want to be bothered by. Just my opinion, but the added drama and hype for the kids and the schools is a factor, too, I'm sure.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: my thought too, didnt know if there was any real reason

Dec 17, 2019, 11:08 AM

Early enrollees have always been able to sign in December.

no they enrolled early but did not

Dec 17, 2019, 11:10 AM

Officially sign unyil feb

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: why is there 2 signing days, why not just have 1

Dec 17, 2019, 10:58 AM

there really isn't a "signing day", there is a "signing period". most kids just sign on the first day of the signing period. the early signing day was designed for kids who planned to enroll early and/or kids who knew where they wanted to go and wanted to end the recruiting process. it morphed into most kids signing in the Dec period, with the majority of kids who sign in feb being the late bloomer types waiting for a better offer and some of the kids who announce at the all star games.
even though the feb period has become anticlimactic for the most part, it is still a big deal for the media.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think we all know the history and reason for having early

Dec 17, 2019, 11:03 AM

period. The question was why do they keep the 2nd period and not simply allow a recruit to sign anytime after Wednesday? Why are recruits forced to wait an extra 1.5-2 months if they dont sign this week? Is there a real reason or is it just for hype?

Dec 17, 2019, 10:59 AM

There were a couple thoughts behind it..
1) Gets the pressure off the kid so they can finish up their senior year without being hounded by coaches and recruiters.
2) Allows the university to have them signed on so they don't technically have to continue to recruit the kid until February.
3) Early Enrollment
I know some of these have obvious counter arguments, I'm just relaying some of the facts I've found because I had the same question.

thats not the question, the question is why have 2

Dec 17, 2019, 11:07 AM

why not say you can sign anytime after X day whether it be Dec or Jan or Feb

Dec 17, 2019, 11:08 AM

The original thought was that the early signing day (actually 3 days) would be a smaller group of players that are ready to shut things down.

It was also meant to help coaches manage rosters more easily by having a 100% confirmation from a portion of their class.

I think everybody was shocked in the first year when such a huge number of players signed early.

I think it's a good thing that you can't sign again after December until February because it prevents kids from having buyer's remorse.

If a kid goes on an official visit in January and was able to sign, there would likely be huge pressure to sign while on the visit. It's much better for the athletes to have to wait and weigh their options when they are slightly removed from the initial high of a visit to a school.

Now that makes sense, thanks

Dec 17, 2019, 11:11 AM

great poast

Staffs around the country prolly don’t want to work

Dec 17, 2019, 11:09 AM

24/7, 7 days a week.

Lazy b a s t a r d s.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2019, 11:12 AM

Dec 16 to Jan 16 is a dead period. Coaches can't have contact with prospects during this time.

and you could keep it that way

Dec 17, 2019, 11:14 AM

just allow the player to initiate contact. I think post by TigersO hits the answer

"are" there....

Dec 17, 2019, 11:46 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic