Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
CFP Committee wrong again with Utah
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

CFP Committee wrong again with Utah

Dec 6, 2019, 9:56 PM

not surprised

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: CFP Committee wrong again with Utah

Dec 6, 2019, 9:58 PM

Yup and i was right all along.... again

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Further demonstrates that the CFP's ability to pick the

Dec 6, 2019, 10:03 PM

4 "best" teams is a total farce, and the glaring need for a legitimate playoff that rewards those who win their way in and disqualifies losers for losing. I don't even know why that much is in question by anybody.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Isn't that what happens?

Dec 7, 2019, 7:25 AM

Utah lost, so they won't be in, right? Am I missing something? They were outside looking in and had to win to get in. They didn't and they won't. What's the problem?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

not so fast, grasshopper. they’re currently within 8.***

Dec 6, 2019, 10:58 PM

nevermind.

Dec 6, 2019, 11:40 PM

why wrong?

Dec 6, 2019, 10:59 PM

Oregon was never a bad team. Could easily be 12-0

Dec 6, 2019, 11:46 PM

These are all perfect examples of why an 8 team playoff would just dilute the whole darn thing. 4 teams are enough. IMHO of course.

Dec 7, 2019, 11:04 AM

Absolutely correct Doc! There are actually about 4 play-off games today (quarter finals). We lose we are out, Oklahoma loses they are out, UGA loses they are out. With a win, all or at least two of those teams are likely in. And quire frankly, only the best two teams in college football have to be in the mix to determine the national champion.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 6, 2019, 11:48 PM

4 words for committee - THREE TEAM ROUND ROBIN

I'm begging you - nobody matters other than OSU/LSU/CLEM

What if all three end up 1-1 in your round robin??***

Dec 7, 2019, 12:01 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What if all three end up 1-1 in your round robin??***

Dec 7, 2019, 12:03 AM

Lol

Dec 7, 2019, 12:19 AM [ in reply to What if all three end up 1-1 in your round robin??*** ]

good point - all ties go to the defending national champs, similar to the Ryder Cup. Easy peasy!

In all seriousness, these semi-final games have been wretched and I think OKLA/BAYLOR will get crushed. I think OSU beats BAYLOR by 35+ in all honesty

Part of me wants UGA to win because they are at least legit. That would force a #1 OSU v. #4 LSU and #2 CLEM v #3 UGA matchup. I think that's the tigers best scenario because I think they'd handle UGA relatively easily

UGA lost to the gamecocks, they’re the least legit one loss team***

Dec 7, 2019, 12:22 AM

Dec 7, 2019, 9:18 AM [ in reply to What if all three end up 1-1 in your round robin??*** ]

Then you decide the winner on penalty kicks.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2019, 9:20 AM

For a second I thought you were going to say field goals instead of penalty kicks.
We in trouble if its field goals! LOL

Dec 7, 2019, 10:08 AM [ in reply to What if all three end up 1-1 in your round robin??*** ]

Then you give it to the SEC team beacuse SEC.

They’re wrong on UGA too***

Dec 7, 2019, 12:20 AM

what makes them wrong? They rank on results

Dec 7, 2019, 3:19 AM

They don’t forecast what might happen. Simply how do they rank based on what has happened.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: what makes them wrong? They rank on results

Dec 7, 2019, 3:36 AM

I have a huge feeling that a lot of fans don't understand the CFP. A lot of fans complain that Clemson isn't ranked #1 because Clemson won LAST year's national championship. Well the CFP doesn't go off last years results they go off these years. (MANY PEOPLE WILL NOW COMPLAIN OR GIVE ME THUMBS DOWN B/C THAT WOULDN'T HAPPEN TO ALABAMA). Before you go and give me thumbs down hold up. This year has been the worst in terms of SOS that Clemson has produced to date and yes we can agree that the SEC is given a free pass on some teams that shouldn't in the top 25 or top 10 but they are there and I think it's b/c they would basically 8 national championships in a row before the CFP began giving them the SEC SEC SEC banter that they recieve.

Now after saying all of that. The committee hasn't gotten it wrong. Did you or myself thing Utah was that big of a force? no.. but since they haven't played really anybody and the defensive numbers we all poked our heads out of the hole like a groundhog to see what exactly their defense was (go back to previous post talking about their D or the talking heads). We saw tonight that the pac12 isn't one of the four best teams. BUT we have to have these games first even if we think of them and know what the outcome could be. Me personally put money on this game and won b/c I thought Oregon would win this game b/c Utah really hasn't played anybody.

Which to Clemson fans we see how this team has progressed throughout the season and know what we are capable of with the previous seasons of championships b/c we watch our team more closely. We could win another natty or we could lose I'm putting my money on another win b/c I think we are a more complete team but I can't fault the committee for putting the Utes at #5 when even I didn't think there were in the end number 5.

I just think we are in a season where they are really only two or three clear cut good football teams. and Clemson could be the great team and blow all these other good teams out of the water. The great thing about it is we are having these back and forth talks about teams deserving of talks about being playoff teams instad of talks about not making a bowl or hoping not for a crappy bowl.

Actually, they go off perceptions formed in the preseason

Dec 7, 2019, 6:19 AM

And let them stew for 13-14 weeks. When programs don't play one another, then 'eye-test' and 'conference strength' are irrelevant terms. That said, one of the worst metrics the CFP uses to justify their rankings is wins against ranked teams...when there are no rankings. Rankings are why the CFP was formed, to remove the bias...and yet...the beat...goes...on.

Clemson enters the season and each game differently than most programs. That works against favorable perception and fosters a narrative. Kudos to Cristobal for saying Oregon won't change its' scheduling practices...yet the first game of the year put them behind the 8-ball, unjustifiably so...except for the preseason pouring of the perception foundation. A system that eliminates a program in Week/Month One is a terrible set-up.

The 4-team playoff is an anaconda choking out the college game and creating a very small group of legit qualifiers. The signs are everywhere...check the recruiting...look at regular season attendance...and how about those bowl game crowds? Be thankful Clemson is in that bucket, because getting there, otherwise, would be darn near impossible. Rest assured, if Clemson wasn't at current levels...folks would clamor for change...but at present, the Tigers are a 'one percenter', so it's all okay, right?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2019, 6:50 AM [ in reply to Re: what makes them wrong? They rank on results ]

In my opinion the committee goes 100% on eye test for whatever games, highlights, snippets of games or analysis that a particular committee member might catch. Then they come up with some reason to justify how they ranked them. At the start of the committee rankings this year they literally had a different explanation for the to 5 teams. One was the eye test, another was best wins, another was most complete, another was metrics, and another was, well just because they are Alabama.

I hear so much talk about how do we fix things and never hear the easiest solution to part of the problem. MAKE IT PUBLIC. Either publish a video recording of the deliberations or put out a verbatim transcript of EVERYTHING that was said or written in their meetings. We should be able to know how they formulate their opinions. Maybe then we could understand why there is absolutely no consistency in their explanations.

Dec 7, 2019, 8:43 AM [ in reply to Re: what makes them wrong? They rank on results ]

BT - what you and the CFPC do not understand is that CLEMSON is legit #1, and UGA is legit far below #4 based on these freaking eye-tests that they use. They are blind or just have no idea about the game of football if they cannot see better than they see. The SEC is so over-rated, from before the pre-season and it continues throughout the entire season. ACC teams with 9-3 records are considered out of the Top 25 while SEC teams with similar records are in the Top 15. It is based on their preconceived rankings that the SEC is all that tough. UF had to struggle with uofsuc (if anyone actually watched that game) and Auburn struggled with a 2-loss Oregon (if anyone actually watched that game), but wow, the SEC remains highly ranked overall. The CFPC needs to actually watch some games to understand that the SEC is just another P5 conference and their crap stinks as much as the other P5 conferences does.

Dec 7, 2019, 9:19 AM [ in reply to Re: what makes them wrong? They rank on results ]

Is there a TLDR version of that book?

Dec 7, 2019, 7:20 AM

Stupid after the fact post. Why didn't you post this before last night's game?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2019, 7:54 AM

how were they wrong? Utah was not going to the CFP based on the rankings, and they still aren't going to the CFP, based on the rankings.

Dec 7, 2019, 8:55 AM

Last night the game looked like both teams belong in Group of 5... Looked like any 1-4 would have destroyed them...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2019, 11:08 AM

Any thing doing with Ken Hatfield gonna be SH!tty

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic