Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Re-watched the National Championship from last season
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Re-watched the National Championship from last season

Jun 23, 2020, 11:05 AM

For probably the third time...

What a masterful coaching job by Clemson staff...

I do believe LSU had the better team..
But had Skalski not gone out and Higgins not been so banged up - it could’ve very well been a different outcome ...

When Bama beat us 45-40 ...I truly believe we had the better team - but due to some trickeration by Saban and probably a squad with more championship experience..Saban pulled out the win...

We could’ve seen a similar outcome with just a few breaks (LSU losing but with a better squad) - it was 28-25 ... Skalski was ejected and Higgins headed to the locker room...those two in the game and healthy.. who knows..

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Re-watched the National Championship from last season

Nov 5, 2016, 9:37 PM

Yes I’m aware Higgins came back in- but I don’t believe he was at 100%...

Side note - I generally never re-watch losses but it’s pretty slim pickings for sports to watch these days... obviously

I would watch soccer before I re-watched that game

Jun 23, 2020, 11:12 AM

and I will never, ever watch soccer.

Because soccer sucks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

not even for "kicks"?***

Jun 23, 2020, 11:13 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: not even for "kicks"?***

Jun 23, 2020, 1:07 PM

For the Dad Joke ...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

I watched English league Rugby the other day, not bad when

Jun 23, 2020, 11:52 AM [ in reply to I would watch soccer before I re-watched that game ]

I started to understand the game.

Yes, Rugby and Australian football are both

Jun 23, 2020, 11:54 AM

fun to watch and they crush people. It's not like those purse swinging soccer wusses who fall down and roll around on the ground like they're leg is about to fall off because someone looked at them in a mean way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

When you mentioned the "purse-swinging", I thought

Jun 23, 2020, 1:09 PM

you may be talking about Duke basketball. But, then you added "soccer" ...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

WRONG BORED MORANS!

Jun 23, 2020, 1:27 PM

This is football- not soccer bored. Hth

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Try Gaelic football sometime

Jun 23, 2020, 12:06 PM [ in reply to I watched English league Rugby the other day, not bad when ]

It's pretty awesome as well. Huge hits, high scoring.

Is the phonetical spelling of Gaelic

Jun 23, 2020, 1:15 PM

Something that might alarm FMs fon?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

how do you feel about our chances winning the National

Jun 23, 2020, 11:12 AM

Championship this year?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You mean

Jun 23, 2020, 11:17 AM

how does he feel about us winning IF games are played, right GWPTiger®?

Re: Chances this season..

Jun 23, 2020, 11:25 AM

Duly noted that an actual season seems to be less likely by the day...

However - assuming we have a season ..,
I challenge anyone on this board or elsewhere to tell me a team that can beat us?

I don’t see one...not on our schedule or elsewhere in the country...

Listen Venables is Venables - and with the influx of d-line talent ... good luck scoring a bunch of points against us...

TLaw isn’t going to make a Tim Tebow esque promise in the media ...but you better believe he’s fired up ... as is ETN ....kid didn’t come back to lose ...So again good luck stopping our offense....

And for any lurking buckeyes ... you and your coaches, players etc have talked so much junk about that game you lost last year ...
You really really don’t want to see us in the playoffs - Dabo will have all that chatter on a loop in the locker room... it will be a “leave no doubt” game... I’ve seen this play out too many times with Dabo and staff...

You're right.

Jun 23, 2020, 11:50 AM

I know you weren't asking me, but I put our chances at 100% certainty.

I know you weren't asking me, but I put our chances

Jun 23, 2020, 11:18 AM [ in reply to how do you feel about our chances winning the National ]

at a level of 100% certainty.

We lost to Bama when Mack went out.

Jun 23, 2020, 11:18 AM

No fly zone got grounded.

Sad.

Re: We lost to Bama when Mack went out.

Jun 23, 2020, 11:32 AM

Yes. And Dabo suspended Caine and Lakip before the game. Losing Lakip cost Clemson dearly. Heugel not as strong with the kickoffs and Drake returned one for a touchdown. Throw in an onside recovery, and there's your ballgame.

Wasn't Lawson out that game as well? Got hurt in OK game.***

Jun 23, 2020, 7:45 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 23, 2020, 11:31 AM

I’ve rewatched 3 times as well. Skalski ejection was a turning point and Tee’s interference call to take the TD away was the nail in the coffin.

My other take away was how our WRs couldn’t seem to get open... and we quit on the run game.

LSU was better and Joe B had a level of accuracy I don’t know if I’ve seen before in college.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 23, 2020, 11:34 AM

Agreed on the Higgins PI call...That hurt ...
It was offensive PI .. but probably no less than some of the offensive PI from LSU receivers ...

Call it both ways ...or don’t call it at all I say...

Jun 23, 2020, 11:32 AM

I havent rewatch any of the losses in CFP games. I do frequently revisit the wins though

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And just think about it, what grade would you give our

Jun 23, 2020, 11:47 AM

offense in the OSU and LSU games. I'd say we were at about a C for both games. Yet we won one game and hung in there for 3 qtrs in the other. I'd say defensively given our personnel we were at a B grade. Without a dominant defensive line its hard to win those games. But we did all we could do. We rushed LBs and sometimes safeties, leaving corners on islands withe really good QB's and WR's. And like you said almost pulled out a shocker over LSU. But too many key players going down killed us. LSU made the plays when they had to have them and we didn't. OSU we made the plays and they choked it out. All in all a great, gritty, season.

And, and (boo me) but JoeB was on his normal A game and

Jun 23, 2020, 11:55 AM

Trevor was NOT,..

plus our receivers were not getting open often (credit LSU DB’s) & we quit running it last 1 1/2 quarters.

Saying, LSU won it square & fair plus beat record 8 teams ranked in Top 10 which is unheard of..

while Clemson’s 29 & 1 record over 2 full seasons including 4 tough play-off games with high quality teams is unheard of too!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Burrow was definitely as advertised. Great Player.***

Jun 23, 2020, 1:06 PM

I can't watch it due to offense pass interference (or lack)

Jun 23, 2020, 12:07 PM

LSU WRs were sneaky with the little push off before many of the long pass plays. That's all I can focus on over and over. Then the calls against Clemson's WRs. Sour grapes for me.

Our offense needed to keep their foot on the gas. Too many missed opportunities and poor 3rd down conversion (especially compared to prior year performance).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I can't watch it due to offense pass interference (or lack)

Jun 23, 2020, 1:22 PM

I have only re-watched up through the 28-25 point in the game. But to me, there was a coaching failure on our part. ETN was very effective on the ground and at the end it felt like we never really went back to him. But the game was closer than it appeared until the mid-4th quarter. The LSU guy's hand out of bounds - if called probably stalls that drive. The Higgins OPI that was not and it was a TD. LSU probably still wins a barn-burner game but closer than it really ended up being.

And I'll say this (boo me if you want), I think OSU was a better match-up for LSU. OSU DBs would have been more successful vs LSU WRs than our guys were. Not saying OSU was better than Clemson - obviously not, we played and we won. But that matchup could have favored OSU. Its all about matchups on the field.

Jun 23, 2020, 1:47 PM

TL was missing targets and without the passing game spacing the D, ETN was less effective. Almost any decent SEC D can limit a run-offense. Take a look at the little/no gains by ETN from 2nd to 3rd. Particularly short passes. Give LSU credit, they sniffed that out and then missing our normal large chunk passing game, it was tough sailing. Go back to the 1st, early 2nd and hitting Ross/Higgins/Galloway and then having ETN cut gaps is how we score.

Our one glimmer was the PI call on Higgins but even that throw was woefully under-thrown.

Jun 23, 2020, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Re: I can't watch it due to offense pass interference (or lack) ]

I don’t think the OSU secondary was better than ours....

As alluded to earlier in the thread - LSU WRs were great at pushing our DBs off and Burrow was great with his passing accuracy ...It’s not like our DBs were out of position - push off then a pass that’s right on the money ... it happens real quick ..credit to Burrow ...
Credit to LSU coaching staff for recognizing what wasn’t being called..

Early on our coverage looked much better...
Our DBs didn’t get worse - LSU realized what wasn’t being called and adjusted...

Jun 23, 2020, 5:14 PM

I thought the offensive coaches missed the mark on some of the play calls. Trevor was struggling in the second half while ETN had a hot hand and ton of motivation. When we were down by three in the third quarter with the ball I would’ve liked to have seen some runs. My son and I were yelling “run the ball!” in the 3rd Q and early 4th and Trevor just kept misfiring (plus a couple drops).

In any case, LSU was the better team - they win 7 out of 10 times.

Saw it live and that's it so far. Have not been able to

Jun 23, 2020, 5:59 PM

pull the trigger and watch it yet.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

plan B

Jun 24, 2020, 6:06 PM

in 2nd qtr LSU went to plan B. Base D wasn't effective so Aranda put #8 LB Queen shadowing his old buddy from HS, ETN. He hit ETN when he ran or caught short passes.

TL was against DBs that were extreme. 2 went in 2nd round, 1 is expected to go 1st or 2nd this year and 1 was AA as a Fr & has been called best non-qb player in nation next year. TL was smart to not throw INTs by forcing the ball. In the last 4 games, vs Mond, Hurts, Fromm and TL, LSU gave up total of 1 TD pass.

Jun 24, 2020, 6:42 PM

Man we missed alot of opportunities in the game... LSU capitalized on all of theirs. Joe Burrow was the better QB that night, especially when you watch it the second/third time... lots of missed blocks by receivers and backs.

example I recall: There was a play near the end of the first qtr where ETN and TL got their wires crossed in the backfield on the handoff, the hole that ETN had was massive, 88 leading the way, that was a 20 yard gain minimum... drive ends in a FG.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I appreciate your optimism, but heavily disagree.

Jun 24, 2020, 7:40 PM

I was in the stands for the game, in a packed stadium which was easily 75% pro LSU - and they were drunk, rowdy, and angry.

We (my brother and I) held out hope as long as we could. I've seen our Tigers pull out some crazy wins late (NC st, Louis, ND, heck even LSU in the old Georgia Dome, etc, etc, etc).

We were not winning that game. LSU was scoring basically at will and we couldn't stop them - much less score enough to win.

We started walking out with about 10 minutes left to go in the game because we were basically afraid of getting in a fight with some LSU trash fan(s) and going to jail.

Maybe one day we can have a home game (Charlotte?) for the natty. But no one was beating LSU last year in a home game for them for the natty.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic