Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NCAA to permit the opportunity to benefit from likeness etc
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 2,544

NCAA to permit the opportunity to benefit from likeness etc

Oct 29, 2019, 1:51 PM

per Brett McMurphy.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How about the dislikeness?

Oct 29, 2019, 1:52 PM

I want to sell dartboards of Jakey. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As long as he gets the benefit i guess***

Oct 29, 2019, 1:54 PM

Re: How about the dislikeness?

Oct 29, 2019, 3:50 PM [ in reply to Re: How about the dislikeness? ]

If I'm a golf cart salesman, then I'm jumping on the chance to sign Jake Bentley.

Link

Oct 29, 2019, 1:56 PM

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2019/10/29/ncaa-board-opens-door-athletes-use-name-image-and-likeness/2492383001/

Re: NCAA to permit the opportunity to benefit from likeness etc

Oct 29, 2019, 2:02 PM

Oct 29, 2019, 2:06 PM

Calhoun2® said:

Doubt it. I also bet that you are still under the impression that this is "pay to play"

Oct 29, 2019, 2:03 PM

Call me a cynic, but I have to wonder about the 180 degree turnabout from the NCAA. I hope that someone is going to check the bank accounts of all of the board. I think that I would trust the mid 1980's SMU boosters more right now.

this is the best possible case..

Oct 29, 2019, 2:12 PM

NCAA gets out in front of this. Updates rules and enforces them. Allows a certain amount to players.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I love this place, I've got a spot already picked out where I want 'em to put me when I die - up there on that ole hill near the stadium. I want to be there so I can hear all them people cheering my Tigers on Saturdays; then I won't have to go Heaven; I'll already be there."- Frank Howard

Re: this is the best possible case..

Oct 29, 2019, 2:28 PM

I understand the NCAA investigating how players can be compensated. I might even understand the idea of them being paid for their likeness, if there seemed to be specifics on preventing potential abuses. The announcement that they are going to allow it and make some mysterious precautions, when a month ago the arguments were the exact opposite. Seems to me that a lot of people from the NCAA were paid for their likenesses already.

Oct 29, 2019, 2:52 PM

Fairly easy to understand...One month ago California passed a law that would make it illegal for NCAA schools in the state to prohibit college athletes from making money on such activities as endorsements, autograph signings and social media advertising.

That law goes into effect in 2023 and there are dozens of other states about to sign similar legislature (including South Carolina).

The NCAA would be foolish to try to combat the government. The smartest move is to establish a system that works for everyone which NCAA is starting to draw up now.

Oct 29, 2019, 3:21 PM

Several others have introduced legislation. None are close to passing anything, much less passed it and waiting for the governor to sign it. It is very unlikely that any proposed bill similar to California's would gain any traction at all. California's bill would never stand up in court, though it could be used as a basis for an antitrust suit that might shift the power structure.

The NCAA took a very strong stance immediately following the passing of California's law. Now an about face this quickly. Many of the critics were concerned about essentially legalizing payoffs. Trying to figure out a way to compensate these young men is understandable. Jumping to a methodology that was strongly opposed a month ago is not.

Oct 29, 2019, 3:42 PM

"It is unlikely that any proposed bill similar to California's would gain any traction at all"

Where do you get that from? Florida's governor came out and said he supports similar legislation almost immediately, just as an example. I think you're off the mark here - Cali is first to make the move then other states will follow quickly in order to compete (ie not lose top talent in state to west coast--> revenue) There is even support at the federal level.

Mind you - this is not a pay for play scheme and the NCAA hasn't set anything in stone with how the system will work. They will obviously implement guardrails to ensure there are no competitive advantages awarded to well capitalized schools/states. Today's announced is just saying they will allow the athletes to profit off their name but they need to figure out how.

Oct 29, 2019, 4:05 PM

I meant to write any traction at all in South Carolina and did not proofread. It will get attention in certain states, but anything state legislatures decide would likely be irrelevant.

Constitution (Article I, Section 8, Clause 3). The clause states that the United States Congress shall have power "To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes."

Every single state can pass a bill, but the Federal government is the one that has the power to control interstate commerce.

Boosters ought to be able to pay for recruits likeness

Oct 29, 2019, 7:08 PM [ in reply to Re: this is the best possible case.. ]

untouched by the ncaa. It's only fair.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2019, 3:01 PM [ in reply to this is the best possible case.. ]

there is no best case, just a matter of time before realizing its worst potential

Oct 29, 2019, 2:52 PM

Been fun! I said a few years ago, when this happens, I’m out! Adios!!!

Oct 29, 2019, 3:02 PM

You've got a couple more years to enjoy and honestly probably 3 or 4 more after that before the "ruin"

Oct 29, 2019, 3:21 PM

So student athletes now get to pay for their own education too? Cool.

^^Clearly does not understand how this works.

Oct 29, 2019, 3:48 PM

The universities are not paying the players to play. This is so that players can profit off of 3rd party endorsements such as the NCAA video game, autograph signings, etc. No additional money will be going from the university to the student-athlete.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Oct 29, 2019, 3:50 PM

So...regulation of boosters is not addressed. This sounds like fun.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Read:

Oct 29, 2019, 3:58 PM

"Making clear that compensation for athletics performance or participation is impermissible."

"Protect the recruiting environment and prohibit inducements to select, remain at, or transfer to a specific institution."

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: Read:

Oct 29, 2019, 5:58 PM

I read. That comes nowhere near addressing the problem. It will be almost, if not completely, unenforceable.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: Read:

Oct 14, 2017, 9:37 AM [ in reply to Read: ]

"Making clear that compensation for athletics performance or participation is impermissible."
That's just semantics. Of course they're going to get paid for performance, albeit indirectly. I just don't see how they'll legislate limitations. Make no mistake, the stars will make a lot of money, and what worries everyone is that we all fear that they will make more at well-funded alumni bases than at smaller ones. I believe that we will quickly see 20 or so schools really push this and become elite simply by virtue of attracting the best talent based on their ability maximize payments. Simultaneously a bunch of schools will just as quickly become completely uncompetitive, at least in football (think of most of our ACC partners - jokes on their competitiveness this season aside). At a minimum I think the ACC will be finished as a FBS football conference.

The question will be whether Clemson can make the transition and jump to the SEC/Big 10 or will we get dragged down to oblivion with everyone else? Southern Cal will thrive, OSU will thrive, Michigan, Texas, Notre Dame... but I just don't know about lil' ole Clemson. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it. Small market schools are in big trouble.

Let the bidding wars begin!!

Oct 29, 2019, 5:08 PM

Good bye College football you will be missed

Oct 29, 2019, 6:03 PM

I guess “fan day” will be a thing of the past. Also will have to send the young un’s down on the field after the game with cash to get those autographs.

It’s the beginning of the end. Next up: paying players.

Oct 29, 2015, 2:54 PM

I heard that one reason the NCAA went forward with this was to get out in front of all the law suits. Because they will/would be coming and that the lawyers would be the ones making all the money by dragging these law suits out for a long time making them even more money.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 2,544
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic