Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
there seems to be a lot of sunshine pumping for c.b.b. in
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

there seems to be a lot of sunshine pumping for c.b.b. in

Mar 28, 2019, 2:38 PM

here.

if we accept mediocre program in any of clemsons sports that is all we will ever have.

if were not going to upgrade the basketball program then do away with it and make littlejohn

a premiere parking facility for football.

just venting on the basketball program.

go tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I haven't seen anyone here accepting mediocrity.

Mar 28, 2019, 2:40 PM

The disagreement lies in what we need to do to improve.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

wins... and specxifically quality wins

Mar 28, 2019, 2:41 PM

is where we need to improve

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You will get no disagreement on that.***

Mar 28, 2019, 2:44 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Coach by committee. Let the crowd text in plays by a mass vote.

Mar 28, 2019, 5:16 PM [ in reply to I haven't seen anyone here accepting mediocrity. ]

Save dollars, crowd can blame themselves. Everybody wins, except the team on most nights. The call in shows will be epic.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bowden had 10 years ... Brownell had 10 years

Mar 28, 2019, 2:46 PM

Decade is enough ... time to move on.

Re: there seems to be a lot of sunshine pumping for c.b.b. in

Mar 28, 2019, 2:51 PM

WHAT IPTAY LEVEL ARE YOU.

Mar 28, 2019, 2:56 PM

Perhaps we won't improve much in the ACC until Duke and UNC have new coaches due to retirement of their old ones. I don't think that is too far away either.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 28, 2019, 3:18 PM

YEP, K, ROY, HAMILTON, LARANAGO, BOEHEIM ALL IN 70'S EXCEPT ROY WHO IS 68. DID I MISSS ANYONE

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 28, 2019, 2:57 PM

THESE ARE THE POSTERS THAT GET UPSET WHEN WE ONLY BEAT THE COOTS BY 21 POINTS.THEY PROBABLY HAD BETS GIVING 30 OR 40 POINTS,AND LOST MONEY.

Mar 28, 2019, 3:24 PM

I'm curious as to your expert opinions on what needs to happen next with the basketball program. As best I can determine, Clemson has only played for an ACC title in Basketball one time in history. That was in 1990. We lost that game to Georgia Tech. That's a pretty morbid past. So to think that a coaching change is going to cause us to consistently beat Duke and UNC is pretty naive. However, we hadn't won the ACC in football for nearly 20 years when Dabo became head coach. Why didn't we have the same level of expectation there? Tommy Bowden was a nice guy but he simply couldn't get the program over the top. The general consensus was that we wanted to compete at the highest level in college football and made the necessary investments to do so. Why are we so sure we couldn't compete at that level in basketball? Florida State was deeply entrenched as "the standard for ACC football" when Dabo took over. They weren't as dominant as UNC and Duke have been in hoops but everyone knew they were going to be the team to beat year after year. Fast forward ten years and the days of Seminole dominance are a distant memory. That's remarkable! It's just sad to me, a Clemson fan since 1960 and a grad from 1977 that we don't even aspire to that level of success in basketball. Were we wrong to have encouraged Tommy Bowden's exit? If not, why are we so sure doing the same with Brad Brownell would be a mistake? It's not like the college football world was clamoring to hire Dabo. We were ridiculed by the "yardbirds" as having hired a cheerleader who knew precious little about the "X's and O's." Now they wish they had they own "cheerleader coach." At this level, coaches need to be great recruiters and great motivators. I'm not sure I see either in BB, though he is a nice guy who has kept the program on solid footing. If that's all we can achieve, let's quit stressing about it and move on. I, for one, believe we can do better, just as I did when Tommy Bowden was coaching. But then, that's just my opinion and I'm certainly no expert. Help me see where I'm wrong. Thanks in advance for the enlightenment! Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 28, 2019, 3:39 PM

Just some fact checking -- Ga Tech played Virginia in 1990. We played UNC in 2008 in Charlotte and lost, before that it was 1962 against Wake Forrest, also a loss.

Mar 28, 2019, 4:13 PM [ in reply to Re: there seems to be a lot of sunshine pumping for c.b.b. in ]

The difference is that Clemson was about 3rd in Football expenditures (behind VT and FSU) but still close to them overall. Clemson underwent major facilities upgrades during the early 2000s that made it a top resource in conference and that trend has continued (meanwhile FSU and VT declined). Even during the unspeakable late 90s years, there was never any disinterest in football. Fan support never waned. We provided elite level resources for football and made a commitment for football first (even cut some other sports). And....

Tommy produced "meh" results with some really baffling loses (like Wake Forest!)

Brad is the EXACT opposite. Our facilities were decades behind and now are only mediocre, our investment is second to last in the ACC, fans only show up when football is bad, and we win more often than not.

Brad has not had baffling loses. (Like OP to Charlotte, or GT in the Tourney). He beat everyone we should beat and then beats most of the other mid-level teams. He just is not making us an elite program but at our level of investment, we are not an elite program.

Mar 28, 2019, 5:20 PM

So what you are saying is that Clemson is not supposed to beat elite level teams because we don't spend enough money on basketball. With that logic if we pay the coaches more money we will win some elite games next year and if we continue to pay more money we will win the ACC in about 5 years and the NCAAT in 10.

Brad has not had baffling losses?

Mar 28, 2019, 7:07 PM [ in reply to Re: there seems to be a lot of sunshine pumping for c.b.b. in ]

Blowing a 20 point lead at Littlejohn to Oakland University in the first round of the 2017 NIT comes immediately to mind. That's a bad, baffling loss in my opinion.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 28, 2019, 7:36 PM [ in reply to Re: there seems to be a lot of sunshine pumping for c.b.b. in ]

There are no "experts" in Clemson basketball, just whiners.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 28, 2019, 7:26 PM

I think you misunderstand the reference, “sunshine pumping.” We all want improvement. As Judge stated, it’s what needs to change we disagree on.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic