Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The general consensus from Buckholes is that their OL
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

The general consensus from Buckholes is that their OL

Dec 10, 2019, 10:49 AM

will simply wear our DL out over the course of the game. We seem to think that won't happen due to quality depth. In either case, I want that narrative out there over and over again so our DL will have a chip on their shoulder.

Spot the ball!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bring it don't sing it !!!!

Dec 10, 2019, 11:19 AM

This is the same nonsense we heard from the BuckNuts prior to the 2016 Fiesta Bowl and we all know how that worked-out for them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: The general consensus from Buckholes is that their OL

Dec 10, 2019, 1:30 PM

I'm not convinced they have a good OL. How many times has Fields been sacked? Almost 3 times as much as Trevor. He's got less passing yards, lower completion percent and only a few more TD's than Trevor. But I bet he's played a lot more snaps than Trevor during the season.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2019, 12:32 AM

I doubt if he's played a bunch more snaps, he didn't play past the first series of the 3rd qtr for several games. Fields does hold on to the ball for too long sometimes and they give up too many sacks. OL run blocking is as good as there is but the pass protection is suspect.

Dec 11, 2019, 10:05 AM

Total Snaps
Fields 431
Trevor 414

Dec 11, 2019, 10:25 AM [ in reply to Re: The general consensus from Buckholes is that their OL ]

I don’t know that our DL will put a ton of pressure on Fields since we run 3 lineman much of the time. Where we do a pretty good job is filling gaps with LB’s and blitzes. The DL mostly is there to hold the line. Hopefully we will be able to slow the running game down a bit but we’ll see. I expect Fields to have a good game and will probably burn our DB’s for some big plays. It may be a shootout.

The narrative that Fields, Burrow and Hurts have played significantly more than TL is just not accurate but it seems to make some fans feel better. All the top teams have blown out the competition and pulled starters early.

Ohio St plays their backups early like we do

Dec 11, 2019, 5:12 AM [ in reply to Re: The general consensus from Buckholes is that their OL ]

they are deep, we won't wear them out. The winner of this game rolls in the championship game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2019, 9:56 AM [ in reply to Re: The general consensus from Buckholes is that their OL ]

The O-Line also blocks for their run game - which is pretty good.

Dec 11, 2019, 4:58 AM

I think our DL is our team's biggest weakness. I wouldn't say we have quality depth. Our starting DL isn't that great. That said, that doesn't mean we wont play great vs the Buckeyes. Anyway, I worry about our Dline slightly. Venables knows that is our achilles heel and will come up with a great scheme and adjust.

Dec 11, 2019, 5:52 AM

I disagree Carlsbad , and here is why . In most cases our DL this year have been stout , and particularly Pinckney , Williams and Davis are really playing solid football in the middle lately . No they're not who we had last year but who is ?
Here's where I think an advantage can be found on our DL in regards to the speed and mobility of Justin Fields ( particularly when plays break down ). Thomas , Henry and Simmons on blitzes ... few teams can bring that kind of speed from that many directions ... and containing Fields will require a lot of fast guys filling lanes and staying active . We have that ability with our ends and Isaiah coming from all over the lineup .
This is an advantage for Clemson in my opinion .
Venables will tune these guys up over the next 3 weeks and when they hit the Fields... I mean field in Arizona I expect mayhem and a lot of TFL's and sacks .
I don't see our DL as a problem for us , but for OSU .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Dec 11, 2019, 6:33 AM

I think Davis is very good and he keeps getting better. I think the rest of our DT's are average. Then our DE's really don't create much pressure. I might be wrong, but I just haven't seen a dominant group. I have seen a group that needs a lot of help and can't stand on their own. I think Venables has gotten very creative to make up for it. Thank God we have Isaiah Simmons. This is Coach Venables most amazing year imo. He is the master. Anyway, maybe I am being paranoid, but I don't completely trust our DL vs quality competition. I trust coach Venables though and I think we will be a bend but dont break D in the playoff. I think Ohio State will put 28 on us. I think we will put around 40 on them though.

That is what I think too TD. XT and Henry have great speed

Dec 11, 2019, 6:41 AM [ in reply to Re: The general consensus from Buckholes is that their OL ]

off the edge. I think it will be hard for Fields to get outside like he has on so many other teams. We just cannot leave guys wide open when he does scramble. He is good at finding them. But, I have said before, Fields reminds me of Kelly when he throws. They float. I think we can get a pick or two and that will be the difference in the game I hope.

That is the key to the game...

Dec 11, 2019, 1:11 PM

Our DL is not our strength, but they’re not chopped liver either.

If OSU can run Dobbins and play keep away this will be a nail biter game which hopefully doesn’t come down to Potter.

On the other hand, Venables will absolutely sell out to stop the run so you better have a plan B ready. Its not just DL, he will roll w 3 DL and send 5 LB/S hybrids blitzing to get you in 3rd and long.

He will mix it up, but if base D is not stopping the run he will sellout to stop it. I have never seen any team consistently run on us, ever since BV has arrived.

Bama ran all over us in the Natty but not in the redzone.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember when Oklahoma beat FSU back in the day. They had

Dec 11, 2019, 9:00 PM

a linebacker named Rocky something....They blitzed FSU into submission....The DC....Brent Venables..

Dec 11, 2019, 5:54 AM [ in reply to Re: The general consensus from Buckholes is that their OL ]

I think that is a spot on assessment. Virginia had some good runs early by getting some gaps in our dline. If we did get a tackle behind the line, it was usually from the back 7 getting penetration. But as you said, Venables will make the necessary adjustments to help the dline out.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2019, 9:58 AM [ in reply to Re: The general consensus from Buckholes is that their OL ]

Our D-Line is probably in the top twenty in the nation, but they come off poorly in comparison to last year's when they were Thor - God of Thunder !!

the problem is the DL that even a triple team can not stop***

Dec 11, 2019, 5:10 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: the problem is the DL that even a triple team can not stop***

Dec 11, 2019, 6:49 AM

I worry about the backend of our defense. Muse got burned early and Simmons saved him on another deep throw. And that was against Virginia. Don’t think Ohio won’t take multiple shots and double moves where he falls prey.

Kilroy: i.m.o

Dec 11, 2019, 6:51 AM

I think we have been more than solid in today's game as far as DT play goes. I have been disappointed in our DE's and their lack of pressure so far. If we were playing a team that played how Bama and LSU played 3-4 years ago I would be super worried! Especially if those teams had good WR's and a good play action QB.
Ohio State is more of a spread option attack. They can go 12 personnel; but that's not their game! They run it more or less like we do!

When I thought we would be playing LSU - my big concern was the DE's not getting up field to get to Burrow. Now, it's more about can we cover(secondary) long enough to make Fields hold on to it "too long". I have seen them in all their big games and can say w/o question we will have easily the best team speed on defense they will have seen. It will have to show itself if we are to get to Fields and slow down the Buckeyes. No doubt we have the ability - but there are some guys who will have to step up their games!
Not an unusual thing to see happen during a bowl game! You hear about it every year where a guy just puts it all together during the bowl game. Hoping we get that from our DE's and our reserve DT's.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2019, 9:55 AM

I think that is a legitimate concern but if we get ahead early that will limit their ability to grind on us.

The OL that ALLOWED 31 sacks ? LOL

Dec 11, 2019, 10:02 AM

And that was against sloooooooooooooow BIG10 team,s, they didn't [play a P5 OOC game this year.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/468/p2

31 sacks ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dec 11, 2019, 10:02 AM

yes, that was 31 sacks ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dec 11, 2019, 10:03 AM

I'm all for using stats to our advantage, but some of those

Dec 11, 2019, 10:57 AM [ in reply to The OL that ALLOWED 31 sacks ? LOL ]

sacks came for the same reason that DW4 gets them. Which is, holding the ball till the last second, trying to extend plays with athleticism instead of just throwing the ball away.

But, Crickey, that's still a lot of bloomin' sacks! :)

Dec 11, 2019, 10:50 AM

I don't know about wearing them out but OSU's oline moves pretty well and they run a lot of outside zone. As the game goes on the counter and bash type plays work off of that and have led to a lot of big plays.

Dec 11, 2019, 12:20 PM

I'll just leave this here...feel free to take a peek and infer what you will. Here's how both teams lines look in the SP+, along with the lines of the best teams OH St played.

Dec 11, 2019, 4:11 PM

Data talks.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2019, 12:21 PM

Ohio State’s interior OL may be the best in the country. The tackles are where this is something left to be desired. In general run blocking is the units strength.

Dec 11, 2019, 12:24 PM

*might want to look at the post above you....

So do you think Clemson gets more yards per rushing attempt

Dec 11, 2019, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Re: The general consensus from Buckholes is that their OL ]

because ETN is better than Dobbins?

null

Re: So do you think Clemson gets more yards per rushing attempt

Dec 11, 2019, 1:06 PM

IMO Dobbins has reached Ezekiel Elliot level dominance within the Ohio State offense. There isn’t another running back I would take over him in the country. The RB that many consider the best is Jonathan Taylor and they have faced off many times over the years. Dobbins is clearly the superior back to Taylor. I don’t know much about Etienne and I don’t expect a Clemson fan to say they want any back over him but imo Dobbins is the best back in the country.

Re: So do you think Clemson gets more yards per rushing attempt

Dec 11, 2019, 6:19 PM

Think I'll just leave this here too:
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/907

Travis Etienne #1, Dobbins #10

So your RB and Oline are better than ours...they just CHOOSE

Dec 11, 2019, 8:05 PM [ in reply to Re: So do you think Clemson gets more yards per rushing attempt ]

to get nearly two yards less per carry and give up nearly triple the sacks?

Football is definitely different in Ohio.

null

Dec 11, 2019, 12:24 PM

Their OL is really really good probably the best they’ve had in a long time. I think our D will be up for the challenge.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2019, 3:45 PM

All the OL talk is to hide a weakness. They give up a lot of sacks/pressures and run blocking is excellent against lower tier B1G teams. Only marginal against the better teams.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2019, 5:26 PM

I’m not sure what the analytics say but Ohio State’s running game has been elite even against the top level defenses in the B1G. Running the ball is Ohio State’s strength.

Dec 11, 2019, 4:12 PM

If their OL is so good, why does Fields get sacked so much?

Dec 11, 2019, 7:55 PM

I think we will sell out to stop the run and will probably give up some big plays through the air as a result. If Fields is on it'll be a tough game but if our offense is clicking they will be forced to abandon the run and then we will be in the drivers seat. Alabama actually ran the ball pretty well on us but with us scoring every possession it didn't really matter once they started to press.

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic