Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I applaud the family of the lady portraying Aunt Jemima
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

I applaud the family of the lady portraying Aunt Jemima

Jun 20, 2020, 6:17 PM

opposing the move to change the brand. I never associated her picture as racist or demeaning. I always felt the lady made a mean pancake just like my mom.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^^ DITTO!^^^^^***

Jun 20, 2020, 6:55 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I applaud the family of the lady portraying Aunt Jemima

Jun 20, 2020, 6:58 PM

The Electric Aunt Jemima

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson

Jun 20, 2020, 7:07 PM

So....she’s a ‘93 Clemson Grad.?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2020, 7:01 PM

I agree, but perhaps the family is receiving income for the use of her likeness - which (if true) would suggest that indignity might have a price.

I always looked at Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben as pseudo family members - somewhat like the likenesses on cereal boxes. I never saw a racist connection - only a person who knew good food.

OTOH, there were people who worked as cooks for my parents and grandparents who were a couple of generations removed from slaves. I never thought of them as slaves, but as family stalwarts who were very good at what they did..... and what they did was cook some of the best food I've ever eaten anywhere. There were others who did the wash and ironed my clothes better than any dry cleaner today can duplicate. I can see where some would view their employment as demeaning, but to me they were as good as anyone I ever knew. Their standard of living was not good, but they did everything they could to improve life for their children.

I remember one household employee asking my father about the choice of schools available to her for her children. She took my father's advice.... the last I heard, one son was a MD and the other was a Col. in the US Army. I was extremely proud of not only her and her children, but of my father for caring enough to give her good advice.

We all need to the time to understand people.... who they are, what they're made of, what their dreams and potential might be and how to help the get there.

Lillian Richard's family said that they were proud of her

Jun 20, 2020, 7:14 PM

Just to clarify, Lillian Richards was the woman who protrayed her in Texas.

Message was edited by: TennesseeLadyTiger®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

stupid me

Jun 20, 2020, 7:36 PM

I always thought Aunt J. Helped bring the races closer together. I would be very surprised if anyone on this board ever thought of her as an inferior person. Get a life.

I fear that, at some point in time, we are going to hear people saying “what’s wrong with being white”?

Me get a life?

Jun 20, 2020, 7:40 PM

I was just supporting the fact that her family did not want the brand changed.

Re: Me get a life?

Jun 20, 2020, 7:56 PM

My post was not intended to mock anything that you posted. I’m sorry if it offended you in any way.

Got it...

Jun 20, 2020, 7:58 PM

I was wrong anyways. Lillian was one who portrayed her in Texas. Nancy Green was who it was based on.

Re: stupid me

Jun 20, 2020, 8:05 PM [ in reply to stupid me ]

You haven’t already been lectured to on how problematic it is that white people even exist?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jun 20, 2020, 7:52 PM

it is probably because they are being paid a royalty for her depiction. Just a guess on my part.

and it also the unhealthiest stuff on the planet. If you like syrup, get real maple syrup and not a bottle of corn syrup. You are begging for diabetes and CVOID to kill you by eating that stuff.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2020, 8:53 PM

Racist pancakes added to the Covid death toll. Numbers don't lie.

It was a compliment to great black women cooks. Now they're

Jun 20, 2020, 10:35 PM

just erasing that history too, just like erasing the great "Uncle Remus" which rival Aesop's fables.

They're burning down their neighborhoods and they're also burning up a lot of their positive history like great syrup, great rice, and great biscuits.

Sad. Very, very sad.

Jun 21, 2020, 12:44 AM

Did you read the article why they don't want Quaker Oats to change the name? It's not because they don't think it is racist. It is because they feel like they have been screwed by a white companies making a profit off of the images and the families not making a dime. He has sued Quaker Oats in the past for 3 billion dollars. I assume that some sort of royalties have been paid to someone ..... but obviously not the great grandson. He may have some sort of case, but I doubt he will be getting 3 billion!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 21, 2020, 11:16 AM

Quaker Oats made the Green lady a millionaire. Wonder what happened to all that $$

Jun 21, 2020, 5:45 AM

Great Post MyfavOrange!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 21, 2020, 8:41 AM

I didn't see it as racist either. I just thought she made amazing pancakes with great syrup.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic