Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
so, if you're the coach, how would you get the OL better?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

so, if you're the coach, how would you get the OL better?

Nov 28, 2020, 6:54 PM

just wonderin'

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

No such thing as a magic wand.

Nov 28, 2020, 6:56 PM

Experience, growth, hard work in weight room, maturity.
4 first year starters. Takes time.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so...play the scrubs when you can?***

Nov 28, 2020, 6:57 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Why, at this point in the development of...

Nov 28, 2020, 7:16 PM [ in reply to No such thing as a magic wand. ]

this football program, after FIVE CFP APPEARANCES IN A ROW and TWO NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS do we have FOUR FIRST YEAR STARTERS?????? As well as we’ve been recruiting in recent years that tells me that either nearly all the OL we’ve recruited for last four years have been busts, or that we haven’t been able to recruit enough OL to a perennial NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP PROGRAM to develop any long-term depth.

Dabo and staff have done an amazing job building this program. Clearly the OL department is BY FAR the weakest link. Time to make a change IMO (far PAST time really).

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why, at this point in the development of...

Nov 28, 2020, 8:57 PM

There are four first year starters because there were four seniors/graduate students on the o-line last year. When you graduate all but one of your o-line starters, you’re going to have four first year starters. Look at Notre Shame’s offensive line. If I’m not mistaken, it’s four seniors and one sophomore. They’ll have the same problem next year. Sometimes, your oldest players happen to be your best players. Therefore, they become your starters. This is usually highly the case with offensive line if the players stay long enough, wouldn’t you agree?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Believe 6 graduated last two years and 1 retired

Nov 28, 2020, 9:43 PM [ in reply to Why, at this point in the development of... ]

7 in 2 years.

Message was edited by: tigertrain®

Re: so, if you're the coach, how would you get the OL better?

Nov 28, 2020, 6:56 PM

Hire a better OL coach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Nov 28, 2020, 6:57 PM

Physical specimens help tremendously on OL - perhaps more than any other position group except height of receivers?

ND has impressively recruited OL, and their presence and stature (and skills, but that can be coached) are difficult to disrupt.

GO TIGERS

Nov 28, 2020, 7:02 PM

Throw on 1st down, set up the run.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And yet no titles.

Nov 28, 2020, 9:45 PM [ in reply to Re: so, if you're the coach, how would you get the OL better? ]

Hard to do everything perfect, every year

Nov 28, 2020, 7:06 PM

Nationwide recruiting, redshirts, power run blocking, strength training, and aggressiveness.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2020, 7:13 PM

We dont look quick. We have some size but are little small compared to some of our opponents. So I say technique and foot speed
We get beat on the snap a lot!

Re: Simple. Stop recruiting only 2-3 per cycle and start

Nov 28, 2020, 8:06 PM

bringing in more. The fact that we have zero depth on the O Line, with only 1 senior, says it all.

Screw Calford.

Re: Simple. Stop recruiting only 2-3 per cycle and start

Nov 28, 2020, 9:19 PM

I agree, long term, I would increase our numbers on the OL at the expense of RB. No reason to recruit 2 RB a year unless there is unexpected attrition or we are moving them to a different position. I think we can loose 1 on our LB numbers with what modern offenses look like.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2020, 8:59 PM

Over recruit on o line and land several five star lineman in each class!

Nov 28, 2020, 9:19 PM

Scheme and play calling is not helping our guys. Zone blocking with all new players is tough as there are combo blocks where C and G have to work together up to the LB. this takes time to learn how the guy next to you is going to play and vice versa. So if the D has four down and two to three LBs, and we are blocking with only five guys which we do a lot, our line has to block the other side perfectly. We run a bunch of plays that just aren’t easy blocking schemes. (No this is not coach Caldwell replying)

SO.....play calling has to give them a better chance by being more creative on first to make the run plays “easier” on second and third. Jet sweep, quick slant, etc on first would help.

Bring in a TE close or a half back as an extra blocker.

On pass blocking our tackles have to get better with their first kick step ....I thought Carmen was dominate last year, but this year, he is getting beat a lot..the RT is the same.

I think they can be good, but they need some help!

Nov 28, 2020, 9:33 PM

Back in my football days.... the O-Line hit the sleds and drove them up and down the field... mind you that was 25 years ago. And then scrimmaged live (full speed). I know that times have changed, but they were on the most aggressive and well conditioned athletes on the field. Need some of that nastiness that I see in some other O-Lines. Gotta change something.

Nov 28, 2020, 9:23 PM

Go to Nebraska and see if anyone will transfer for a chance to win games.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic